Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ideas for potential future classes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Ideas for potential future classes

Kitru
12.17.2012 , 09:27 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Vgbeee View Post
A) A playstyle that hasn't been touched on yet. A pet class, a class that uses structures, a stance dancer, something of that nature.
It's not necessary for a class to so vehemently operate outside of the existing playstyles in order to be a different enough playstyle to be "different". Alternate resources or resource combinations are just as effective at creating alternate playstyles as gross mechanical choices such as those you elected to choose. Just look at the Death Knight from WoW: it's not really an appreciably different class from the standpoint of its abilities compared to other melee classes (specifically the Warrior and Paladin). The only thing that makes it appreciably different is its resource mechanic, which provides it with a drastically different playstyle than what the other classes manage.

In fact, a tweaked resource is more important to creating an appreciably different playstyle than the options you chose to outline: unless you force micromanagement of a pet, there isn't much difference between a pet class and any other class (you're just outsourcing some portion of the DPS to something not under the direct control of the player); structure based classes (I'm thinking you're implying something like the Engineer in TF2) either have the same problems as pet classes or they aren't appreciably different than DoT based classes (the structures either shoot something for a set period of time or they act just like a pet does in the previous example); stance dancing classes are strange insofar as you have to create some arbitrary mechanism to force stance dancing, which tends to not be particularly popular and requires a bit of finagling to make effective (keep in mind that troopers, shadows, and knights all have stances and can "dance" them, but none of them find the strategy to be effective) if you operate within the traditional bounds of what is considered a "stance".

I find it much more likely that the developers would simply find a more complex resource mechanism or pairing of interacting resources (much like how Death Knights have runes and runic power or Demon Hunters from Diablo 3 have Discipline and Hatred) rather than arbitrary choosing a mechanic that only really presents the appearance of a different playstyle without really accomplishing it. Keep in mind that it's not necessarily going to preclude the inclusion of one of those mechanics: you could easily include a pet/engineer class that uses 2 separate resources as I've described that uses 1 resource for "traditional" attacks and a second resource that is used for combined pet/owner attacks, with some degree of interaction between the two (such as the "primary" resource regenerating on a static basis and your "pet command" resource generating whenever you use a non-pet attack). The primary factor in the difference of playstyle is that there are 2 resources involved; the pet simply exists to provide a medium for said resource pairing to be invoked (it could just as easily be any other combination of effects that accomplishes the same overall effect).

Quote:
B) A Story that is fresh and new. The most obvious way to do this would to have this class be only for non-human aliens. Playing from the perspective of a wookie/transdoshan/rodian would be interesting.
The developers have already stated that they don't plan on making wookiees or trandoshans playable races, though I doubt that it's set in stone (or even whether that same rule would apply to "racial classes" if they're ever implemented rather than races for the existing classes), and I tend to believe that they're not likely to create racial classes before they create additional "normal" classes, if only because the racial options are a reasonably popular mechanism for character creation.

Personally, I would love to see the addition of a Wookiee class and Trandoshan class (each side gets 1), but I just don't think it's likely to occur before they explore other options, especially considering your reasoning (new story). Any decent writer should be able to write a story for any of those archetypes without too much difficulty. The arbitrary claim that the "easy" solution is to choose a racial class seems a bit overreaching since it wouldn't be too hard for a writer to come up with a story for a class, regardless of what choice is made concerning it.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Vailic
12.20.2012 , 08:21 AM | #42
Just a thought to your already long debate… how about a Marin/Pirate class that can hold a blade like a techblade or a vibroblade in one hand and a blaster in another… and a advanced class that can make use of the electrostaff that is not stealth. Also usually they put two classes on one planet so why not either develop this class with another set or start them off on a ship… like let’s say you are a pirate that is invading a republic ship… or a civilian ship to plunder there riches or whatever.

Vailic
12.20.2012 , 08:26 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by mycommando View Post
You might be able to acheive this by one advanced class carrying a pistol in offhand and a vibrosword in other. Other advanced class would have a scattergun and a genorator. this could also be known as a pirate or noble.
XD sorry just noticed your post

Surinen
12.20.2012 , 09:57 PM | #44
Sith Warrior:
1. executing enemies of the Emperor; most likely expiring council members
2. becoming second in the history Emperor's apprentice
3. terrorizing children
Aperture Science. We do what we must, because we can. For the good of all of us- Except the ones who are dead.

Rhinzual
12.20.2012 , 11:13 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Surinen View Post
Sith Warrior:
1. executing enemies of the Emperor; most likely expiring council members
2. becoming second in the history Emperor's apprentice
3. terrorizing children
Don't forget the Dromund Kaas Death Toll.

Anewa
12.21.2012 , 07:47 AM | #46
In all honesty I would like to see specifically a medic class like SWG had, the class made specifically for a healer, and if not wanting a healer a different tree could be dps with DoT for the other I am not exactly sure. Either way it was one of the well enjoyed and heavily played classes when I played SWG and I would indeed welcome something similar. Which I am also sure it would not effect timeline in any case for in all timelines i believe there had to be medics out there.

Rhinzual
12.21.2012 , 08:20 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Anewa View Post
In all honesty I would like to see specifically a medic class like SWG had, the class made specifically for a healer, and if not wanting a healer a different tree could be dps with DoT for the other I am not exactly sure. Either way it was one of the well enjoyed and heavily played classes when I played SWG and I would indeed welcome something similar. Which I am also sure it would not effect timeline in any case for in all timelines i believe there had to be medics out there.
That would be so boring. Besides, we already have three ACs per faction that can heal if they spec for it, now you want to make a pure healer class? That new class would be a walking bullseye in all WZs and would practically require nothing but dps and tank companions. All the class quests for it would have to be written and coded with them being a pure healer in mind, nevermind the planet quests expect some decent dps output from the healer classes already.

Anewa
12.21.2012 , 08:36 AM | #48
To you it might be boring but as for them being targets I did also mention them having the two other tree's to work with. I am typically speaking from SWG experience where i leveled as a healer just fine because they gave you basic attacks and some special ones to keep you going as well as for survival. As for needing a tank most classes get a tank companion or a healing companion to help them. Yes inquisitors bounty hunters and agents can heal including their mirrored classes on republic side. It is what made the medic so different in the star wars game, depending on certain classes for their roles in a whole to do what they were made for. It was a spectacular class at best as well as having it's own individuality.

Svevin
12.21.2012 , 05:53 PM | #49
What I'd like to see is a melee healer. Doing damage would open up AoE heals. Some kind of beacon of hope for the Republic, but an inspiration of vengeful zeal on the Sith side. Unfortunately, it sounds like another force wielding class, some kind of Battle Meditation class. It may even work better as a fourth tree for one of the existing classes.

ShupFace
12.21.2012 , 07:25 PM | #50
I like the idea of the Pirate/Noble class. Seems like it could actually fit with the Leia archetype at least for Republic. Though you could argue the smuggler/operative class is close enough, at least in playstyle...

Personally, I would love to see a playable droid class. ACs would be protocol droid and assassin droid...

I know some classes have anti-droid powers, but if you really need to you could just give the droid classes an inherent passive skill that brings them in line with other classes...