Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crafting free for your mats - Legit?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Crafting free for your mats - Legit?

Webalienz
12.05.2012 , 02:40 PM | #1
I see folks in the general chat offering to craft 27 enhancements/mods/barrels/hilts, usually with a message like this:

crafting <insert_end_game_item_modification> 27 free with your mats

Are these folks legit, or do people send them their mats and they take them and you never hear from them again? Would the better way to handle it be to only do trades with folks who have pre-made items?

Oggthebase
12.05.2012 , 03:09 PM | #2
it may be legit if they're hoping for a crit and get x2, so they would get to keep the proc, but I would not trust a crafter with expensive mats unless he's part of a reputable guild and you've asked his GM if he's part of their regular roster.

Infalliable
12.05.2012 , 03:14 PM | #3
In general it is legit. They are hoping to take your mats, and get a critical. Then sell the extra one.

There is quite a bit of trust involved in this arrangement though, and potential to get screwed. To prevent fraud, have them pre-make one and just swap it immediately for your mats.

psandak
12.05.2012 , 04:22 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Webalienz View Post
I see folks in the general chat offering to craft 27 enhancements/mods/barrels/hilts, usually with a message like this:

crafting <insert_end_game_item_modification> 27 free with your mats

Are these folks legit, or do people send them their mats and they take them and you never hear from them again? Would the better way to handle it be to only do trades with folks who have pre-made items?
ideally the latter is a better option all around. You get what you want right away with zero chance of being ripped off.

That being said there are ways to protect yourself:

- get a clear/definitive response from the crafter through chat as to what the transaction will entail (preferably in a chat window separate from everything else - create a new chat window and set it up to only view whispers). The more detailed the better.
- friend that character so you can see when he/she logs in
- note the legacy name (if available)
- you can get take a screenshot of the chat (printscreen or windows 7 snipping tool)
- save that screenshot and if you get ripped off, you can submit a request to Customer Service for a return of your materials.

Webalienz
12.05.2012 , 04:39 PM | #5
Thanks everybody! I hadn't thought about them wanting to possibly get a x2 return as to why they were willing to craft. Makes perfect sense! But I will probably just hold out for those who already have crafted the items that I want and just trade them my mats.

tiltion
12.05.2012 , 05:50 PM | #6
Back when I played another MMO this was the most common crafting set up. You didn't hope for crits to get 2 of the item, but rather you expected a tip. It's a fairly routine setup in online games.
"...another reason why you canít mail your incredibly dirty messages to members of the opposite faction. ...Empire players would start sending horrific messages Ė and I mean horrific Ė so thatís what we want to avoid." - Creative Director James Ohlen

Webalienz
12.05.2012 , 06:01 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by tiltion View Post
Back when I played another MMO this was the most common crafting set up. You didn't hope for crits to get 2 of the item, but rather you expected a tip. It's a fairly routine setup in online games.
Yeah, I've seen some people say "Your mats + tip", or they even specify the amount (usually 100k-200k).

Bida
12.05.2012 , 09:03 PM | #8
Sometimes the crafter has one ready that he will trade for your mats on the spot. But, if you have to wait for the crafter to make your item, take some screenshots. Make sure to screenshot the conversation, and the trade of the materials. That way if you do get hosed, you can get your stuff back.

Draloch
12.06.2012 , 12:30 AM | #9
I don't really see any complaints about people ripping anyone off. You'd basically only get to do it once or twice before you got a bad reputation. The people who work hard to get those schematics aren't going to resort to that behavior.

Nythain
12.06.2012 , 03:34 AM | #10
Apparently scamming has gotten to a decent point with this... So much so I've noticed more and more crafting adverts mentioning specifically that they have pre-mades.

As others have mentioned, the Primary goal is a 2x crit. Also, people tend to tip "free" and it's easier to get business with "free" and hopes of a tip, than advertising a set in stone high price.