Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

As a new subscriber, can I redeem the code of a boxed game version to get game time?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
As a new subscriber, can I redeem the code of a boxed game version to get game time?

11.21.2012 , 12:43 PM | #1
I didn't get any answers on this from the FAQ unfortunately.

I subscribed for the first time after F2P started and I've seen deals for the SWTOR boxed game. If I buy the boxed game, will it be possible to redeem that code as a subscriber and in turn get 30 days added? Or does the code only apply to new accounts?

Note: No codes have been redeemed for this account since its creation in 2010, this is an account I created for beta but I never bought the game after that. I did a trial a long time ago but I can't remember if a code was used but it wasn't from a friend invite.

I also want buy it to TRY to get a couple of friends to play the game. It's F2P but I'd have better success if I told them they'd have everything for the first 30 days..and they wouldn't have to download the game - which would probably take one of them an entire day. So if I refer them, they make an account and and then they redeem the codes, would I get the speeder and the 500 coins? Or do they have to subscribe or redeem a game time card?

11.21.2012 , 12:48 PM | #2
I have not done it myself so you may want to take it with a grain of salt, but I read from numerous people who first got the game "normal edition" then later redeemed the collector edition code (to benefit from the additional perks + cartel coins bonus), they got a second month free from the collector edition.

Your case is similar but not exactly the same as you want to redeem a normal edition code, but I don't see why it would not work.

As for the referral they must subscribe and pay for a month for you to receive the speeder so I don't think the box free month would suffice.

[EDIT] your friend, even with the disk, would need to download all the patches since the game released, so it would probably take them a while to download.

11.22.2012 , 09:56 AM | #3
IIRC if you haven't activated a subscription code at all on that account so far - you are fine and will get the 30 days gametime.

11.25.2012 , 11:20 AM | #4
No clue on game time, however be aware even if they buy and install the box game, they'll still need to essentially repatch probably the whole game so it might not save them time.