Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please fix commando/merc survivability/utility before 1.6 (suggestions)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Please fix commando/merc survivability/utility before 1.6 (suggestions)

Wraiven
11.24.2012 , 04:38 AM | #11
We used to have a handy knock back ability that we could spec in to that came with Stock Strike or Rocket Punch. When I had those abilities, I felt like I had all the survivability I would ever need. Now...not anymore. Losing that one knock back has really tipped the scales and makes me a walking meat bag. Hey, w/e though, at least Marauders and Sentinels got a buff, right?

Nerf the most lacking class, give the best class a buff...that just made sooo much sense. Fricken Bioware...
Republic: Krulex (Shadow) Kn (Guardian) Krll (Sentinel) Wanatrime (Vanguard)
Imperial: Wraiven (Assassin) Krullous (Marauder) Krawl (Jugg) Xin (Jugg)
♠♠♠ The Soulstalker Legacy ♠♠♠
-FIGHT-

Essence_of_Light
11.24.2012 , 06:45 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Wraiven View Post

Nerf the most lacking class, give the best class a buff...that just made sooo much sense. Fricken Bioware...
Exactly, i have no idea what the crap they are thinking over there.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

TheronFett
11.25.2012 , 03:35 AM | #13
1. Retreat- You would jump/jetpack backwards 15-20 meters away from threats
You're on the right track with this one, but the player needs the ability to control the landing. 15-20m backwards could land you in a pit of fire or somewhere else you don't want to be.

2. Reactive Shield (updated)- Reactive Shield now makes it so when its on you can't be rooted,stunned,interrupted, leaped too/pulled and movement speed increases 5-8% when on
Same thing. You're on to something here, but not as-is. The CD on Reactive Shield is far too long to make any of this worthwhile.

As for the rest of your suggestions, some are just plain silly, while others are overpowered.

Essence_of_Light
11.25.2012 , 10:02 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by TheronFett View Post
You're on the right track with this one, but the player needs the ability to control the landing. 15-20m backwards could land you in a pit of fire or somewhere else you don't want to be.

2. Reactive Shield (updated)- Reactive Shield now makes it so when its on you can't be rooted,stunned,interrupted, leaped too/pulled and movement speed increases 5-8% when on
Same thing. You're on to something here, but not as-is. The CD on Reactive Shield is far too long to make any of this worthwhile.

As for the rest of your suggestions, some are just plain silly, while others are overpowered.
I agree with you on both the things you mention on the 2 abilities and as with the rest, I'm sorry you think my ideas are silly/op but you have to remember that I'm just trying to give Bioware ideas and not tell them to "do this or else". Anyway thanks for your comment/suggestion.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

Uber_the_Goober
11.25.2012 , 01:03 PM | #15
Pretty good ideas I think. Dunno why but it seems like any buff they do will just swing the pendulum the other way and then commandos will be the new OP class of the month that everyone rolls to. May as well let you guys have it for a turn, derpsmashtards are getting OLD.

Deewe
11.25.2012 , 01:17 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by althene View Post
I do believe I saw a commando/merc mega thread in this section not to long ago. It's definitely something they're looking at. It's a well established fact that these 2 classes have some of the worst defensive/utility skills in the game right now.
Well we had the class feedback,
And the 1.4 Commandos.....Thoughts? threads.

There were really good suggestions in both of them and we ended with more nerfs. The only good change was the new interrupt .
In the end I don't even log my Gunnery Trooper at all because one has to be masochist to play such a lackluster class.

It feels like the devs who looked at the topics don't care or are totally lost.

Speaking of PVP mostly everyone agrees on there was too much stun/roots in TOR and yet the devs added more in 1.5.

At this point I'd suggest anyone not asking for anything at all because you might certainly being left in a worse status after the devs are done with your class.

I dare anyone (devs and player alike) bringing the proof the Trooper and especially the Gunnery Trooper has improved in 1.5 both in PvE and PVP. Be my guest, it's going to be much fun....

