Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Playing with family

Saurumn
12.07.2012 , 08:00 PM | #1
I want to start by saying I am a big fan of the game and think it is great. This is why I recommended that my sister join me in playing. I bought a physical copy of the game and registered it. This was back in January. She wants to start now. I installed the game on two computers in my house, I was hoping she could play on one while I play on the other, so we could have our characters meet up and work together. This has not worked however.

My question is, do I need to purchase a second physical copy of the game, and install that and register that on one of the computers before my sister and I can play at the same time? She has an e-mail account/subscription to swtor, but it may be on my purchased copy.

I would greatly appreciate any clarification I could get here!

Thank you!

Valethar
12.07.2012 , 08:30 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Saurumn View Post

My question is, do I need to purchase a second physical copy of the game, and install that and register that on one of the computers before my sister and I can play at the same time? She has an e-mail account/subscription to swtor, but it may be on my purchased copy.

Thank you!
You will need two separate accounts, both of which need their own copy of the game, in order to play. You cannot use the same physical copy of the game on two computers at once, as both accounts require their own product serial key.

If she has her own account, which she logs into with a different User ID and Password from yours, she should have no issues logging in and playing at the same time as you. The product serial key is tied to the account, not the computer.

If her characters and yours show up on the same character list when you play the game, then you're both using the same account. You would need to create a second account, and purchase a second copy of the game, in order to play together at the same time. Unfortunately, you cannot transfer characters from one account to another, which means one of you would need to completely start over on that second account.

She may be currently on a refer a friend account, or possibly now on a Free to Play account, which would explain the email address you mentioned. She would still be required to upgrade to a full subscription, which would require a copy of the game, again separate from your copy, in order to play together without any of the F2P restrictions.
"Due to the massive loss of subscribers in our flagship title, we decided to cancel Blizzcon this year, because frankly, we don't think there's anyone left who would show up."

Saurumn
12.07.2012 , 08:42 PM | #3
Thank you, that clarifies things. I appreciate the help.

Amodin
12.07.2012 , 08:57 PM | #4
Most of what was said was accurate - except the part about the physical copy.

You can actually copy over the physical copy from one computer to another and use it for two separate accounts. The key is irrelevant for physical copies. Those are tied to the accounts which will reside online (key xx1 is tied to user1@whatever.com and key x2 is tied to user2@whatever.com - the copy of the game itself can be installed anywhere).

The login accounts control the games, not the physical copies of the game. As long as an individual has an account that was purchased and tied to their account, they can play the game - doesn't matter what copy is where.

My suggestion would be for her to try it out on Free to Play, and use her login credentials to play. If she likes it, just upgrade her account to a subscriber, at which point you can purchase it, activate the key they give and tie it to her account. There will not have to be any re-installation of the game or anything like that.

Valethar
12.07.2012 , 10:26 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Amodin View Post
Most of what was said was accurate - except the part about the physical copy.
Actually, it was entirely accurate. Each physical copy of the game has it's own key in the box, which can only be used once. Given the context of the original question, the reply was correct.
"Due to the massive loss of subscribers in our flagship title, we decided to cancel Blizzcon this year, because frankly, we don't think there's anyone left who would show up."

morfius
12.08.2012 , 05:03 AM | #6
There is no such thing as using a installation once in MMO world... key you speak about is linked to account not to installation.
I have 2 accounts (for me & my wife) but used one installation and then copied it to second PC... then 1st one broke due path, copied back, then changed laptop and copied again.
Game doesn't care about that...
Digital download also doesn't care.
You cannot start same account twice... to be clear.
As game now is F2P - everyone may download it and start F2P account - then subscribe.
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

Amodin
12.08.2012 , 12:29 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Valethar View Post
Actually, it was entirely accurate. Each physical copy of the game has it's own key in the box, which can only be used once. Given the context of the original question, the reply was correct.
And what you quoted left out the most important part.

The person above me is also correct. What I stated is also correct and if you cared to read, is somewhat agreeing with what you just said. If you had cared to read anymore past what you quoted of me, you would see that.