Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Mercenary Manifesto


dejavy's Avatar


dejavy
11.22.2012 , 11:40 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Larry_Dallas View Post
This is as far as I got before I stopped reading.

You've basically made arsenal spec unkillable by anything but a carnage marauder with these changes. You can strafecast indefinitely without any melee ever closing a gap and no ranged can disrupt you.
Seems you didn't play Merc/commando mate. Or if you did, you didn't play sniper/ssin. Or if you did, you just missunderstand how much sux the present merc/mando state in pvp is. Playing my GS i feel like "ffs i'm a badas* cheater!!!" Immunitiy to all 20sec, 2 pushbacks, aoe blind 8s, root, stun, accuracy debuff, aoe def screen, self dodge, def talents when in cover, speed burst after dirty kick (i take it when play a sharpshooter). The list is just awesome for a ranger. Commando hasn't even a half of it. So, there's nothing ridiculous in asking for SOMETHING that could change the WORST pvp class. Don't you think so?

cashogy's Avatar


cashogy
11.22.2012 , 11:45 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by LeonHawkeye View Post
Instant Tracer/Grav would be beast. The competent and experienced Mandos/Mercs will be monsters with this but the average one will put out mediocre to decent damage before they're quickly heat capped. It'd be nice but I'm not so sure it would fix our dysfunctional state in Ranked play, it still would offer no reason to bring us. At our best, we do decent DPS, not great or amazing, and this is if we're completely left alone. Making Tracer/Grav instant would emulate this, still leaving us in an awkward state for Ranked. Therefore as much as I would love instant Tracer/Grav, I don't believe it is the answer, we still would need more buffs and or tools to be competitive/effective and desired for ranked play.

Asking for the instant and more utility would probably bring a flood of whiners calling OP but to be honest that's what it takes to make this poorly designed class viable.
I think that giving Merc the tools to maintain its DPS output while under pressure, overall our current utility would be much better. Merc is very good at area denial, Arsenal has arguably the best knockback in the game, ability to off heal (ive saved my healer many, many times by buying them a few extra seconds), my proposed Missile Blast slow would give us a dependable slow, and stealth scan (which is a MASSIVELY underrated ability).

and ive already attracted, as you say, "a flood of whiners" from the things ive asked for lol.

Nassik's Avatar


Nassik
11.23.2012 , 01:06 AM | #103
Cash, your original post still mentions a reduction in TM damage towards the bottom of the post.

An instant Tracer would allow mercs to finally put out the DPS that we're capable of and would allow both players and Devs to see how the merc performs without the gimp of Tracer interruption. I can still only hope that Tracer wasn't intended to be constantly interrupted, therefore making it a DPS balance mechanic.

Our off-healing is pretty useful and I've used it often to bolster a busy healer. I even once was a group's sole healer in a Hard Mode Foundry. That was a royal pain but it worked out successfully.

Our knockback (Jet Boost) is quite handy in group situations and particularly useful in guarding nodes. The proposed changes to our knockback would make it even more useful and provide some of that utility that we so desperately need.


Unfortunately, no suggestion for class improvement can go unchallenged. Other classes fear how the change(s) would negatively impact their effectiveness and they're often the first to speak up. Other specs within the same class speak up because they don't want to be left behind. And players of the class and spec in question speak up because, usually, they want more.

Of course, there are those people who are genuinely concerned with class balance and there are people who prefer to scale back improvement for fear of upsetting other players.

In the end, you can't please everyone. You can only propose the best possible course that you can conceive of and hope that, if implemented, it makes things better.
July 21st 2011.. The Dark Day Bioware pissed on Australia with a little yellow paragraph.

I used to be part of the Community, now I'm just Australian

cashogy's Avatar


cashogy
11.23.2012 , 01:14 AM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by Nassik View Post
Cash, your original post still mentions a reduction in TM damage towards the bottom of the post.
Thanks! I forgot to remove that lol, just fixed it

JakeTetra's Avatar


JakeTetra
11.23.2012 , 01:30 AM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
Im stupid, and I should just re-roll.............



Pyro suffers from the exact same problem as Arsenal does: highly dependent on casted abilities. And I play Arsenal from time to time, and I put up the same numbers in either spec. Ive played all 3 merc specs extensively.

do all of our rotation except unload while moving? so we already have instant cast tracer missiles?

We can cleanse only Tech debuffs, so that limits us to only half of potential debuffs. LoSing to heal? the only way that happens is if whoever is chasing you gives up, and at that point you can just use regen and fully clear your heat at the same time.

i dont want ALL instant abilties. i want to be able to remain effective when i become under pressure, and instant cast tracer missile/power shot is the only real way to reliable do that without unintentionally un-balancing other aspects of the Merc trees.

and the reason that I suggested more changes to Arsenal is because it is in need of more help than Pyrotech is. All of these changes would have no negative effects on PvE
i was talking about pyro having instant abilities not arsenal, you can LOS in most maps very well except voidstar, most good players wont forget objectives to get you unless you are heals, making it instant would un-balance us, we are a caster we cast things having tracer, heat seeker, railshot, power shot as instants at 30m range is op,

Nassik's Avatar


Nassik
11.23.2012 , 01:37 AM | #106
Agreed, having all of that instant cast would be way over-powered. We could blow out starships with that capability.

