Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Problems with the solo queue idea....

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Problems with the solo queue idea....

UGLYMRJ's Avatar


UGLYMRJ
11.20.2012 , 11:29 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
***Apologies for ranting in your thread
None necessary... very valid points and honestly... I didn't even consider #3 yet. That would hurt the queue more than I realized at first. The idea alone hurts queue times... and then the numbers adding up on top of that.

And then we get into the disconnects... rage quits. Who fills those spots if there are no solo queue's in a grouped bracket?

Altheran's Avatar


Altheran
11.20.2012 , 11:43 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by UGLYMRJ View Post
1. It will never happen: The developers have stated time and time again that they want to promote community and team work. This idea completely goes against that idea.
I completely disagree with this point, it's no different from queuing for Flashpoints and Operations.
Going against community and team work would be restraining people to meet each others.
Solo queues allow people who are initially alone to be with people. In fact it does promote community and team work because it forces you to play with them.
I also believe that group queuing actually alienates people because you'll always play with the same people instead of playing with unknown people, it keeps people from being able to act and react with random people.

Quote: Originally Posted by UGLYMRJ View Post
4. Not all pre-mades are good: There are several guilds on just my server alone that make me cringe when we're teamed with them. The idea that all pre-mades are composed of face rolling gods is ridiculous. There are probably more bad pre-mades than good ones.
But I agree on this one, I don't count the number of people who only runs in premade, because when they are in pick-up they got steamrolled and show how they are nothing without the support of a full team.

---

Is it so obvious I am a hard solo queuer ?

UGLYMRJ's Avatar


UGLYMRJ
11.20.2012 , 11:51 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
I completely disagree with this point, it's no different from queuing for Flashpoints and Operations.
Going against community and team work would be restraining people to meet each others.
Solo queues allow people who are initially alone to be with people. In fact it does promote community and team work because it forces you to play with them.
I also believe that group queuing actually alienates people because you'll always play with the same people instead of playing with unknown people, it keeps people from being able to act and react with random people.
Very few MMO's have implemented anything like this and it's very unlikely to see it in this MMO which is based on a 4-8 man team composition. You say it promotes community and team work because you're forced to play with people? How is that different from now other than a solo queue idea FURTHER LIMITS THE DIFFERENT PLAYERS YOU'LL BE MATCHED WITH AND AGAINST?

I fail to see how separating people into different brackets promotes community. The logic isn't there. You'll meet more people by limiting the amount of people you're grouped with? Help me with the math on that one... I just don't understand how you think that breaks down to dividing is promoting community.

CharterMonkKent's Avatar


CharterMonkKent
11.20.2012 , 11:52 AM | #14
The problem behind the scenes is that there is no epic/structured open world pvp to draw people away from instanced 8v8 pvp.

From time to time I sit back and am amazed at how much time I spend playing just 4 WZs with the same strategies / counters over and over.
Wnk & Zlk & Knk & Xlk & Znk & Ynk & Tnk & Qnk & Chart
<Nothing Personal>
+ =

UGLYMRJ's Avatar


UGLYMRJ
11.20.2012 , 11:55 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by CharterMonkKent View Post
The problem behind the scenes is that there is no epic/structured open world pvp to draw people away from instanced 8v8 pvp.

From time to time I sit back and am amazed at how much time I spend playing just 4 WZs with the same strategies / counters over and over.
Ain't that the truth... it's unsettling to think about how many times I've played the same 10-15 minute matches.

However... even with little reward, the section X and HK-51 quests have brought some fun open world for the time being. Hopefully long enough to give us some open world until January with Ilum 2.0.

Also hoping Makeb has some open world involved.

Altheran's Avatar


Altheran
11.20.2012 , 12:00 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by UGLYMRJ View Post
Very few MMO's have implemented anything like this and it's very unlikely to see it in this MMO which is based on a 4-8 man team composition. You say it promotes community and team work because you're forced to play with people? How is that different from now other than a solo queue idea FURTHER LIMITS THE DIFFERENT PLAYERS YOU'LL BE MATCHED WITH AND AGAINST?

I fail to see how separating people into different brackets promotes community. The logic isn't there. You'll meet more people by limiting the amount of people you're grouped with? Help me with the math on that one... I just don't understand how you think that breaks down to dividing is promoting community.
Ah, but you've never said anything about separating solo and group. I thought you spoke for solo queue in ranked that would never happen.

My point was that it's not more social to group queue than to solo queue. Both promote and limit social in their own way.

CharterMonkKent's Avatar


CharterMonkKent
11.20.2012 , 12:01 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by UGLYMRJ View Post
Ain't that the truth... it's unsettling to think about how many times I've played the same 10-15 minute matches.

However... even with little reward, the section X and HK-51 quests have brought some fun open world for the time being. Hopefully long enough to give us some open world until January with Ilum 2.0.

Also hoping Makeb has some open world involved.
Here's to hoping my friend. That heroic 4 area in Section X is amazing.

Pair high credit reward missions with pvp and you've got a pretty good formula for simple open world pvp.
Wnk & Zlk & Knk & Xlk & Znk & Ynk & Tnk & Qnk & Chart
<Nothing Personal>
+ =

Exilim's Avatar


Exilim
11.20.2012 , 12:02 PM | #18
Ranked comms are a problem.
I believe in people bombing
I believe in people warring
I believe diseases coming
I believe that's why I'm running

UGLYMRJ's Avatar


UGLYMRJ
11.20.2012 , 12:06 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by CharterMonkKent View Post
Here's to hoping my friend. That heroic 4 area in Section X is amazing.

Pair high credit reward missions with pvp and you've got a pretty good formula for simple open world pvp.
I also like the idea of putting high grade crafting materials in areas for open world. Simplest thing ever that would help promote it.

TridusSWTOR's Avatar


TridusSWTOR
11.20.2012 , 12:10 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by UGLYMRJ View Post
Very few MMO's have implemented anything like this and it's very unlikely to see it in this MMO which is based on a 4-8 man team composition. You say it promotes community and team work because you're forced to play with people? How is that different from now other than a solo queue idea FURTHER LIMITS THE DIFFERENT PLAYERS YOU'LL BE MATCHED WITH AND AGAINST?

I fail to see how separating people into different brackets promotes community. The logic isn't there. You'll meet more people by limiting the amount of people you're grouped with? Help me with the math on that one... I just don't understand how you think that breaks down to dividing is promoting community.
Because the current system is pushing new people away, hence not building a community. So you are saying you support building a community but only with a system that clearly shows that it doesn't build a community. You are contradicting yourself with your own statements.

The current state of PVP doesn't welcome new blood. You even admit to that. If you don't get new blood, then you lose potential groups forming, which in turn lowers the chance of a competitive team from ever forming.

If you want to fix that "well what if 3 people want to join..." then just make it groups 4 or groups of 2. That's easy, as far as DC's go...well we deal with that now and sometimes that spot never gets filled. So don't act like solo brackets will magically make DC's a burden for everyone, since it's happening in current warzones.

And finally, if solo queue players join a pvp match with other solo players, then they are put on a team. They might see each other often and eventually become friends whom may group up together for pvp. Hence building the community. So yes in fact Solo bracket queue is group play since well...you are still playing with others in a group.