Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ideas for potential future classes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Ideas for potential future classes

Floofykins
12.11.2012 , 07:46 PM | #31
doesn't mean there cant be a similar group to them that would in time become the basis of what they are in the future

Kitru
12.11.2012 , 09:12 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Floofykins View Post
doesn't mean there cant be a similar group to them that would in time become the basis of what they are in the future
They were founded by a banished Jedi, so it's doubtful that any previous organization that bears any resemblance to the "modern" group could be used.

If you want some kind of naturalist, non-Jedi/Sith force class, it would be better to just try and go for the abstract Force Adept that exists outside of an explicit organization or is part of a unique, new planetary organization (such as the Mystics of the Voss are unique to TOR and follow a path exclusive of either galactic Force order). The problem, of course, is how would you meld this class in with the existing infrastructures and politics of the Sith and the Jedi, since both organizations generally feel compelled to dominate and subsume any Force users that are willing to ally with their relevant faction. You could create a reasonable story based around preserving your own ways in the face of the oppression of the Jedi/Sith or joining the them as a noble savage shaman with a unique outside perspective and unique abilities, but it would probably lose a lot of its flavor in following the Republic/Imperial story lines that already exist.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Floofykins
12.11.2012 , 10:34 PM | #33
oh well, how bout some sort of archeologists type class/story, this char could be pulled in by ether faction as an expert on retrieving force relics from tombs/temples ect, may not have any force ability but perhaps a special resistance to the force instead, part of what allows him to get past force traps in the tombs/temples, possibly use a cross of melee and ranged, tech blade in one hand gun in the other,

Kitru
12.11.2012 , 11:42 PM | #34
oh well, how bout some sort of archeologists type class/story, this char could be pulled in by ether faction as an expert on retrieving force relics from tombs/temples ect, may not have any force ability but perhaps a special resistance to the force instead, part of what allows him to get past force traps in the tombs/temples,
The problem with the treasure hunter type character is that it isn't really a vastly different archetype than the smuggler or agent; it's simply an alternate story for those existing classes.

When looking for new classes that could potentially be added, the most important thing to look for is specific combinations of specific archetypes with specific combat styles. If the mechanical function of a new class isn't appreciably different than an existing class (such as many of the Noble class ideas I hear about) or represents a minor tweak to an existing archetype to justify a new story (same case with the Noble, but also present in your treasure hunter), it's most likely not going to become a new class because it's already too similar to something that's around already. It's much the same reason why you're not likely to see a Republic SIS agent, Republic Bounty Hunter, Imperial Smuggler, or Imperial Trooper: they're the same class with the only difference existing in a new story and potential minor thematic tweaks, which won't draw enough players to really justify the effort of writing the new story (that much effort means you'll want to cast a wide net to maximize the audience and justify the development expense).

The only major non-racial archetypes for the SW universe that aren't really accessible in game now are the unarmed combatant and the primitive Force user (I count Droid as a racial archetype, along with the various ideas for Wookiee/Trandoshan Warriors). Most other major class concepts discussed can be explained as interpretations of the existing classes.

Quote:
possibly use a cross of melee and ranged, tech blade in one hand gun in the other,
Something a lot of people don't realize is that what weapon you're using doesn't really affect what kind of attacks you end up using. You could have a melee weapon and end up using all ranged attacks because the relevant attributes that make it a ranged attack rather than a melee attack are baked into the attack itself, not the weapon. Weapon loadout simply requires that it make sense for the relevant class, which is why VGs use a Blaster Rifle rather than a Techblade even though they're really a melee class and why Smugglers use a Shotgun while Agents use a Vibroknife for the exact same purpose.

You don't *have* to have a character with both a melee weapon and a ranged weapon in order to achieve some degree of hybrid melee/ranged nature. All it does is impact the thematic and aesthetic considerations. The difference between MH and OH is largely predicated upon what your basic attack is performed with so a class with a blaster pistol and a vibroblade in the offhand would have a ranged basic whereas a class with a vibroblade in their main hand and a blaster pistol in the offhand would have a melee basic attack.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

mycommando
12.13.2012 , 04:04 PM | #35
oh well, how bout some sort of archeologists type class/story, this char could be pulled in by ether faction as an expert on retrieving force relics from tombs/temples ect, may not have any force ability but perhaps a special resistance to the force instead, part of what allows him to get past force traps in the tombs/temples, possibly use a cross of melee and ranged, tech blade in one hand gun in the other,
You might be able to acheive this by one advanced class carrying a pistol in offhand and a vibrosword in other. Other advanced class would have a scattergun and a genorator. this could also be known as a pirate or noble.
If peace is an option I'll take it ......
But a big gun never hurts
You shouldn't just run in and blow stuff up.
Thats my job.

