Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How hard would it be to play just the class story?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How hard would it be to play just the class story?

gwek
12.05.2012 , 10:42 AM | #1
I'm playing through my first character and almost to the end of Act Two, which has gotten me thinking about the future. I would love to play through all eight class storylines, but the idea of doing the same sidequests 4 or 8 times leaves me cold.

How feasible is it to play JUST the story missions? This would clearly result is less experience (so lower level) and less coin (so less equipment). How crippling would that be? Has anyone tried it?

Secondary question: If just the storyline is not feasible, does anyone have suggestions on the quickest/most efficient way to offset things? I've got a wife and a three-year-old and they've been very patient with me as I play through my Jedi Knight, but I don't see that patients lasting through 7 other classes.

SNCommand
12.05.2012 , 10:46 AM | #2
You can't do just the story missions, but you can skip a lot of things, make sure you get as much XP as you can from everything you do, legacy character XP unlocks, XP boosters, rest XP and you should at the least be able to drop all the bonus series and maybe even much of a few planets
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

Harsisus
12.05.2012 , 10:47 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by gwek View Post
I'm playing through my first character and almost to the end of Act Two, which has gotten me thinking about the future. I would love to play through all eight class storylines, but the idea of doing the same sidequests 4 or 8 times leaves me cold.

How feasible is it to play JUST the story missions? This would clearly result is less experience (so lower level) and less coin (so less equipment). How crippling would that be? Has anyone tried it?

Secondary question: If just the storyline is not feasible, does anyone have suggestions on the quickest/most efficient way to offset things? I've got a wife and a three-year-old and they've been very patient with me as I play through my Jedi Knight, but I don't see that patients lasting through 7 other classes.
Good luck keeping your character leveled enough to do them...

The planet quests are there to help you develop your character. There aren't nearly enough main story ones to level you up far enough to even stay high enough to 2 planets in quick succession, let alone all of them.

Nanglez
12.05.2012 , 10:53 AM | #4

I tend to only really level this way - >

1. Skip all/most side missions
2. Do space missions when they're listed as orange/and obviously do them when they first appear for the extra xp
3. Do my daily warzones
4. Kill so trash here and there as i make my way around doing class quest
5. All of this need's to be done with the legacy xp perks purchased, or it doesn't work so well.
6. With the introduction of the xp boosts, i often get a 1 or 3 hour boost.
7. You can get a decent amount of xp from maxing out your companions affection. Their missions become available as you progress through the story, but if you say.. wait till level 40, and then do all the convo's at once, you'll get a level or so out of it.
8. Occasionally do solo heroics if you have the gear/skill to do so.

This has worked for the two 50's i have, and a 3rd level 45.

Vandicus
12.05.2012 , 10:55 AM | #5
Rolling an alt on the other side is a good way to get a completely fresh experience.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

MrSchmo
12.05.2012 , 10:57 AM | #6
With all of the legacy xp boosts unlocked, I can get through doing only the class and planetary quests and still stay on level. you may need to do a FP here and there but I no longer do the side quests unless it's an easy on that I can do on the way to my next destination. Good luck.
That's why they call it space, cause there is so much of it.

sanchito
12.05.2012 , 11:05 AM | #7
I only warzone and then run through all the class missions of a planet once i have gained enough levels to complete the planet. If you have a crafting skill that can help keep you geared it works out pretty well, ie you always have enough creds for your abilities, gear and speeder 1 & 2., Space mission dailies and flashpoints help a lot if you like them.

I never tried it but if you have rested XP, legacy and cartel XP boost and only do WZ daily, space daily. flashpoints and class missions that might just work out

Khevar
12.05.2012 , 11:20 AM | #8
I'm currently working on my sniper, having bought every XP perk and running with the +25% XP bonus consumable at all times.

Each planet (for the most part) is 4 levels above the previous (Balmorra 16-20, Nar Shadaa 20-24, Alderaan 24-28, etc)

But with all these leveling perks, the class quests alone provide maybe 2 levels worth of XP per planet. The choices to augment the XP are:

1. Warzones
2. Space Missions
3. Side Quests

You'll have to do at least one of those 3 things to not fall too far behind. Once you hit 5 levels below mobs, they keep resisting / dodging most of your attacks. Even if you could kill them, it takes so long it's not worth it. I found this out the hard way on Belsavis when I spent 5 minutes killing one guy.

Icestar
12.05.2012 , 11:21 AM | #9
How feasible is it to play JUST the story missions?
I have a character that has maxxed out all exp perks and basicly only does story missions, flashpoints and PvP

It has worked so far
"Though free to think and act, we are held together, like the stars in the firmament, with ties inseparable. These ties cannot, be seen, but, we can feel them"
- Nikola Tesla

Anzel
12.05.2012 , 11:25 AM | #10
Like others have stated, this is entirely possible. I played through the class story on my Marauder so many times in beta that it's been almost a year since launch and I still haven't leveled him :O

I do the following now to level my alts

1.) Max out all of the character perks in my legacy.
2.) Purchase packs of Major Experience Boosts.
3.) Do all of my class missions.
4.) Do all of the planet missions.
5.) Lots and lots of War Zones (good XP here)
6.) Flashpoints here and there.
ANZEL - Master Bounty Hunter - Corbantis Galaxy - 06/23/2003
ANZEL - Bounty Hunter / Mercenary - The Corbantis Legacy - 12/13/2011
ANZEL - SWG EMU - CORE 1 Developer - 06/2006