Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Free Up Names From Inactive Lvl 1 Characters

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Free Up Names From Inactive Lvl 1 Characters

Dash_Socur
11.30.2012 , 02:33 AM | #1
With the server merges, there were a lot of people who made "name saving" characters (a hurriedly-made lvl 1 that wasn't played once they were past character creation) on the destination servers. There's nothing wrong with that except that many of these "temporary" characters still exist and are still lvl 1 months later. It's rather obvious that they are not coming back any time soon so why should they still hold that name slot that others had to give up?

My proposal:
1) After 3 months of inactivity on the part of a character (not account) a check is made
2) If the character is still lvl 1, it is renamed by the system with a placeholder name (like when the servers were merged)

The 3 month window should ensure that people who genuinely want to save a name for future use can still reasonably do it. At the same time, this would still free up quite a few names from people who have no intention of using them. If the account owner later returns, there's nothing stopping them from changing the name back to what it was provided no one else has claimed it in the mean-time.

The Level 1 criteria also limits the scope of this to those accounts unlikely to be played again. (It takes what, 5 minutes to make lvl 2, if that?)

Why is this important? Some people had entire character backgrounds written up around their character's name(s) and were very attached to it. When the merges happened, some of them were forced to rename their character(s) because the name(s) were already taken by name-saver characters. As of this time, some of those characters are still lvl 1 and on the starting planet so they clearly have not been played in the last few months.

I'm one of those players and am willing to start a brand new character to regain the name but it's not possible currently. I'm sure some people will be upset over this but hopefully it's reasonable enough to get an honest look.

Dirtyshadow
11.30.2012 , 07:10 AM | #2
The mechanism is already in place for guild names, I would like to see the same for toons.

* L1 to 9 toons only (If they cant get to advanced class stage, they aint committed imo)
* Does not efftect "subscriber" toons (ie if they currently playing, its their issue)
__________________________________________________ ______________
Makes a multi-million dollar game and forgets to advertise it in the Australia, the countries they actually built a server for ??? Start marketing the game, viral ads, full page newspaper ads, media circus. Thats population control... new customers.

Dash_Socur
11.30.2012 , 03:03 PM | #3
I agree with those suggestions other than bumping the level up to 9.

I specifically limited it to level 1 as it would be very obvious there is no investment in a level 1 character that hasn't been played in several months. It is true that it is relatively easy to reach level 10 in only a few sessions. The problem is, the higher the level you go, the more attachment there is and, as a result, more controversy. The last thing this game needs is bad PR.

mayo
02.09.2013 , 07:07 PM | #4
I SUPPORT THIS!
I had our guild name registered as soon as it was available on the site. I pre ordered the Collectors Edition. I was up at 3:00 am when the server went live for early play, to start characters, so I could have my names.
NOW... I am "FORCED" onto a different server where someone already has our guild name, and all but 1 of my original character names, without even as much as a "sorry" from Bioware. There are 2 names that I have always used on my characters in all games I play, I have added them as friends to check them out and both are below level 10 and seem inactive. I would even pay Cartel Coins if it meant I could get my names back.
The way we were treated during the server merger, I feel that Bioware in no way appreciates our dedication and loyalty, and feel mistreated for someone who has had a paid subscription and been active since I started beta testing almost a year before the game launched.
So… YES! PLEASE!!! Let us reclaim our names if they are being used by inactive characters!

craic_fox
02.09.2013 , 07:49 PM | #5
Excellent idea.

BrianDavion
02.09.2013 , 07:53 PM | #6
supported