Sliverspark
11.25.2012 , 01:30 PM | #17
I have A LOT of issues playing a Mercenary. Some things I have seen:

If you are having trouble with Sentinel leaps, Jet Boost them, then Rocket Punch them so they get rooted as soon as they leap back in. Or, Jet Boost them, then run towards them until they are too close to leap again, this way you save your Rocket Punch for a root after they leap.

The cast times for Mercenary are RIDICULOUS. I do play Arsenal; and I have played Pyro quite a bit as well, but still the same thing. I find myself casting so much if I can't stand still, I can't cast, and I can't do DPS. Since we are getting smoked anyway, a REALLY simple fix would be to allow us to move while casting. And just so someone at Bioware reads this.

Last time I checked Jango didn't stand still, he was actually hard to catch. You say you have tried to make this game like we can do everything we saw in the movies. SO MAKE MERCENARY A MOBILE BOUNTY HUNTER. We aren't Inquisitors, we don't use "magic" we shouldn't have to cast, we have two pistols man.

Thank you for your time.

DeludedAussie
11.25.2012 , 02:33 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by TheronFett View Post

1. Maybe have it like Guild Wars 2's Mesmer i believe it was, it had like a Teleport ability that you could use in any direction you just clicked and you teleported there. and since we can select where its going I would limit it to a max of 15 meters and maybe give a 25% increase to move speed for 5 seconds? . For Merc's its really easy to Animate thanks to the rockets and stuff we have on our gear, Much like how we fly into the air with Death from Above we could get a Rocket jump/flip to a selected area A bit like Warriors/Knights Leap. Commandos probably wouldn't look as good but i mean it could be what i picture as a Military 'Commando roll' where you roll to the selected area. Sorta like how you roll into cover as a Gunslinger or Sniper.

2. Since, Hypothetically, we now have the Rocket jump/roll Which should be on around a one minute cooldown. Reactive shield should have around the same cool down. just to ensure our escape. i mean, there is no point in the Jump/roll if a mara or juggernaut can simply jump to us again instantly. However you would remove the movement speed increase since you get it from the Jump OR You could make the Rocket Jump/roll Ability give you a buff that prevents CC/leaps/pulls for 5 seconds and then you can use Reactive shield to increase that another 3 seconds and give you 8% movement speed.

that's my thoughts on how those two could be achieved.

_dougnukem_
11.25.2012 , 02:42 PM | #19
Heck, give back the Stockstrike KB and increase Cryo Grenade's range and that would make a pretty nice difference for starters. Both of those are simple fixes, all things considered.

The only time I run my Commando these days is for Daily Comms and when some friends want to run lvl 50 stuff Republic-side, otherwise he collects dust.

TheronFett
11.25.2012 , 04:51 PM | #20
Here are my thoughts:

1) Retreat/Jet Pack: 2 min CD, possibly 1:30 if talented. This ability has an AoE knockdown/2 sec stun similar to how the Seismic Grenades work, and launches the Commando/Merc up to 30m away. There needs to be a mouse-controlled target landing zone so the player can select where to land. The Merc animation would use the jetpack of course, I also like the mentioned drop and roll for the Commando. Whatever the animation is fine with me, as long as there is an AoE effect to thwart multiple melee attackers.

2) Combat Stance: Another activated ability for the Gunnery/Arsenal tree. When activated, this ability roots the player in place and makes him immune to leaps, pulls, and knockbacks, similar to how Cover works. This ability should have a very short CD, or at least have the CD be reset by using other skills. And for God's sake, don't tie it to Tracer Missile/Grav Round like everything else.

3) Bring back the knockback on Stock Strike/Rocket Punch...and make it available for all specs, not just midway up the Gunnery/Arsenal tree. The recent change making it a root was pointless.

Changes along these lines would go a LONG way to addressing the survivabilty problems with this class. I honestly think the damage output is fine, but would like to see a baseline increase in the effectiveness of the 2 heals for DPS specs. If this is meant to be a support class with sustained damage + off heals, then those off heals need to actually be worth a damn.