Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Credits for Money - Is This Intended?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Credits for Money - Is This Intended?

So-low
12.04.2012 , 02:47 AM | #1
No, this is not another gold spammer post. That is a separate issue.

With the way the Cartel Coin Market is currently set up, players can buy cartel coins, redeem them for items, and then sell the items on the GTN or by other means after waiting a day. And I'm not talking measly amounts here... some of those items go for A LOT of credits.

This is absolutely a pay to win method, as top end PVE gear, as well as other items, can be bought with credits due to the way crafting/REing works, especially with the " learn schematics from crafted items" exploit Bioware doesn't care about.

So I would like to get an answer from Bioware/Devs. Is this intended? Is players being able to spend real money to acquire credits part of your plan?

Missandei
12.04.2012 , 03:00 AM | #2
Since the average subscriber is worth a $15 a month before 1.5...
and after the 1.5 some people spending more than a $100 a day for CC...
Try to guess how happy the BioWare investors are feeling after 1.5 and what do they think about it..
Missandei Shadow ...yet shadows can kill. And oft-times a very small man can cast a very large shadow.

Sabster
12.04.2012 , 04:11 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by jonmcooper View Post
So I would like to get an answer from Bioware/Devs. Is this intended? Is players being able to spend real money to acquire credits part of your plan?
So what if it was? I'm sure it was considered in the very least.
This is a cool signature. Totally.

MitchPB
12.04.2012 , 04:16 AM | #4
The only reason game company's don't allow credit sales is because they don't profit from it.
<BOG> <Concept>

Karasuko
12.04.2012 , 04:18 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by jonmcooper View Post

This is absolutely a pay to win method, as top end PVE gear, as well as other items, can be bought with credits due to the way crafting/REing works, especially with the " learn schematics from crafted items" exploit Bioware doesn't care about.
OK i'll go slow for you here.
Aside from matrix stabs there is ZERO top end gear on CC market.You might consider the crystals "top end" but aside from a pretty dye job they are on par with crystals available.

What does sell for mega creds is the rare stuff (throne,mask etc) this is defintely not P2W as they have no value aside from aesthetics. Yes you can get stabs but you need 12 per gear piece and if you are wanting to pay a bucketlaod of cash for something that can be easily gotten in raids well more fool you.

JamieKirby
12.04.2012 , 04:20 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by MitchPB View Post
The only reason game company's don't allow credit sales is because they don't profit from it.
this.

The moment game companies can profit from it, the moment they stop preventing, in the end, its all about money, not the safety of your account or legal reasons....its profit....nothing more, nothing less.

DarthSmokealot
12.04.2012 , 04:26 AM | #7
the price of the cartel items is only an issue to those that cant afford to buy either cartel coins with real money , or too poor in game to buy the listed items ...

however , the value of these items is greatly exaggerated by most players , check your legacy properly ppl ... it costs like 5 million credits for a gtn on your ship or about 750 cartel coins .... that makes the investigator outfit and other outfits from the cartel market effectively worth about 8 or 9 million credits ... so someone asking 250k for the chest piece ..... not so unreasonable to me ....

at the end of the day , there is bigger things wrong with the game that needs fixing first ...

i am pleased to see soo much has changed since launch , and i also think the cartel market is a great way for the devs to be able to introduce all sorts extra content for both players and guilds .... now all we need is to be able to donate cartel coins to our guild , and have a guild cratel market with guild starships on it , then different 'room' customization options , such as gtn etc like your personal starship , but also things like a working pazaak table and other fun 'mini games' we can do asa guild , maybe even our own pvp area for duelling / practising tactics with your guild , even if no valour is awarded , woudl make a good practice area ...
Urrrggghhh Hurrrgghhh Hurgh Cough .......... The Force Is Strong With This One

So-low
12.04.2012 , 05:03 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Karasuko View Post
OK i'll go slow for you here.
Aside from matrix stabs there is ZERO top end gear on CC market.You might consider the crystals "top end" but aside from a pretty dye job they are on par with crystals available.

What does sell for mega creds is the rare stuff (throne,mask etc) this is defintely not P2W as they have no value aside from aesthetics. Yes you can get stabs but you need 12 per gear piece and if you are wanting to pay a bucketlaod of cash for something that can be easily gotten in raids well more fool you.
Apparantly I need to go slow for you as well. I know reading comprehension can be hard for some.

1. Player buys cartel coins.
2. Player uses purchased coins to buy (for example) 2 cartel packs
3. Player sells cartel packs on GTN for hundreds of thousands of credits.
4. Player buys (for example) 63 level gear from GTN with those credits.

Thus, players with money to burn on CC have the advantage. Bioware is essentially selling credits, though in an indirect way.

Don't be fooled this IS a pay to win model, just not directly. I.E. they are not selling the 63 pieces on the market, yet any player who chooses to spend money can gear up by paying cash.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sabster View Post
So what if it was? I'm sure it was considered in the very least.
I would simply like to get an official response from Bioware if they support this pay to win model. I and many others would like to know if this is the direction the game is planning on going in.

You will notice that in none of my posts am I explicitly for or against this method of purchasing credits, I am simply seeking an answer from Bioware.

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSmokealot View Post
the price of the cartel items is only an issue to those that cant afford to buy either cartel coins with real money , or too poor in game to buy the listed items ...

however , the value of these items is greatly exaggerated by most players , check your legacy properly ppl ... it costs like 5 million credits for a gtn on your ship or about 750 cartel coins .... that makes the investigator outfit and other outfits from the cartel market effectively worth about 8 or 9 million credits ... so someone asking 250k for the chest piece ..... not so unreasonable to me ....
I never stated that the prices players are asking was unreasonable. If that is what you think the thread is about I suggest you reread my OP. However you did give a good example of how money is exchanged for credits. Buy 750 cartel coins, buy the investigator outfit, and sell it for 8 mil. Use the 8 mil for whatever (gear up in 63s, etc). That is pay to win.

Quote:
at the end of the day , there is bigger things wrong with the game that needs fixing first ...
This is debatable. It is also debateable whether or not this even needs a fix, as there are thousands who support P2W and thousands who are against it. This issue is however game-changing/game-breaking. It is comparable to offering Dread Guard gear on the Cartel Shop.

Quote:
i am pleased to see soo much has changed since launch , and i also think the cartel market is a great way for the devs to be able to introduce all sorts extra content for both players and guilds .... now all we need is to be able to donate cartel coins to our guild , and have a guild cratel market with guild starships on it , then different 'room' customization options , such as gtn etc like your personal starship , but also things like a working pazaak table and other fun 'mini games' we can do asa guild , maybe even our own pvp area for duelling / practising tactics with your guild , even if no valour is awarded , woudl make a good practice area ...
While I enjoy reading people's ideas on how to improve the game, I will implore you from keeping them out of this thread as I am trying to avoid one of Bioware's dreaded canned "Thank you for the suggestion, please put it in the suggestion box forum" responses.

Keskie
12.04.2012 , 05:39 AM | #9
Quote:
I would simply like to get an official response from Bioware if they support this pay to win model.
They put this feature in the game themselves. Of course they support it.

Connar
12.04.2012 , 06:35 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Karasuko View Post
OK i'll go slow for you here..
deleted