Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Credits for Money - Is This Intended?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Credits for Money - Is This Intended?

ArzonOng
12.04.2012 , 08:13 AM | #11
Dear Jonmcooper,

1) SWTOR is a very nice game and before this cartel coins thing, I was very fearful that this game will be axed and we won't be able to continue playing this game.

If Bioware did not intend to do this, I hope they will KEEP THIS feature.

Bioware is FINALLY making money and we NEED Bioware to make money or else this game will die.

2) One thing I like about this game compared to World of Warcraft. Money can help you BUY gear. I find this important because I am playing in the Asia Pacific servers where the populations of players are small. We need new players. We do not have time to wait for the new level 50 to slowly gear up.

Eg: It took me only one night using the GTN and 12 mil credits to gear up my commando in full set BH equivalent gear.

Which was enough for me to step in as a back-up dps to help my guild do Nightmare EC ops.

Yes, I do not have experience like the main team but at least I manage to help the team fill up a spot and help the team to kill NM Zorn and Toth. (I was surprised when i top the dps chart).

Our server have too few people geared enough to do Nightmare EC. So this method of using credits to buy gear is very good to help our server.
This would have been impossible to do in World of Warcraft (I stop at end of Catacalysm, i do not know anything about Mist of Pandaria).

3) I am an Asian where the currency is three times lesser compared to US dollars so it cost a lot for me to subscribe to this game. I cannot afford to buy the Cartel Coins using real money but I am happy to buy the items using credits from new players who are cash rich in real money. Isn't this a win-win situation?

CONCLUSION:

We finally see that this game is finally able to earn money. Finally, I no longer have this fear that this nice game will be discontinued by EA.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear Jonmcooper,

Your questions are well thought up and valid but do you need the busy customer service staff to get an official answer for your question?

Shouldn't they use that time to settle more urgent and important issue?

Shouldn't we be happy that this game can finally continue and HOPEFULLY it can run for a few more years entertaining us gamers.

Lastly, I believe the customer service staffs are NOT ignoring your question it is just that your question is really not easy to answer by the front line customer service staff. They will need to get an answer from their managers.
So please give them time and enjoy the game.

Unless you feel that the game is no longer enjoyable because of this then I am truly sorry

Warmest regards

Arzon the noob.

POPsi
12.04.2012 , 08:49 AM | #12
without sarcasm, it's exactly working as intended. RL richer players profit from in-game by selling the stuff. In-game rich ppl profit by buying it. EAWare profits the most, but the above mentioned 2 category does not care. And who is left with nothing? The "poor" category players as usual

nbayer
12.04.2012 , 09:07 AM | #13
The alternative is that you would not be able to buy the cartel items on the GTN at all. I would much prefer to spend in game credits on the items I want from the cartel market then spend actual money.

Furthermore, why do you care if they buy gear with credits they made selling cartel items they paid real money for. Their experience in PVE content has no bearing on you at all.

If you talking PVP then I guess that would be an advantage, but buying gear isn't going to make you a skilled player. I don't do much pvp so I don't really know how it all works but isn't there a valor requirement on high end pvp gear anyway?

battycoda
12.04.2012 , 09:37 AM | #14
They gave you an official response before F2P was ever launched. They said that some items purchased from the Cartel Market would be able to be traded to alts, other players, and put on the GTN. This is not an oversight. This is how it was intended to be. Probably because after opening a number of packs, you find that you have 10 of those hideous evening wear hats. When enough of these things land on the GTN, the price is going to be near nothing for them. Just look at the Rendili Nightshade speeders. When the cooldown on the trade availability expired 2 days after launch, they were 40-50k on the market. Go look now. They are 10k and there are a ton of them there. But since you don't have 10 of them stuck in your cargohold taking up space, you might buy 10 more boxes and get 10 more. People aren't going to keep buying these boxes if they get the same junk over and over and can't get rid of it.

Vindrosa Legacy
Smuggler - 50 | Bounty Hunter - 50
Quote: Originally Posted by AboB View Post
What happens if you use the ball toss emote in a Huttball game?

DarkkChaos
12.04.2012 , 10:10 AM | #15
I don't see the issue here at all!!

I can clear over a million a day....with minimal work! Which means...I don't have to spend a single CENT of real world $$$, and I can buy all the sweet gear I want.

Remember - the people buy/selling cartel items - are SUB'S! They have to be....because it's pointless otherwise, considering the 350k cap on F2P players. These are people that are ALREADY paying for the game.

Issue here = ZERO!

How can it be considered "pay to win" - so what, they can buy end game mods....whoopy-dee-doo!!! How does that make them win? They win...............in PvE?!?! It's not like they are getting some sort of unfair advantage over everyone else - they are simply just speeding up the inevitable. Rather than grinding thru FP after FP to get that gear...they are BUYING from crafter's...thus, helping the people crafting! We all buy/use the same mods... :P

Let the awesomeness continue. If you don't think was people are doing is right, then I suggest you join them and make some credits! :P
CTD...every 120 mins...since : 9/26/2012

dunphyr
12.04.2012 , 10:14 AM | #16
1. People with more money in their pockets have to work less hours.
2. People that work less hours can play this game more.
3. People that can play this game more can spend more time making money and doing raids to get better gear.

THEREFORE, people with more money can get better gear. This is pay to win, so this game should be cancelled.

Wallach
12.04.2012 , 10:14 AM | #17
There is a new loading screen tip that tells players that this is possible and encourages them to sell things on the GTN if they need some credits. I figure that paints BW/EA stance on the subject pretty plainly.

DarkkChaos
12.04.2012 , 10:16 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by dunphyr View Post

THEREFORE, people with more money can get better gear. This is pay to win, so this game should be cancelled.
What??? lol....are you serious? How do they get BETTER gear? They get the same gear YOU do!!! They just don't have to waste hours upon hours grinding for it.....IT'S THE SAME GEAR

Wallach
12.04.2012 , 10:20 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by dunphyr View Post
1. People with more money in their pockets have to work less hours.
2. People that work less hours can play this game more.
3. People that can play this game more can spend more time making money and doing raids to get better gear.

That sound was every deceased teacher of propositional logic rolling in their graves.

DarkkChaos
12.04.2012 , 10:21 AM | #20
If anything...this system is HELPING the game - it's giving crafter'ss the credits they need to keep crafting items. It's giving people who don't WANT to spend real world cash the opportunity to purchase sweet gear.

Anyone who thinks this is "pay to win" really needs to give their head a shake....

Pay to Win = getting something that no one else can, simply by buying outside of the game's normal currency.

This is FAR from the case...