Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Importance of Player Feedback with the New Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Importance of Player Feedback with the New Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

GwynbleiddiuM
12.05.2012 , 04:30 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Silvers View Post
I'm a subscriber and I strongly believe that f2pers should not have to pay for UI components like hotbars. UI is not content, it is part of the infrastructure of the game to allow people to play the game. It just smacks of greed, in my humble opinion.
I agree with that. I'm fine with most restrictions but UI component restriction is just sad. All in all I'm glad they're listening to people. I'm also glad that BioWare still fighting to push SWTOR forward and not abandoning it even though I'm sure they're under heavy pressure from EA.

PS: All I want personally is a dual spec option. So I can pick up corruption alongside of Madness. It's only logical to be able to do that since support roles are in a greater need.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

ZeroPlus
12.05.2012 , 04:30 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTartus View Post
Free to play members should not be limited on character customization like they are. It takes away from the role-playing aspect to be limited to the being just a plain human/cyborg with the only alien species available is Zabraks (available without spending Cartel Coins). They should have the same character customization that is available to a brand new subscriber making his/her first character as well.
If someone buys the game (it costs 15$ and comes with 1 month free) they have the same character creation options as any subscriber. They can then not subscribe and they will become preferred players. Considering that we are talking about 15$, there is no reason why somebody who has tried the game as a F2P and enjoyed it but decided that they really wanted a SITH Sith Warrior (for example) wouldn't go this route to unlock all the character race selections you get "out of the box".
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTartus View Post
Also, they should be able to hide their helmet slot to their desire, show their legacy name, unify armor colors, quickbar amount, etc. All these restrictions to FTP customization are unnecessary to have.
All of these restrictions are not nescessary to play the game either. Considering that they are playing for free, if it is really important to them, they can either unlock them (on a character or account-wide basis) or they can subscribe. On the other hand, there are plenty of pieces of gear that "go together", either color wise or because they are part of the same set, that can be acquired naturally from the GTN, quests and Planet Heroics (that's the way we all did it before "color matching" was added to the game). For the helmet slot, there are a number of "circlet style" helmets in the game (for all armor types) that don't cover the face (again, thats what we used for our companions before "hide helmet" was implemented for companions). Spending 4 euros (or buying the game or subscribing for 1 month) will make you a Preferred Status player and provide you with 4 quickbars. There really isn't a problem here.

Quote: Originally Posted by SithMalfurio View Post
Free to play people have no right to complain, they should be happy ....
I tend to agree. *However* I still feel that they should be able to report in game issues they find. I also feel that there should be a forum section where they can post so that they can ask questions and interact with the community in some way.
If you seek answers, you must always ask questions. - Master Vandar Tokare.

[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model = DONE!

OddballEasyEight
12.05.2012 , 04:31 AM | #123
Heh... i find it immensely amusing that they want feedback from the players regarding the new F2P option and then dont let F2P players post on the forums...

Great way to get feedback guys :P

Maby they could send them a letter :P

(yeah, i know about facebook and all that, but still).

As for actual feedback?

Heres some in regards to F2P:

1: Relax the "uncalledfor" restrictions a bit. Let them hide headslots and colour coordinate armour. Not for their sake, but for ours... so we dont have to look at clown armour all day.
2: Give them the option of sending items so we dont have to have massive fights if someone happens to need on something in a flashpoint that they really didnt need. Right now they cant even send it to whoever actually needed it if they made a mistake.
Besides, its not going to stop gold farming if thats what its there for. So open up a bit on that ok?

Other than that, the F2P is shaping up. Most can enjoy the game (even ex subbers) enough to get sucked into it and maby spending a few bucks on cartel coins or actually subbing.
And thats why the F2P option is there in the first place.

Other than that, i think the game is progressing in a decent direction as long as you dont start investing all your time and effort in the cartel shop, and keep giving us good content in exchange for our subs.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

Ycoga
12.05.2012 , 04:55 AM | #124
50 characters? More than 50?!

Why the heck would I need to create 20 troopers, or whatever?
'Pre-2.0 PvP... The gear gap was too big and some players became non-contributors quickly because of the gear gap. It wasn’t fun for the majority of players' - Alex Modny

GwynbleiddiuM
12.05.2012 , 05:12 AM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Ycoga View Post
50 characters? More than 50?!

