Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BioWare taking the whole week off for Thanksgiving?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
BioWare taking the whole week off for Thanksgiving?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

GnatB
11.20.2012 , 01:39 PM | #21
I'd assume customer service is farmed to some place in India that doesn't do Thanksgiving. But yeah, I would hope the devs are all with family, and not at work...

And forget fixing 1.5 issues. They still need to fix the 1.4 ones. (to be honest, haven't really seen any new 1.5 ones, but am still suffering 1.4 ones)

z-monty
11.20.2012 , 01:44 PM | #22
Man, Bioware cant even win during Thanksgiving...

I get what you're saying how they are a 24/7 business and there should technically be someone there just incase something happens... but c'mon man, it's Thanksgiving. I can deal with a little radio silence from them for a week if it means giving them some time off. Need to loosen up a bit there. I highly doubt they are gone now anyways, probably just busy with a lot of stuff.

Just relax, everything will be fine. Get off their backs, giving them some time with their family, and then you can go back to saying how everything isn't exactly perfect in every way, shape, and form.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!
Quote: Originally Posted by Sutii View Post
No, I'm not a big fan of the Queen or Royal Family, but yes, I do love tea.
Well played CS... well played

TUXs
11.20.2012 , 01:59 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Xatasha View Post
It is holiday season and everyone should have time off to spend with family and friends. You can live with a few problems until after the holidays don't you think
In an idealistic world, sure...but I live in the real world, where places, businesses, actually are open during the Holiday season. When I fill my car up with gas on my way to grandmas, I don't feel pity for the poor guy working...I smile, thank him and wish him a Happy Thanksgiving. When places like Target open up at 6pm, again, I don't feel pity on the employees...I'm thrilled they have a job and I admire them for being there for the masses.

This game is a service. One that lacks much professionalism. I would fully expect them to be working Monday-Wed this week.

FYI...Bioware is a Canadian company. Thanksgiving isn't some universal holiday.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

Arkerus
11.20.2012 , 02:16 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
Don't give me that. It's called shift work. Companies go into this mode all the time in the holidays. You obviously have never worked in this environment. It's part of the job. It's in the freaking job description. You and others that have never worked in a service industry, hospital, police force, fire fighters, military, etc. need to know that people in these proffesions understand that they may have to work during the holidays. Get off your high horse with your "respect" comment. Wake up and understand that not all jobs are 9-5 with lots of time off during the holidays. I never said that everyone should operate business as usual I said there should be some sort of holiday skeleton crew to field questions from the public. They have been silent since the 17th. I don't know any company were everything shuts down for a whole week at Thanksgiving. Manufacturing industries shut down during either the week of Christmas or mid July but, they still have a skeleton crew to do public relations. SWTOR is a service industry and should operate as such and that means at least one person to answer questions of the public. During the entire week they could rotate that position each day and the nature of this work could even be done from home. That is not a "large sacrifice". I have lived thru situations like this. It's not that big a deal as you seem to make it.
Get it through your thick skull that TOR isn't a hospital. Its not a police station.

It's a video game. Those folks don't need to be here. If you don't like it...there's the door. So sorry that bioware isn't here to tend to your every little precious need. Why don't you man up and quit if you are so high and righteous that they should be here working? Put some money where your mouth is.

There may even be some folks on staff today but there is nothing pressing, like a server crash, that they need to attend it. If it does happen, they will take care of it.

I see several other folks have attempted to explain it as well. But you go! You make sure Bioware knows you mean business!
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Arkerus
11.20.2012 , 02:18 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
In an idealistic world, sure...but I live in the real world, where places, businesses, actually are open during the Holiday season. When I fill my car up with gas on my way to grandmas, I don't feel pity for the poor guy working...I smile, thank him and wish him a Happy Thanksgiving. When places like Target open up at 6pm, again, I don't feel pity on the employees...I'm thrilled they have a job and I admire them for being there for the masses.

This game is a service. One that lacks much professionalism. I would fully expect them to be working Monday-Wed this week.

FYI...Bioware is a Canadian company. Thanksgiving isn't some universal holiday.
This game operates out of the Austin branch last I checked.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Graydon
11.20.2012 , 02:21 PM | #26
Wow! It's funny to see Urael on this side getting attacked by the community. How quickly the Bioware Defense Squad turn on one of their own.

Monday - Wednesday are not considered holidays to the majority of the work force. Whether Bioware chooses to grant time off to their employees is their choice, but as Urael has stated, a 24/7 service should leave an impression that somebody is manning the ship.

TUXs
11.20.2012 , 02:23 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
Get it through your thick skull...there's the door. Why don't you man up and quit if you are so high and righteous that they should be here working? Put some money where your mouth is.
So personal....so much anger. I'm quite fond of Urael's comments. I'd much prefer to have him here than bitter people who wish everyone would quit. If you disagree with his opinion, fine...but you take it so far to an extreme that you basically dare him to quit for expressing his opinion. You're free to disagree, you're not free to make this personal with insults like you did.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

Dainter
11.20.2012 , 02:25 PM | #28
I guess they were too busy working on 1.6.

Journeyer
11.20.2012 , 02:26 PM | #29
I had to re-read the OP several times to make sure all of this commentary genuinely was completely off-base.

OP says that there's no dev posts on the forum, or announced maintenance this week.

Forum discusses how shift workers have a duty to support the game despite a holiday.

See the disconnect? I mean, why are we under the impression that the entire staff running the game is on holiday this week? Is it because the small handful of devs who do community posts are quiet? Aren't we speculating a bit much here? On the other hand, if this is all we've got to worry about, then I guess the game's in good shape...
I make useful, game-expanding suggestions.
Holorancor | Food! | Outfit Storage | My Career | Ultimate PvE Solution

TUXs
11.20.2012 , 02:27 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
This game operates out of the Austin branch last I checked.
I didn't say it wasn't. I said BIOWARE is a Canadian company. I'd assume "someone" at Bioware, in either Edmonton or Montreal, might be able to fill in.