Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Importance of Player Feedback with the New Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Importance of Player Feedback with the New Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Bugattiboy's Avatar


Bugattiboy
12.04.2012 , 04:54 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeff Hickman
Our community team truly has an ear to the ground with community concerns and discussions and we often make changes based on player feedback.
Just because you say so doesn't make it true. I think Vokk from Esseles said it best. "Words are nothing without action."

And when you do make changes it's mostly changes that were never needed or asked for in the classic EA method of fixing what isn't broken.

librarygiant's Avatar


librarygiant
12.04.2012 , 04:59 PM | #32
My suggestion would be to unlimit chat for F2P. One thing that will keep people on is if they develop friends on a server... they will come back for people, instead of for the story (as good as it is). However, if they can't develop friends (because they have to talk like Captain Kirk), then they're going to play less frequently.

In many ways, it feels like the wrong things were restricted. Content was unrestricted, but gameplay and interactivity were crippled. One toolbar. Slow chat. Sure, you can't play all the races, but the race is largely irrelevant. You can play all the classes, which is where the content is. (I will say, restricting us to two crew skills was great, and no skill queue... those features ALONE are worth paying for, and the ability to skill queue creation needs to be in the cartel store). I also feel like the cartel store is a bit light on content that I want. There's fancy clothes, sure, but other than that? What I'd pay for is a shared storage between characters, instead of relying on mail... a legacy bank, instead of a guild bank.

As it stands, SWTOR is basically a big single-player game with the occasional mutliplayer options, if you're F2P. The MMO part of the game is lost under restrictions. I'm enjoying the game, and I am a subscriber, now... but I subscribed out of frustration, rather than a sense of "I need to get more."

Bugattiboy's Avatar


Bugattiboy
12.04.2012 , 05:01 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by librarygiant View Post
I subscribed out of frustration, rather than a sense of "I need to get more."
Hit the nail right on the head. That's probably what 75% (a very, very conservative estimate) of the once-FTP players have done.

James_four's Avatar


James_four
12.04.2012 , 05:05 PM | #34
If there will be a vast increase in the number of characters that can be created per account I can see characters being created just to camp out names. This will make creating names for characters rather difficult.

CKNORTH's Avatar


CKNORTH
12.04.2012 , 05:05 PM | #35
Could you raise the credit cap?! Please? I mean really........

Edit: it would be the only thing that needs to be done, make credit cap unlimited, and have all unlocks available on the GTN and I mean everything from Legacy unlocks to extra character slots. You could also keep the game as restricted as you wanted. Subbed make credits from preferred and f2p , and Cartel store has every unlock under the sun. And instead of weekly unlocks for heroics and OP's make them one time unlock for character or account..
Pre-Order Knight of the Republic

Don't use this Link it's Borked,
Oh Wait! they UnBorked the link! you must Choose, but Choose Wisely!

ApocalypseDan's Avatar


ApocalypseDan
12.04.2012 , 05:06 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by librarygiant View Post
My suggestion would be to unlimit chat for F2P. One thing that will keep people on is if they develop friends on a server... they will come back for people, instead of for the story (as good as it is). However, if they can't develop friends (because they have to talk like Captain Kirk), then they're going to play less frequently.

In many ways, it feels like the wrong things were restricted. Content was unrestricted, but gameplay and interactivity were crippled. One toolbar. Slow chat. Sure, you can't play all the races, but the race is largely irrelevant. You can play all the classes, which is where the content is. (I will say, restricting us to two crew skills was great, and no skill queue... those features ALONE are worth paying for, and the ability to skill queue creation needs to be in the cartel store). I also feel like the cartel store is a bit light on content that I want. There's fancy clothes, sure, but other than that? What I'd pay for is a shared storage between characters, instead of relying on mail... a legacy bank, instead of a guild bank.

As it stands, SWTOR is basically a big single-player game with the occasional mutliplayer options, if you're F2P. The MMO part of the game is lost under restrictions. I'm enjoying the game, and I am a subscriber, now... but I subscribed out of frustration, rather than a sense of "I need to get more."
^^ This!!
The Dark Side will devour those who lack the power to control it.