Sanctioned
12.14.2012 , 04:15 PM | #36
Since the first star wars MMO, there has been nothing more I wanted in a Star Wars RPG game than to be part of the Emperor's Guard / Crimson Guard, or for the clone wars-era: Senate Guard. Transcribe them into SWTOR-era and I would be in mmorpg heaven.

In SWTOR it would be a force-pike wielding, force-sensitive melee warrior, and hopefully a bad *** story about rising up in the prestigious-but-sometimes-treacherous ranks of the Guard.
(Black Vulkars) Bastion: Dregs - 50 Operative , Dresni - 50 Assassin Fapmonster - 50 Vanguard
Shadowfire: Dregs - Spy | Ryuten - MPowers/MLS
Flurry: Ryushi - Rifleman/Creature Handler

Kashard
12.15.2012 , 02:24 PM | #37
A Jawa mechanic, summons droids to fight for him, could be a nutrual starter where at the end of the start planet he smuggles himself onto ether an imp or rep ship (players choice) to escape his home planet in search of adventure
I like this idea, its kinda like a DAoC Bone Dancer and as everyone wants to be a Jawa its just a cool idea

If course your looking in to alot of balance issues, and what sort of droids you'd have access to, for instance, would it follow the DAoC set that you have X points to spend on X max droids, so you choose what droids fits your style best. Or would the spec line decide what type of Droids you must use (Tank/Healer/DPS (melee or ranged).

It would play very differently than any exsisting class making it an instant intrest for many.

As with all new classes to all games though, your looking at an issue of major balance problems, no matter how much you test, its never perfect.

Oh and Id say that Jawa should be added as a playable race anyway, and the class would be seperate, allowing it to be accessable by other races anyway which would add intrest to rolling alts for those of us who just want a Jawa
Hidden Beks (EU)
Republic:: Krissy - Sage / Wormhead - Smuggler / Pounder - Trooper / Samnite - Guardian
Imperial:: Dixomi - Mercenary

simmondg
12.17.2012 , 08:52 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Kashard View Post
I like this idea, its kinda like a DAoC Bone Dancer and as everyone wants to be a Jawa its just a cool idea

If course your looking in to alot of balance issues, and what sort of droids you'd have access to, for instance, would it follow the DAoC set that you have X points to spend on X max droids, so you choose what droids fits your style best. Or would the spec line decide what type of Droids you must use (Tank/Healer/DPS (melee or ranged).

It would play very differently than any exsisting class making it an instant intrest for many.

As with all new classes to all games though, your looking at an issue of major balance problems, no matter how much you test, its never perfect.

Oh and Id say that Jawa should be added as a playable race anyway, and the class would be seperate, allowing it to be accessable by other races anyway which would add intrest to rolling alts for those of us who just want a Jawa
I could see the jawa turning out to be the swtor version of goblins

MarshalNeyo
12.17.2012 , 11:10 AM | #39
I want to see a class similar to Tanno Vik, mainhand is a vibrosword, offhand a shield generator. I believe I heard the idea of this somewhere and the person said that the class could be like a Republic Honor Guard, and the Imp mirror would be Imperial Royal Guard or something similar to it. I rather liked the idea
Taco AKA The Living Taco Legend
LTL of The Bakery Clan
"Taco's for All, Death for Everyone Else."

Vgbeee
12.17.2012 , 08:27 PM | #40
Your ideas are all terribly boring. Adding another variant of Jedi or some kind of different flavored trooper would be stupid. The only way this would be worth it is if they added something that has no been seen in the game yet.

The two things this new class would have to have are:
A) A playstyle that hasn't been touched on yet. A pet class, a class that uses structures, a stance dancer, something of that nature.

B) A Story that is fresh and new. The most obvious way to do this would to have this class be only for non-human aliens. Playing from the perspective of a wookie/transdoshan/rodian would be interesting.