Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Even though i don't care, calm the restrictions down.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Even though i don't care, calm the restrictions down.

ClavisN
11.20.2012 , 11:33 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by MightyVittey View Post
I am a subscriber, but its stupid. Watch this video, about 30 mins in. People who don't always spend their time on the game, still wanna enjoy it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFDES...eature=related
Welll... the main prpblem of these guys is that they don't want to spend ANY money. Which is not how it is supposed to work.

But what SHOULD work is that if you spend some amount of money you get going. And apparently that works for new accounts, but judging from this video it doesn't work particularily well for returning players.

ConradLionhart
11.20.2012 , 11:50 PM | #22
I resubbed, but only 2 action bars for F2P players is brutal.

sankalp
11.20.2012 , 11:56 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Temad View Post
The things from the UI, to the helmet to unify colors are quickly making Bioware the laughing stock of online gaming. There are so many common sense things Bioware could have stuck in the store and had it be a successful and profitable model without resorting to these...Pettty, yes Petty nickel and dime stunts.

Free to play folks understand that to get stuff they will have to pay and in many cases they will end up paying more than a subscriber so they can craft the experience to their liking. But bending people over for UI quickbars and helmet hiding...I am stunned. I thought it was a joke until I logged on and saw it in the store.

I am a subscriber...well for 28 more days.

No way I am sticking around to see what the devs have in store when they so badly handled the easiest thing in the world...a cash alternative revenue stream.

Gaming sites are starting to post their reviews of the "The SWTOR" and they are laughing at how badly they missed the mark.

I guess after the first 6 months I played I should not have been surprised they would butcher this so badly.
And you read those reviews and are influenced by them??

nothing they have not given free is necessary to play the game. You dont need color matching or helm off or whatever to play the game. 2 quickbars, though not great are sufficient. I do endgame raiding on all my chars and my 4th bar is just speeders and fluff. The 3rd bar is convince like stims etc. 2 bars are sufficient for playing the game and enjoying it, specially for people who are new and dont know the 4 bars.

I think this model is better than having to pay for each planet as you go farther in the storyline.

All you want, and this is entirely my opinion, is to be cheap and not pay for a sub after the next 28 days and expect the game to give you exactly what it is giving you for $15 a month

Rothie
11.20.2012 , 11:57 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Idunhavaname View Post
It is a business yes but treating a specific group of customers as trash is not a good thing. Would you eat a reasturant that servers meals for FREE BUT you'll have to pay for the tables, chairs, water, bathroom, forks, spoons, PLATE because you don't have a club card? Most likely no.

Treating free customers like second class citizen is nice and good but dont make it so obvious. One of the things that attracts customers is the good relations and that is something EA never bothered with which is very disturbing.

Again purpose of this F2P is to ATTRACT more customers. Not drive them away.
Your analogy is wrong. The food is free, so are the table, chairs and silverware. If you want salt, pepper and hot sauce, you’re going to have to buy it. There is not anything wrong with their f2p setup, you’re getting the game for free, can play it to level 50 without restriction.

edit- I know someone will say but, but, but there ARE restrictions, Ops WZ's and FP's. Those are side items to their leveling game.
You registered your Pre-Order code on July 21, 2011 and now are registered for the following items:
Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Collector's Edition Pre-Order
AΩE
*** Rattataki, Bounty Hunter***

Temad
11.21.2012 , 11:21 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Rothie View Post
Your analogy is wrong. The food is free, so are the table, chairs and silverware. If you want salt, pepper and hot sauce, you’re going to have to buy it. There is not anything wrong with their f2p setup, you’re getting the game for free, can play it to level 50 without restriction.

edit- I know someone will say but, but, but there ARE restrictions, Ops WZ's and FP's. Those are side items to their leveling game.
Wow, I am stunned at the lengths the apologists will go.

I am not resubbing because they F'ed up and released a hugely buggy patch, bugged cash store that is literally ripping people off and when they send in tickets, closing them with the reason "We don't refund mistakes YOU make in the cash store"....only problem is its THEIR bugs that are causing the issues.

To top it all off they go on vacation 2 days after releasing the first patch in months and one that adds an entireliy new dynamic to the game.

The UI stuff...well that just Petty. They are proving to the industry and their potential customers..."We know this ship is sinking fast and we are going for the cash grab ASAP."

Stick a fork in it...Lets just hope the Third try at a Star Wars MMO goes better.
This is my signature.

Stoofa
11.22.2012 , 04:08 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Temad View Post
Wow, I am stunned at the lengths the apologists will go.

I am not resubbing because they F'ed up and released a hugely buggy patch, bugged cash store that is literally ripping people off and when they send in tickets, closing them with the reason "We don't refund mistakes YOU make in the cash store"....only problem is its THEIR bugs that are causing the issues.

To top it all off they go on vacation 2 days after releasing the first patch in months and one that adds an entireliy new dynamic to the game.

The UI stuff...well that just Petty. They are proving to the industry and their potential customers..."We know this ship is sinking fast and we are going for the cash grab ASAP."

Stick a fork in it...Lets just hope the Third try at a Star Wars MMO goes better.
Or are you simply surprised by the fact that there are people who will try and explain why the restrictions in the game are really "no biggie" and certainly only any kind of issue to a hardcore player who wants to continue playing the way they are now...but for free?

