Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cartel coins refund due to broken purchase

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Cartel coins refund due to broken purchase
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ChrisTOTG
12.06.2012 , 10:07 PM | #1
I accidentally bought a per-character unlock using a pretty egregious design flaw in the user interface, and I'd like a refund:
  • I looked in my ship's cargo bay
  • I clicked on "purchase a new bay"
  • There were several options, none of which looked like I was about to make an irrevocable decision
  • I hit 'purchase' so I could see the purchasing options.
  • This is where the problem hit: There wasn't a confirmation box, no shopping cart, no warning - just an instant purchase of a per-character cargo bay for 475 points.

I am not going to buy a single cargo bay for points. If I wanted to, I'd buy the unlock for all characters instead. The underlying problem here is that the UI for buying products outside of the cartel market is BROKEN. I shouldn't be able to click on the wrong part of the giant 'purchase' page and be out non-refundable points without even a confirmation box. I would like a refund of my points.

There is another problem. This is the response I got from the in-game customer "service":

Thank you for contacting us regarding your purchase using cartel coins.
Unfortunately we do not refunds using cartel coins and this time so we are unable to refund your purchase of the extra cargo bay unlock.
All purchases can be reviewed before purchase using the cartel market check out tab this is, of course, not true

ChrisTOTG
12.07.2012 , 09:20 PM | #2
So, uhh... anyone from the customer support team there?

ChrisTOTG
12.09.2012 , 08:33 AM | #3
Dum de dum de dum... day 3 of no answer.

ChrisTOTG
12.09.2012 , 09:34 PM | #4
Sure would be nice to have an answer.

ChrisTOTG
12.10.2012 , 10:05 AM | #5
Best way to get people to feel like they are cared about? SHOW people that they are cared about!

You know, if you guys are so overworked that you can't even respond to tickets or posts like this, then maybe you should put a sticky up telling people to wait 3 weeks for a response. Or even send an automatic response directly to the user saying the same thing.

I feel like I'm being ignored, whether it's true or not, and I'm going to cancel my subscription if I don't get some kind of response.

Argleb_
12.10.2012 , 10:20 AM | #6
id say if you want instant help call them on the phone talk to the people there, im sure they can help you over at their billing department, and if they say they cant help ask to speak to a supervisor that should help solve your issue.

Cerimon
12.10.2012 , 11:12 AM | #7 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings ChrisTOTG,

Please be advised that there is an option in your User Interface preferences called 'Purchase Confirmation Dialog'. Please re-enable this option to prevent inadvertent purchases in future.

Thank you for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

ChrisTOTG
12.10.2012 , 12:29 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Cerimon View Post
Greetings ChrisTOTG,

Please be advised that there is an option in your User Interface preferences called 'Purchase Confirmation Dialog'. Please re-enable this option to prevent inadvertent purchases in future.

Thank you for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic
Thanks for... well, for replying.

Unfortunately, it doesn't address my concern and in fact exacerbates it: Since there is a piece of UI intended specifically to prevent this issue, Bioware understands there is a necessity for it. Since it was disabled, and not even announced, I maintain that a refund is owed. There really isn't any room for weaseling here.
  1. This should be enabled by default.
  2. It wasn't, so I made an accidental purchase. I'd still like that refund.

The dishonesty (or incompetence, considering the grammatical errors) in the initial support response make it even worse. When making a purchase as described in my post, it's not clear that there is even a purchase being made until after it's completed.

edit: Wait, "re-enable"? I never disabled or modified any settings regarding cartel coins, so there is no "re-enable". If it's off, it was disabled by default.

second edit: I just checked in my game. Both of those settings are ENABLED. So the problem is still worse - while enabled by default, it doesn't apply to purchases made in the way I described in my first post.

Cerimon
12.11.2012 , 05:17 AM | #9 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
ChrisTOTG,

Purchase confirmation dialogs are enabled by default. If you did not see any confirmation when making a purchase this is because the option to not show the confirmation was selected. I have confirmed this purchase confirmation is shown when purchasing the cargo bay expansion unless the option to not show further purchase confirmations is selected.

We ask for your patience until your current support request ticket is attended to.

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

stephenalandavie
12.11.2012 , 05:48 AM | #10
Has Barney Stinson would say "lawyered"