Grecanis's Avatar


Grecanis
12.04.2012 , 05:07 PM | #37
As an altoholic I'm happy too see more slots opened. Now you need to make it worth-while to use those slots.

- Legacy cargo hold.
- Adding legacy toons to mailbox autofill (tired of typing out names)
- Another server or two
- Bind on Legacy

Make the game fun for altaholics ...it's a PITA now

On another note ..fix the daggum launch and landing sequences!

- When entering ship you simply enter ship.
- You launch by choosing to launch.
- you land by choosing to land ...then you open the door

oh ...^ that also ...open the chat for f2p'rs
I plan on living forever ...so far so good!
Squadron 238

Sir_Galapagos's Avatar


Sir_Galapagos
12.04.2012 , 05:09 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkLordKvall View Post
Honestly this fixes the main two problems I had with the free to play option- the character and skill limits. Everything else is primarily cosmetic in my opinion. Those two things allow free to play to be the full experience. Is it perfect? Maybe not, but I think it's incredible for being able to play a game like this for zero cost. Keep up the good work!
This game isn't a charity. Bioware doesn't want you to "have the full experience" , they would make no money.DUH. Why can f2p post on forums?
]█=]]]]]]▒▒▒{█=████████████████████████████████)

Vlacke's Avatar


Vlacke
12.04.2012 , 05:09 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Alexbeav View Post
While I am preparing a thorough post with my feedback about free-to-play, my main gripe is with the way flashpoints, operations and warzones are handled for non-subscribers. I can understand that those would be the main reason someone would subscribe after playing the game all the way through to 50 with a character, but this is an alternate way to handle it :

  • Allow players access to all normal Tier 1 flashpoints.
  • Allow players to purchase access to normal Tier 2 flashpoints.
  • Allow players to purchase access to Heroic Tier 1,2 Flashpoints
  • Allow players access to all Tier 1 operations.
  • Allow players to purchase access to Tier 2 operations.
  • Allow players to purchase access to Tier 1 Heroic Operations.
  • Allow players to purchase access to Tier 1 Nightmare Operations.
  • Allow players to purchase a single Warzone for unlimited play.

Bundles could be made to include [Heroic Flashpoints] [All Normal Operations] [All Heroic Tier 1 Operations] [3 Warzone Pack] etc.

This would allow free players to experience the storyline of Operations and Flashpoints, while giving the option of paying a one-time fee to unlock content (like Section X for example). The weekly pass for operations and warzones never made much sense to me (in my opinion, a monthly pass would be a more logical choice).

It comes to reason that subscribers will always have the edge over preferred/free players, an option would be to allow purchasing newer Tiers of content after a certain amount of time (2 weeks/1 month) for preferred accounts. From an economical viewpoint, it makes sense that people who want to really put time in the game will subscribe, as it will be cheaper than buying all the content separately, but people who don't play fixed amounts of time (I may log in 5 times one month, and log in every day another), just straight-out buying the content I want to play will make me a happy customer.

A good idea would be after a certain amount of time to open the oldest content Tier (i.e. we are at Tier 4-5, open Tier 1) to free accounts. Most players (especially subscribers) will have little to no reason to run those instances anyway.

This system is modeled strongly after Age of Conan's shop system, which gave the option of either a subscription and full access, or limited access but the option to buy literally all the game's features (including heroics,raids, expansions etc.). I believe this will echo strongly to the people who are unwilling to pay a subscription because they play sporadically, but still want access to everything.
Hilarious.
Those who want all that will have to cough up subscription money, as they should.
These are excellent additions for preferred lot, and those who are full f2p and don't want to spend a dime are also just fine with what is available to them.
Telcontar Legacy

Grecanis's Avatar


Grecanis
12.04.2012 , 05:11 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by James_four View Post
If there will be a vast increase in the number of characters that can be created per account I can see characters being created just to camp out names. This will make creating names for characters rather difficult.
too late ...they're already gone
I plan on living forever ...so far so good!
Squadron 238