As a new player to the game you will miss NOTHING with the restrictions. You cannot miss something you've never had. They have never had 4 short-cut bars, they have never had a "Hide head" option....they have never had any of the things they do not.
For returning players, there is not one since restriction than stops them playing the game. Without spending a single penny a player can take a character from creation to Level 50. They can play their entire storyline. That is ALL that F2P ever promised, and they delivered. A free "Basic" game.
Now if you want to play this game outside of "basic" then you will need additions to the game. Many of these will be a one-off purchase, many of these will require a weekly pass at a cost LOWER than subscription.
If however you decide that you need more and more advanced features then subscription is the option to look at.

The F2P system delivers exactly what was promised. A way for players to experience 1-50 through their storyline without the need to pay a single penny.

I am 100% convinced that the only way people would have been happy with F2P is if they got everything they currently had under subscription, but for free.
"I've had this in the past, I have some kind of entitlement to it now" is the basic attitude. And I'm afraid the basic attitude of the SWTOR community as a whole. There is this amazing sense of entitlement within the community. I've played games far worse than SWTOR, but without the basic attitudes it has become a far better game.

...and has been said numerous times. If you don't like it you know how and where to exit. Your parting shots of "Game is doomed, this suxxor" will just fall on deaf ears until thankfully a point will come when all the non-subscribers "current" subscription periods will reach an end and as the saying goes......as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced....oh for the silence.

Dalnar
11.22.2012 , 04:21 AM | #27
What sucks are not the restrictions itselfs, but how they are presented to player. Instead motivating the player to subscribe with "if you sub you will have 4 extra bars!" the game basically tells you "you suck with 2 bars, until you subscribe". Same goes for 99% of the F2P marketing lines in whole game. Negativism.

The whole model has negative tone and instead creating the idea that you should really see the benefits and convinience of running sub, you are marked as a looser and sucker until you sub. Not sure how many players will that draw to the game.

There are games, that provide you with full content and simple live by the vanity / convenient items in their pay-store.

For example what I see a good "restriction" is the transport shuttle. 2h for F2P, 30 minute for sub. That's great way to give bonus to subs. But functions like hide helmets ? seriously ? Is this function that defines the value of the game ?

Instead of spending time to adding toggles, like "hood down" that was asked for since launch. EA spend time to add this to F2P restrictions

Cretinus
11.22.2012 , 05:10 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by ClavisN View Post
Welll... the main prpblem of these guys is that they don't want to spend ANY money. Which is not how it is supposed to work.

But what SHOULD work is that if you spend some amount of money you get going. And apparently that works for new accounts, but judging from this video it doesn't work particularily well for returning players.
It doesn't work for returning players because they can't get used to the idea that they are actually not coming back to "their" account, as long as they don't resub. They're still playing a couple of their former toons because BW is kind enough to let them, but on a restricted F2P account and not on their former account.
This misunderstanding wouldn't exist if BW would delete accounts + toons after people unsub. They'd surely be entitled to do this. Of course, it would be very harsh and it would counter the cause of having people coming back.

AsheraII
11.22.2012 , 05:16 AM | #29
I'd actually suggest making unlock items for the Flashpoints. The normal mode ones at least. Something like:
Flashpack
Gain entry into Flashpoints for 15 days.
500 Cartel Points
NOT bound

Effectively, allowing players to purchase entry into FPs by purchasing cartel points AND allowing subscribers to purchase entry into FPs for their non subscriber friends or sell the item on the GTN (at 200k max, since F2Ps can't have more credits than that).

Now, 500 Cartel Points might seem a lot and 15 days might seem short, but consider this as well: subscribers get a monthly stipend of 500 Cartel Points. So a lot of "free" FP access items would start floating around if this unlock cost any less or the access time granted were any longer. I'm sure Bioware still wants to encourage people to actually subscribe, so after a while, the F2P players willl start calculating, and figure they might as well get a subscription anyway and get ALL the benefits cheaper.
. . . . . . ¶▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##¯¯(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==¯¯¯¯¯|####/¯¯

Elear
11.22.2012 , 05:37 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by AsheraII View Post
I'd actually suggest making unlock items for the Flashpoints. The normal mode ones at least. Something like:
Flashpack
Gain entry into Flashpoints for 15 days.
500 Cartel Points
NOT bound

Effectively, allowing players to purchase entry into FPs by purchasing cartel points AND allowing subscribers to purchase entry into FPs for their non subscriber friends or sell the item on the GTN (at 200k max, since F2Ps can't have more credits than that).
And this is why most of forum feedback is worthless. People have no idea how something works, but still talk about it. In this case, your error is twofold. First, F2P players are never restricted from *entering* FP, or generally doing them. Only restriction they have is on loot rolls. And secondly, this restriction can be lifted for a week if theu use unlock, purchasable from store for 500 CC. Who would have thought, huh?

@Thread:
BW stated clearly they are giving away best part of their game, and this is story. Free players can play all 8 stories without spending any money. They can also try out other pieces of game, like pvp/fp/space, but they are limited here. And this is fine. Limiting stuff like head slot or titles also doesn't affect their ability to experience anything. Quickbars, well, yeah, 3 are enough, but since 2 are doable this is exactly reason they are limited to 2.
Story part is free. MMO experience above some limits is supposed to be paid for.

Now, 500 Cartel Points might seem a lot and 15 days might seem short, but consider this as well: subscribers get a monthly stipend of 500 Cartel Points. So a lot of "free" FP access items would start floating around if this unlock cost any less or the access time granted were any longer. I'm sure Bioware still wants to encourage people to actually subscribe, so after a while, the F2P players willl start calculating, and figure they might as well get a subscription anyway and get ALL the benefits cheaper.[/QUOTE]