Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Noob looking for cookie cutter Jedi Sentinel info

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Noob looking for cookie cutter Jedi Sentinel info

Viridionyx's Avatar


Viridionyx
11.19.2012 , 07:00 PM | #1
I just started the game, and have a single character at lvl 17. I want to do a cookie cutter build to first get the feel for this type of build so that I can modify it later on another character.

I know I need to look for Str, End and Pow modifiers in most of my wearable items. Correct?

How would you rate the guides at www.noxxic.com? I have their Jedi Sentinel build page bookmarked already.

I know I need Synthweaving as a crew skill, and Archeology and Underworld Training have been suggested. Would you recommend others?

Thanks very much for your advice!

Dave S.

Gidrea's Avatar


Gidrea
11.19.2012 , 07:11 PM | #2
You don't NEED Synthweaving, you could have Artifice and make crystals, hilts, and enhancements. Or you don't really need to craft, you can buy what you want from other crafters on the GTN.

Recommended skills for Synthweaving are Archaeology or Slicing, and Underworld Trading.

Artifice is definitely Archaeology and Treasure Hunting. If you look under crew skills in your codex, if you've collected all the entries, that is, it tells you what gathering skills are recomneded for the different crafting skills.
Gidrea / Sallah / Amandageddon / Randava - The Harbinger

Shock and Jawa / Population Control - The family you chose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!

Oggthebase's Avatar


Oggthebase
11.20.2012 , 03:12 AM | #3
Noxxic is a good place to start, it's missing the theorycrafting discussion that used to take place at mmo-mechanics, but unfortunately the place has not been kept up to date.

Do remember however that these are not leveling builds, rather pieces of advice for the endgame.
As you level, do not worry too much on stats distribution as you won't have much choice on the gear you pick and there is little benefit in going out of your way to exchange crit for power or surge. If the piece of gear has more strength it's good.

SpoeMeister's Avatar


SpoeMeister
11.20.2012 , 03:13 AM | #4
If you want to level solo, I'd recommend using this watchman build. It will give you nice healing and single target DPS while the boost in force sweep and cyclone slash will help deal with trash faster.

I find the noxxic guide to be very helpful and I do feel their stat priority for PvE and PvP are a good cookie cutter.

As a crafting skill, I'd go with biochem. Powerful medpacs and stims are very helpful when levelling solo, especially if you can reach the reusable kind. I always tend to have both forms of medpacs (one with the major boost to yourself and the one that also heals your companion). The second one I use when soloing heroics with my companion.

I hope this helped, it's just how I'm levelling my Sentinel.
Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not yet the end.

Spivak Legacy (ToFN)
SpoeMeister Orrusos Do'chan Nadobo

Viridionyx's Avatar


Viridionyx
11.20.2012 , 10:24 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SpoeMeister View Post
If you want to level solo, I'd recommend using this watchman build. It will give you nice healing and single target DPS while the boost in force sweep and cyclone slash will help deal with trash faster.

I find the noxxic guide to be very helpful and I do feel their stat priority for PvE and PvP are a good cookie cutter.

As a crafting skill, I'd go with biochem. Powerful medpacs and stims are very helpful when levelling solo, especially if you can reach the reusable kind. I always tend to have both forms of medpacs (one with the major boost to yourself and the one that also heals your companion). The second one I use when soloing heroics with my companion.

I hope this helped, it's just how I'm levelling my Sentinel.
The guide above is the same one from noxxic which I'm currently following. I'm not playing everything solo, as I'm not nearly proficient enough to take on those scenarios by myself! I hope to someday be that good! I find I hardly use the medpacks, as I like to keep all my numbered hotkey slots for Force powers. I think I've chosen Archaeology, Slicing and Underworld Trading. I get the impression that most crew skills can be switched out and learned fairly quickly?

SpoeMeister's Avatar


SpoeMeister
11.20.2012 , 05:33 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Viridionyx View Post
The guide above is the same one from noxxic which I'm currently following. I'm not playing everything solo, as I'm not nearly proficient enough to take on those scenarios by myself! I hope to someday be that good! I find I hardly use the medpacks, as I like to keep all my numbered hotkey slots for Force powers. I think I've chosen Archaeology, Slicing and Underworld Trading. I get the impression that most crew skills can be switched out and learned fairly quickly?
Leveling solo is not so much a matter of proficiency. SWTOR is my first real MMORPG and with the companion it's fairly easy as long as you keep yourself leveled (by just doing all missions and sidemissions, this is a breeze) and keep your gear relatively up-to-date (which is also done by finishing many quests)

you don't necessarily need to hotkey the medpacs, and even if you do, you can hotkey it to something that is barely out of reach, like the button "G", which is otherwise used for the guild screen...

Anyways, you have set your path and I wish you good luck on it :-) crew skills can be switched out easy, but it would be a shame to just delete a skill with level 400 and start all over again. But it's definitely plausible, as you'll be earning plenty of cash by selling the materials you gain.
Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not yet the end.

Spivak Legacy (ToFN)
SpoeMeister Orrusos Do'chan Nadobo

Viridionyx's Avatar


Viridionyx
11.22.2012 , 01:27 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Gidrea View Post
You don't NEED Synthweaving, you could have Artifice and make crystals, hilts, and enhancements. Or you don't really need to craft, you can buy what you want from other crafters on the GTN.

Recommended skills for Synthweaving are Archaeology or Slicing, and Underworld Trading.

Artifice is definitely Archaeology and Treasure Hunting. If you look under crew skills in your codex, if you've collected all the entries, that is, it tells you what gathering skills are recomneded for the different crafting skills.
So you would recommend Artifice, Archaeology and Treasure Hunting? I'm assuming the items I collect would eventually be combined at a Crafting station?

Thanks!

Dave S.

ScarletBlaze's Avatar


ScarletBlaze
11.22.2012 , 01:47 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Viridionyx View Post
So you would recommend Artifice, Archaeology and Treasure Hunting? I'm assuming the items I collect would eventually be combined at a Crafting station?

Thanks!

Dave S.
Crafting is done by your companions and there should be schematic you purchase every so often from the trainer. Note: Learning the schematics can become very expensive the higher you go. I would pay attention to your credits as your training also gets more expensive. Always focus on the training first as you need those skills more.

Check your companions some of them will have +5 or something in either crafting, gathering or mission skills. I would recommend using those to do the crafting and mission skills. Gathering you should be able to do as you level as you will see nodes of resources in the world you can gather yourself.

I'm a Jedi Consular (shadow) and I have synthweaving and it works for me considering most of my money comes from crafting auguments (any crafter I believe can do those), modable outfits, and augment kits (these are reserved for synweavers, armormech and armotech crafters only) . But I should note all my skills are maxed .
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30