All Cash wants as an instant cast are Tracer Missile and Power Shot. Everything else remains cast or channeled.
July 21st 2011.. The Dark Day Bioware pissed on Australia with a little yellow paragraph.

I used to be part of the Community, now I'm just Australian

SpaniardInfinity's Avatar


SpaniardInfinity
11.23.2012 , 01:59 AM | #107
This would be quite the early holiday present if anything of this actually saw the light of day.

I'm sure it's been said -- I more or less skimmed the first and last three pages -- but I think making Grav Round/Tracer Missile instant is one step too far. Don't get me wrong, something needs to be immune to interruption in some way (like Full Auto), but I think making it instant would be a bad choice. Still that's really my only qualm.

There is also an idea for a jet pack ability. I won't lie, as much as I would LOVE to see it implemented, but I have a serious doubt that it would be balanced. Can you imagine carrying the Huttball as a Commando and just targetting up onto any random platform, crossing walls in Voidstar/Alderaan. It would be pretty incredible for objective gameplay and on any other class, I'd have no doubt it would be OP. But on a class like Commando that really doesn't have any strength other than being the free kill of the opposing team, it may be just what the doctor ordered.

As to the healing side of things, I like the majority of the suggestions. Although:

- if you can put Trauma Probe/Kolto Shell on more than one target the ammo/heat cost should remain as is. With that said, the current cost is much too high for only being usable on a single target. One or the other should change, not both IMO.
- the 4-set bonus on both PvE and PvP gear both lower the current 21-second CD of Bacta Infusion/Emergency Scan to 18 seconds. Would you leave this unchanged with the suggestion to lower the cooldown down to 18s making for a 15s cooldown? I think that's fair, but just interested in your thoughts.
- I don't think swapping Weapon Calibrations with Hired Muscle/Field Training is productive, simply because of the current sorry state of alacrity for Combat Medics/Bodyguard.
- 100% agree with the changes to Supercharged Gas/Cells since I never understood why the ammo/heat component was changed in 1.2. I felt it was the most heavy-handed part of the nerfs -- the numbers did need to be tuned down, the changes to heat/ammo did not need more difficulty.
- As for cleanses...I think all healers could write their own manifesto on how counter-productive cleansing can be. But, to focus strictly on your bulletpoints: if you implement this, I'd assume the other healers would be able to cleanse all effects, too, correct? Or do you envision Combat Medic/Bodyguard as the universal cleanser? Also, since the cooldown is already longer than it takes for most debuffs to be reapplied, I think cleanses should be free (when sepc'd) for Sages/Sorcs, Scoundrel/Operative, Commando/Mercenary. Not going to lie, as it currently stands, you're better off healing through a debuff than cleansing it except in a select few situations.
Aux "Spaniard" Wargarde (Rank 2400+ Combat Medic) | Reighner the Relentless (Conqueror Bodyguard)
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

cashogy's Avatar


cashogy
11.23.2012 , 02:09 AM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by JakeTetra View Post
i was talking about pyro having instant abilities not arsenal, you can LOS in most maps very well except voidstar, most good players wont forget objectives to get you unless you are heals, making it instant would un-balance us, we are a caster we cast things having tracer, heat seeker, railshot, power shot as instants at 30m range is op,
the thing is that Merc still has a large number of casted abilities. Unload for one, which for Arsenal is the highest damaging ability. It also has the best rail shot reset proc chance for Pyrotech, again making it worth casting.

if someone wants to run around the map using nothing but Tracer Missile, Heatseeker Missiles, and Rail Shot, theyre going to have very limited success. yeah they will spit out damage like a son of a gun while they still have heat, but they wont have heat for very long.

and i just had a thought. if anyone here has played rift, and is familiar with the Marksman spec for Rogues, they will know what im talking about. In Rift, Marksman Rogues are similar to Mercs; long range DPS that requires stacking a debuff on the target to maximize effectiveness. the difference is that the Marksman Rogue had instant casts for the set-up abilities, and the heavy hitter, finisher-type attacks had cast times.

what if tracer missile/power shot were instant cast, but heatseeker missile/thermal detonator had 1.5s cast times? keep in mind its 3am and this may be the delusional thought of an overtired, overstuffed-on-turkey brain, but that actually sounds like it may have potential (in my head anways )

JakeTetra's Avatar


JakeTetra
11.23.2012 , 02:11 AM | #109
the only casts/channeled abilities are tracer/power shot only one of which is used by each spec, unload doesnt need to be instant the only other channel is fusion missile

and i still think rocket punch need the knock back, we need another slow/root on its own ability and power shots damage slightly buffed increase the chance for CGC snare to be applied and move the healing talent which makes energy shield make you immune to interrupt on to a merc base ability or lower in the tree

cashogy's Avatar


cashogy
11.23.2012 , 02:15 AM | #110
i think that all healers should be able to cleanse all debuff types. i dont really understand bioware's logic in the decision to allow healers to only cure half of the games debuff types.