Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How do I explain this to a new player?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How do I explain this to a new player?

Polebreaker
12.04.2012 , 12:58 PM | #21
I agree, this is one of those stupid bugs that just shows how little thought goes into the polish of this game (leftover saber blades lying around, having to click on the /who search button twice, etc etc.. I'd make a list except I've already reported all the one's I've noticed months ago and none of them have been fixed, barring a couple of spelling errors.)

One reason why this particular one sticks out (har har) is because for a while it was fixed... and then at some point they broke the script again (around 1.2? 1.1?) and its been like that ever since. The real kicker is that in beta, companion sheathing/wielding status simply mirrored whatever it was the player was doing, thus bypassing any kind of script errors completely and placing the control firmly in the hands of the player. Why this, along with so many other things that made sense, got pulled from release is anyone's guess.

Woetoo
12.04.2012 , 01:08 PM | #22
Explain to him that due to poor sales/customer retention, EA/Bioware are under financial pressure.

Most players are aware of the lightsaber bugs, alongside many, many other bugs - but they've gotten used to it. In short, it's not on enough people's radar that EA/BW prioritise fixing it. Sure, everyone finds it annoying - but everyone is still spending money.

• Fixing it won't generate more income.
  • It's not a "big" enough issue to drive customers away.
  • It might be the proverbial straw on the camels back for some people, but they already left a while ago.
  • People have short memories, they are generally concerned with the issue of the moment (HK-51 for example) rather than long standing bugs like the pylon that's in the wrong position during the descent to kill The Infernal One at the end of Eternity Vault. Which is how EA/BW prioritise their fixes.
  • Whilst people sabre rattle in threads like this about general quality and bugs, they keep paying.

Need more examples?...

5th March 2011 - /readycheck - 'nuff said.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEYp0pZd2ag#t=1920s

This line intentionally left blank
Darth Baras: I do not appreciate your doubt. I expect unwavering respect at all times.
I actually laughed out loud.

My SW:TOR Passions : SWTOR is F2P in name only - Varied Choices Within FPs/Ops - Cross Faction Guilds - Better Guild List Panel

dpwms
12.04.2012 , 01:10 PM | #23
I have to admit that this bug annoys the heck out of me. While it doesn't affect gameplay, it must, as the OP suggested, leave a very negative impression on people new to the game. Bad PR to have such highly visible bugs hang around for so long.

Klemence
12.04.2012 , 01:13 PM | #24
The one that bothers me is the taxi speeders disappearing. They never did that for me until 1.4 came along, and now they flicker and disappear all the time. It's silly to look at.

Heezdedjim
12.04.2012 , 01:46 PM | #25
It makes the game look like a cheap piece of crap, and it does so visibly, everywhere you see saber wielding toons. For months and months they couldn't even manage to fix this with players, and sentinels went running around like idiots with sabers sticking through their knees into the ground. The fact that it's so visible, and looks so stupid, is reason enough to fix it; because of what it says to players about how little pride and effort the developers put into their work.

It's like walking onto a car lot and seeing a bunch of cars with the nameplates or logo badges glued on upside down. It doesn't mean a darn thing to how that car drives on the highway, but are you seriously going to consider buying a car from the company that can't get something like that right?

Kubernetic
12.04.2012 , 02:00 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
Ok, I have to take issue with a comment like this.

New players will not likely experience the HK bugs. A new player will MOST DEFINITELY see the lightsaber bug all over the place and experience it themselves as well.

The bug really casts a cheap palor over the game for a new player IMO. It needs to be the TOP fix priority from my perspective. ANYTHING that casts the game in a bad light for new players must be a priority.
Really disagree with this.

The game has its issues, to be sure. But I've been playing this game for a week short of a full year now, and this lightsaber bug doesn't bother me in the least. It will be great when it ultimately gets fixed, but for God's sake, who the hell cares?

Do people actually PLAY games anymore, or do they just wander around pretending to be Quality Control personnel?
Tekay —— En-ki —— Tékay —— Hassle —— Jaksen
Explorer (80%) • Killer (53%) • Socializer (47%) • Achiever (20%)
Excited Star Citizen — But ready to resubscribe when and if...

mavsynchroid
12.04.2012 , 02:02 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
There are only so many hours in a day. This is a silly bug. But it's harmless for most people. If it really ruins your (or your friend's) experience so much, then I really don't think computer games are for you.
I'm sorry but what!? I highly suggest ignoring this comment. Whether or not you think its silly, a lot of players aren't happy about it. It easily breaks immersion and should have been fixed ages ago. Telling people that ifthis bothers tem then computer games aren't for this is a ridiculous and childish statement. People have every right. To be upset about this, and comments like yours are just insulting. Its like me saying "if you don't mind bugs go back to wow". Ys, I know that doesn't make any sense. Neither does yours.

FeelFlow
12.04.2012 , 02:14 PM | #28
Well when I first started playing the game, when out of combat, Kira always had her lightsaber ignited in her hand.

Now when she is out of combat she usually has her lightsaber holstered, but ignited.

I guess that that is an improvement?

Andryah
12.04.2012 , 02:18 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by FeelFlow View Post
Well when I first started playing the game, when out of combat, Kira always had her lightsaber ignited in her hand.

Now when she is out of combat she usually has her lightsaber holstered, but ignited.

I guess that that is an improvement?
Kira is a bad girl. I gave her an electrostaff and she knocked that bad behavior off completely. Someday they will fix the bug, and she can have her lightsaber back.
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

Calsetes
12.04.2012 , 02:23 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Belacose View Post
I don't know, man. Seems most put a large emphasis on how their toons dress and look, myself included.

I quit playing my bounty hunter for a while because I couldn't stand his rice bowl helmet. After my Jedi found a cool bounty hunter helmet I sent to my powertech and found myself playing the character again because, simply, I looked good.

Not being a computer guy I can only tell myself that the DEVs must be really lost on this one. If they're not than there must not be much candid conversation concerning priorities amongst them and whoever the big boss is. Kind of like Jerry Jones keeping himself surrounded by 'yes' men..
Same here. Any Trooper character I have isn't "cool" until I do the quest Trouble In Deed, where you get your first Stormtrooper-style armor. I mean, really - how do people expect us to be good soldiers, wearing heavy armor, when it looks like a jacket with some pockets on it? Now, I know some people dig that look, and that's cool. To me, they aren't a solider (at least, not the kind we play as in this game) until they're wearing armor that could actually protect them from a blaster shot.

I've passed on amazing Jedi gear because I don't dig the Space Monk or Space Samurai looks. I've busted my butt grinding out useless crap so my Sage doesn't wear a dress and robes, but instead something kinda "techie," being a tech-savant Jedi. I sold myself stuff on the HTN just so my Sniper could have a helmet that looks like a gas mask, and not some kinda oddball-looking visor-helmet-thing. I grind Trouble In Deed so that Havoc Squad looks like an easily-identifiable squad, and not an ecclectic mix of different-issue armor and gear. I've kept my Jedi completely gray so he could use one blue saber and one red saber.

Some of us are just like that.
The average person thinks he isn't.
-Anonymous