Dark Side Choices

svodola

I'm sure this has been posted a million times but I need to say it: the Dark Side choices in this game do not represent the cold, logical thinking of the Sith we see in the movies; it's more of a Chaotic Evil approach.

A specific instance for why this a problem:

On Hoth, Commander Triton is bollocksing up his command because he's a terrible officer. The Chiss captain directly under him saves the base's skin on numerous missions. At the end of the series, you are given an option: keep the moron commander or promote the Chiss Captain to Commander of the base. For some unknown reason, it is a Light Side choice to promote the Chiss, who was single-handedly responsible for missions that resulted in the deaths of a hundred plus Talz; and a Dark Side choice to keep the moron in power.

When did Dark Side become "not logical"? There are plenty of examples of chaotic evil Dark Side events (Anakin murdering all the Jedi padawans) but what about Darth Vader killing the incompetent commander in Empire Strikes Back and promoting his subordinate? Failure is not acceptable to the Sith, yet my character is supposed to get Dark Side Points for keeping the incompetent, useless commander in power?

The Dark Side is the path of raw emotionality; it lacks control at times but it is also brutally calculating (as seen in the original 3 Star Wars movies). For the love of all that is Star Wars, give me some Dark Side choices that aren't always "i'm F***ing crazy! DIE!"

My 2 cents.

Svodola.

The simple answer is that those who choose to follow the path of the Dark Side in the movies are not such puppets to their power as to always choose the most evil path. You can be a Sith with a few Light Side "points" here and there. Certainly, taking the most evil option without concern for the ramifications might make one more powerful simply in terms of the use of the Dark Side (see also: "Go murder children" from Ep. III), but sometimes, it's about more than just one form of power.

With regards to why the choice in particular is set up the way it is, it's a matter of the Chiss being an "alien". By promoting his inept commander instead, it advances the Empire's manifesto of oppressing non-humans, while still forcing the Chiss captain to service his Imperial masters.