Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Books, novels, etc. Where to start

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Books, novels, etc. Where to start

seekerofpower
11.27.2012 , 01:00 PM | #11
Anything by Timothy Zahn.
"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope. Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds."

Rikaelus
11.27.2012 , 02:41 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by EpicBloood View Post
Thanks, I will definitely start with thrawn.
And thanks for all the info, very helpful & informative
I'd still encourage you to start with the X-Wing series. That series will introduce you to the state of the galaxy and some of the pivotal characters you'll encounter in the Thrawn trilogy. You could jump right into Thrawn and it'd make sense and all, but I think knowing some of the characters helps perfect the experience.

Since I, Jedi was mentioned I'd just point out that that's my favorite novel of them all, granted I liked Corran Horn from the get-go. I would encourage you to read the Jedi Academy trilogy prior to that, though. I read the trilogy afterward and it was just weird and a little off-putting.

TheLittleTpot
11.27.2012 , 04:42 PM | #13
I, too, am a little interested in attempting to wade into the ocean that appears to be Star Wars literature. After years of watching movies, playing games, reading books and even the odd comic here and there, I find myself downright sated where the subject of compelling, male protagonists are concerned, and Star Wars seems a tad bit male-centric. Are there any good books at all that deal, primarily, with a female protagonist? Something touching on The Exile's story post or prior to the events of Kotor 2, perhaps?
I am NOT suffering from insanity. I'm enjoying every moment of it.

fabiyun
11.27.2012 , 07:16 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by TheLittleTpot View Post
I, too, am a little interested in attempting to wade into the ocean that appears to be Star Wars literature. After years of watching movies, playing games, reading books and even the odd comic here and there, I find myself downright sated where the subject of compelling, male protagonists are concerned, and Star Wars seems a tad bit male-centric. Are there any good books at all that deal, primarily, with a female protagonist? Something touching on The Exile's story post or prior to the events of Kotor 2, perhaps?
Knight Errant has a female protagonist. It's set in the Old Republic Era. Also from the Legacy of the Force series there's a couple of novels that have lots of story for Jaina Solo going to see Boba Fett, and of course there's Tenel Ka and the matriarchy of the Hapes Sector. As well as Leia and her adventures. There's also some Mara Jade Skywalker books in the Empire Era. And there's Natasi Dala, at some point leader of the Republic, and wasn't she of the Empire before? There's strong women in SW. You might be interested in books written by a woman, they should offer more female perspectives. Try Karin Traviss. I quite liked her work. Christie Golden also wrote for the last series. And she's set to write a trilogy on Jaina Solo, to be released in 2014 (if Disney won't cancel it).
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"

VigDiath
11.27.2012 , 07:27 PM | #15
The Darth Bane series is an awesome read. I would start there. I would skip more of the books set during the prequel era with the exception of Shatterpoint. As far as I know, this is the only book where the main character is Mace Windu. An awesome read! Next, I would skip the Junior Jedi or whateverthefugg they're called and possibly read the Legacy of the Force Books, X-Wing Books, Thrawn Books and Vong books. Karen Traviss writes a lot of the books about the Mandalorians and Republic commandos. IMO all good books.

I do have to say that IMO most if not all the Star Wars books except the Darth Bane books and Shatterpoint are campy books. I read them because they are Star Wars books but there are some good ones.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

Przemo_No
11.28.2012 , 04:47 AM | #16
I have seen all the movies, when they were originally released. I was a kid by then.
Then there was huuuge gap and games arrived.
I somehow stick only to movies and games because they at least (in some way) are coherent.
The books (as I have been told and we can read above ) are mostly bad and incompatible, no one care what happens when. I do not like it and decided to skip that part.
Basically anything that is "authorized by GL" I consider as valid.

KOTORs, Jedi Academy series, TOR now, even the Clone Wars can be considered , rest.. not really.
But that's me.

If you are looking for good SF books, go for Dune - first 6 books), or Foundation.
Star Wars are unfortunately mistreated in the area or literature.
Dark side is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be unnatural.

GAG_Caedus
11.28.2012 , 08:16 AM | #17
Old Republic era.
  • The Old Republic: Revan. You must read it if you like KOTOR.
  • Darth Bane Trilogy.
New Republic era.
  • Thrawn Trilogy.
  • The Hand of Thrawn Duology.
    Both series are very well written.
New Jedi Order era.
  • Yuuzhan Vong War.
  • Dark Nest Trilogy.
    You can find these 2 series of novels boring, but some books wiil be really neccessary if you decide to read LOTF.
  • Legacy of the Force.
    Enjoyed reading it a lot.

EpicBloood
11.28.2012 , 01:30 PM | #18
I decided to read in the order of the official eu timeline thing.
Thanks for all suggestions

Stradlin
11.30.2012 , 02:56 AM | #19
I actually and completely caught myself by surprise by really enjoying The Old Republic: Deceived written by Paul Kemp. It is excellent fan service for SWTOR fanboy. Provides good heap of additional depth to Malgus. Takes place during sacking of Coruscant. It is quite well written and none of the main characters are horrible - this is pretty much highest form of praise one can give to any EU book yeah?;p

I remember trying to read (.. or listen rather, I do exclusively audiobooks when it comes to stuff like this) three other TOR books, 2 of them being by Drew Karpyshyn. Revan, Annihilation and some third one. These I thought were all thoroughly terribad and should be avoided at all costs if at all possible. At least Annihilation was pure SW:TOR fan service though, so it might give some thrills in our context I dunno.

I can't even get through the much loved Thrawn trilogy by Zahn so I recon I'm overly picky with this stuff. Speaking of which, I'm under impression there is some sort of consensus according to which Thrawn Trilogy is easily the best Star Wars literature one can hope to find so that prolly is a very good place to start as well.

..But yeah, since we all are SWTOR people here and all, it is quite easy to recommend The Old Republic: Deceived.

DrewFromPhilly
11.30.2012 , 02:24 PM | #20
I've only just started getting into the EU myself. I found "Tales from Jabba's Palace" and "Tales of the Bounty Hunters" in a secondhand bookstore and I really enjoyed both of them. They're both a series of short storiess, but they're all well-written and kinda piqued my interest with the rest of the novels. I bought books one and two of the "Bounty Hunter Wars" on my iPad and I'm enjoying them a lot - Boba Fett stands out for me as one of the most intriguing characters in the movies so I wanted to start out with more of his story.