Why the heck would I need to create 20 troopers, or whatever?
Every man needs an army. When I was a Death Knight in service of the High king Varian, I had an army of unliving beings, here I have to make one. So 50, is reasonable.

just to be safe: /sarcasm
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

Erethrian
12.05.2012 , 05:21 AM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by GwynbleiddiuM View Post
Every man needs an army. When I was a Death Knight in service of the High king Varian, I had an army of unliving beings, here I have to make one. So 50, is reasonable.

just to be safe: /sarcasm
If they give us a Legacy ability allowing us to summon other chars from our legacy (maybe as non combatant companions) or something like that, I'm in for 50+ chars. You have to admit you'd love to command your own squad of troopers, hahaha.

hatchery_
12.05.2012 , 05:22 AM | #127
Well, here’s feedback from a returning subscriber after playing for two months after launch without ever hitting the level cap on any of my 8 characters. My impressions: Nice UI changes, funny, yet expensive Legacy and Cartel Market unlocks, and nothing else—the game is still the same and I don’t think I will continue to subscribe.

My friends, who did not return to the game, refered to it as “strongly repetitive”. I believe that has not changed: The quests have more or less interesting stories, but they all come down to “kill stuff” and “kill more for bonus” or the occasional “activate object” (surrounded by enemies)—absolutely boring, especially if you already outlevel your enemies (which just simply happens if you complete the areas before leaving for the next planet) and have to punch your way—yet again—through hordes of enemies, more like a minefield, who just never seem to die, even if killed, they just come back a minute later. Oh, and if you don’t, you get less XP… I would never have imagined that the Dune Sea on Tatooine is such a lively place. There is not one spot anywhere in the world without an enemy spawn in range, or so it would seem.

Without any different ways of playing out my skills, combat will always be “strongly repetitive.” In this game I can’t play the guy I want to be, I play a combat role: one of three, without any chance of playing the non-combat game (just doesn’t exist, which is seriously lacking in an MMO). Crew skills are simply a poor excuse for an interesting crafting/trading/mining system and nothing has changed since launch to improve that experience.

I enjoyed the dialogs, especially the story dialogs seem to be really amazing, or so I thought, until I reached level 25 or something, when the lines and voice overs begin to repeat. It’s just not funny to speak to three different NPCs in the same area and hear you say “What’s the upside for me?” three times… That takes out the last bit of “roleplay” for me, even in my otherwise unlimited imagination, and makes it all grindy. Again, no noticeable changes since launch.

All in all, Star Wars provides a very rich experience, but this game doesn’t hold up and scales it down to combat, playable in three different ways (plus your Rebel Assault flashbacks in space). I know that won’t be enough to keep me here. More depth is needed.

Glower
12.05.2012 , 07:01 AM | #128
Quote:
Starting today, Preferred Status Players will see an increase to their default Quickbars from two (2) to four (4). If you’ve already purchased additional Quickbars, don’t worry: we will be refunding your Cartel Coins for any Quickbar-related purchase.
As subscriber, i need more than 6 Quickbars for all this f2p items, pls do this!
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg; Dec 2016, livestream: "RNG is exciting"
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

MarguApcam
12.05.2012 , 07:46 AM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by Erethrian View Post
If they give us a Legacy ability allowing us to summon other chars from our legacy (maybe as non combatant companions) or something like that, I'm in for 50+ chars. You have to admit you'd love to command your own squad of troopers, hahaha.
Hell yeah it would be awesome, and do like Anakin Skywalker on Ep III it would be awesome xD

And man, i dont want to see another star wars MMO die, just like galaxies, so please hear MORE the peeps in order to it continue up....
I need some credits

apxriel
12.05.2012 , 08:18 AM | #130
I was excited when I first heard that F2P players were limited on warzones. I was hopping this would push the masses into open zones for some large scale PvP fun. Unfortunately there wasnt much of a change in PvP. I, along with my friends are paying subscribers, and will continue to to be, purely for the PvP. We would like to see PvP advancements based on individual long term pvp success.