Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Make better use of Light side/Dark side

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Make better use of Light side/Dark side

Jaebe
11.25.2012 , 03:31 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Veovis View Post
I think it would be nice if the light / dark alignment had a similar role as in the KotOR games, albeit toned down.

Light / dark alignement should perhaps affect your weapons / skills; the closer you are to light, the more effective your non-lethal skills (healing, CC, shield) are, the closer you are to dark, the more effective your damage skills are.

It couldn't be as big an impact as it had in KotOR, as that could introduce balance issues, but a minor tweak of say 0.5% increase in effectiveness per level, with an equivalent decrease in effectiveness in the non-favoured skills.

It would perhaps make people more mindful of their alignment in terms of the role they wanted to play on their AC.
I think this would work if you made it something like force sensitivity for light and price of power for dark. By that I mean that these would give you lower ability costs (light) and higher damage/heals (dark) but you would also mean you take more damage from force attacks (light) and have less HP (dark). This would prevent DPS/Heals from going too far down the line if they want to raid and give those who stay neutral a small defensive edge for their troubles.

Kendaric
11.25.2012 , 08:56 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Altyrell View Post
Except Force Lightning is exclusive to the Sith Inquisitor Class
And consulars are the inquisitor's mirror class, so where's the problem? The abilities are direct mirrors of eachother, so exchanging them when a character of the appropriate class hits a certain dark/light status would make sense as the character's connection/attunement changes.
(█⌉▀|▀|▀|▀[o]█]|▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Pepperawr
11.25.2012 , 09:30 AM | #23
They have been talking about minimally supporting grey alignment players for a long time. James Ohlen was quoted as saying that grey alignment was close to his heart and was trying to figure out as way to implement it. Not sure if they've given up in the mean time. And yeah BH and smuggler are two stories where grey make a whole lot of sense.

Perhaps they can simply make alignment powers based on how many alignment choices one has made, and there are certain thresholds as to where the ability appears dark, grey or light side? This would make sense for force classes at least... don't know about tech classes. There isn't exactly such thing as a dark side or light side grenade.

The legacy powers may be the only thing we get out of this facet.
CE fancypants.

monkgryphon
11.25.2012 , 11:31 AM | #24
I like how they were able to give us some powers through legacy and keep them from becoming required for certain builds. They made it so these abilities can only be active with heroic moment, and/or can only be used while a companion is present.

Adding more abilities isn't a bad thing as long as they keep with the limit of companion required.

FeelFlow
11.25.2012 , 12:09 PM | #25
It's a shame as light + dark meant much more in KOTOR.

Even if it's differently coloured 'dark' or 'light' looking end-game gear, that would be good.

Also - let's see some 'grey' side gear!

monkgryphon
11.25.2012 , 12:27 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by LegendaryBlade View Post
I don't think it's chaotic. Just because my Smuggler doesn't mind a little illegal trading doesn't mean he supports drug use. Just because he wont take bribes easy doesn't mean he wont find it more practical to launch at rocket at the enemy fleet instead of the moon.

Maybe it's a bit more chaotic for the force sensitive characters, I haven't played one yet. But there were Grey Jedi in KOTOR even.
Half the decisions in the game are, dark side - kill the guy, light side - let him live. Killing some and letting others live is chaotic, and not really neutral.

Elyxin
11.25.2012 , 02:28 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by LegendaryBlade View Post
I was only making the point that they exist, like I said in that same post I don't know anything about whether the jedi appear chaotic or not. I haven't played them.

But Neutral fits a Smuggler very well, often times you may just be picking the more sensible solution. Turning in a senator who admits to rigging the vote doesn't make it more surprising when my smuggler encourages people on Taris to keep fighting the Rakghouls because they are demonstrably not capable of negotiation.
I agree with this. My biggest gripe with the alignment system is the approach to achieving it. Far too many quets have light/dark responses that leave me scratching my head. Like the quest on coruscant to datamine the droid to expose a corrupt politician. It's light to not do it...and let a corrupt politician continue to be disingenuous and decieve people, but it's dark to get the information to expose him and at possibly save lives....

That's one of the only reasons i don't like light and dark stuff in this game. many of the choices seem odd, so i end up going as neutral as I can sometimes.

But on the Topic....part of the reason that Bio stopped using the light/dark separation was because of all the people that were frustrated that they couldn't use half the gear in the game. They actually STOPPED advancing the light/dark gear separation due to players...I find it funny how people are wishing it back now. Guess you can never satisfy the player base...

...Personally, the idea sounds great till you have to experience it. what gear are they going to limit? are you going to be locked out of that ilvl 61 item that just dropped in 'X' Ops after a month of farming because it's dark and your light V? What if you go to the GMT and want to get a relic to equip on your character, and the only ones on the GMT are light, and your a dark I? anyone remember when saber crystals were limited by class? light players couldn't use red crystals, etc. huge outcry on that one.

The reality of the idea is that it's irritating, limiting, and for the most part ill bet that a good number of the people here that are for it would start griping the first time they were locked out of a piece the actually needed because they had the wrong alignment type. I love the idea as an RP element, but it's a horrible idea from a game balance perspective.

...unless you eliminate the roadblocks to getting the gear you need with the appropriate alignment...which would defeat the purpose for having alignment gated gear in the first place hehe....

....the only option is to make alignment a purely cosmetic idea from the get go. another possibility that would be fun is giving us better advantages with fraction alignments. start adding some fractions in the game, and make then alignment focused. so a good aligned group (like the jedi council) would respond faster to a good aligned player (good player gets rep with the fraction faster), but the same player wouldn't gain rep as fast with the "cartel", or the Justicars (I could see cartels being a neutral fraction, while the Justicars would be a "dark" republic side fraction). but this would entail allot of work setting up actual fractions, with fraction rewards and more, including a "fraction rep grind"....but I think it would be fun, and worth it if they decided to go in that direction.

Of course, I think that Fraction based content would do this game a ton of justice. have a dark Jedi? unlock justicar rep, and suddenly you have a group of new daily quests across multiple planets involving "purging" evil out of various elements. jedi Council rep unlocks quests to obtain rare artifacts, or just a few odd "fight the sith" situations. Cartels are pretty obvious....and they would probably also have some nice bounties out there for those inclined (bounty = daily quest kinda thing. random NPC go kill get reward)

Some other ideas are like the more involved character changes, as mention in an above thread, as well as possible gear looks too (light characters have their gear get less dark, etc.)

Athena-Nike
11.25.2012 , 02:53 PM | #28
All I really wanna see is at Light V, Insuis and Warriors go from Seethe/channel hatred to Introspection/Meditate and vice versa

Larce_Apollo
11.25.2012 , 02:56 PM | #29
Some comestic gear that is actually ICONIC to both sides that can be modded out at level 5 would be nice.

Instead of that heroics/raid gear that looks like a crack head drew it up and called it star wars.

LarcÚ Apollo - Trooper-Commando/Combat Medic Ω
SWG/Bria Vet - CE Pre-Order - Full Beta Tester
The Army of Light | The Ebon Hawk Server

Scovina
11.25.2012 , 03:11 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by monkgryphon View Post
Half the decisions in the game are, dark side - kill the guy, light side - let him live. Killing some and letting others live is chaotic, and not really neutral.
Then by your admission only half the decisions are chaotic which seems to suggest a sense of balance after all.