Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Have to buy Action bars? REALLY?!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Have to buy Action bars? REALLY?!

fungihoujo's Avatar


fungihoujo
11.20.2012 , 08:00 PM | #31
UI options being paid for features is simply absurd. There's a hundred things that would be far better for a store that BW isn't using. Where's the 25 dollar mounts and 10 dollar mini pets that Blizzard is selling in a fully pay to play game? Yes, there's the cartel packs, which are cute- but a- you can buy them on the GTN if you have the money anyway, and b- there's a limit to what they hold.

What's next? Chat functions, mini map, your health bar, scrolling combat text?

UI functions should never be a store purchase- nevermind how well it might sell or not, consider that this is a game that already has been the subject of terrible press, and now people are going to ask 'how is the f2p in swtor?' and get answered 'you have to pay for your quickslots'.

Absolutely terrible, people defending this need to realize that BW isn't in a position where they can afford to be alienating their potential playerbase with such nasty nickel and diming over what are, even for f2p mmos, considered standard features of the game.

They can make their money elsewhere if they tried. This just gives the impression that this game really is WAR 2- and the devs have given up on it.

Dobah's Avatar


Dobah
11.20.2012 , 09:32 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Nataph View Post
If you are NOT paying for the game, you would be penalized... is it that obvious? F2P, they said you could do quests all the way up to 50, they didnt say you would get a total free game and thats including quick slots.
You say you have to sub.. sub one month. is 15$ that bad because if it is that bad for you maybe you shouldnt be spending money on games, internet, monitor, a great pc among other things.
The way i see it, i spend 15$ for 2 hours at the movies, which arent that great so I could easily spend 15$ for a whole month of gameplay.
Even if your complaint is legit, I cannot see the complaint simply because I do pay. I dont play flashpoints. All I am doing now is working on my 4th 50 and I do wz's all the time on most of my characters. To me, thats enough to pay 15$ a month just so I do not need to be creative in how i use my coins. I can just play without penalty. I like my slots, I like my crew skills, I like my gear and all the wz's i can play. I play around 60 hours a month. 15$ for 60 hours is a deal to me.
The Fact is, people go to F2P for the means to pay when they want and whenever. $15 is not a big deal, its the stupid business model they decided to go with to force people to pay for a essential UI function.

You don't create a F2P business model that forces you to buy something you know you will need very early into the game. It only ticks off the players and most likely turns them away.
Doba- Level 50 Assassin
Guild Officer of <Omni>
Twin Spears

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
11.20.2012 , 10:11 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Dobah View Post
The Fact is, people go to F2P for the means to pay when they want and whenever. $15 is not a big deal, its the stupid business model they decided to go with to force people to pay for a essential UI function.

You don't create a F2P business model that forces you to buy something you know you will need very early into the game. It only ticks off the players and most likely turns them away.
how many times do we have to explain to you that NO western MMO is ever F2P. It's just freemium and it works really well.

You are also wrong about needing the other quick bars early in the game. You can easily make it all the way to 50 with only 2 quick bars.
I know i did.

However if you want to do end game raiding then yes you need them. But you can't do end game raiding with out paying anyway.

More importantly why are you still here?

You said in your first post Good luck with F2P indicating you were leaving

So if you are done with the game why are you still posting in the forums ( the wrong forum btw) about how much you hate something you aren't going to play? Why not just leave and never come back? Do you want to just have an argument? are you trying to stroke your ego online? whats the deal?

Dobah's Avatar


Dobah
11.20.2012 , 10:30 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
how many times do we have to explain to you that NO western MMO is ever F2P. It's just freemium and it works really well.

You are also wrong about needing the other quick bars early in the game. You can easily make it all the way to 50 with only 2 quick bars.
I know i did.

However if you want to do end game raiding then yes you need them. But you can't do end game raiding with out paying anyway.

More importantly why are you still here?

You said in your first post Good luck with F2P indicating you were leaving

So if you are done with the game why are you still posting in the forums ( the wrong forum btw) about how much you hate something you aren't going to play? Why not just leave and never come back? Do you want to just have an argument? are you trying to stroke your ego online? whats the deal?
Because I don't want to see this game crash and burn, I've already said how much crap I think the hot bar system is and not only that but the fact that you can upgrade your account for $5 to get ALL of the Digital CE items that people like me payed $150 for at the beginning. It's not encouraging older players to come back and its sad.
Doba- Level 50 Assassin
Guild Officer of <Omni>
Twin Spears

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
11.20.2012 , 10:47 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Dobah View Post
Because I don't want to see this game crash and burn, I've already said how much crap I think the hot bar system is and not only that but the fact that you can upgrade your account for $5 to get ALL of the Digital CE items that people like me payed $150 for at the beginning. It's not encouraging older players to come back and its sad.
if you don't want to see the game crash and burn.

1. Why did you stop subbing back after 4 months?
2. Why aren't you subbing now?

If you don't want to see it crash and burn then you should actually pay for the game. Another f2p player who isn't paying a dime like yourself isn't helping the game. In fact you are helping the game crash and burn.


Again you have been rewarded for paying $150 with 1000 cartel coins, do yourself a favor and subscribe for 1 month to get them and show your support.

Saying that you paid $150 for a MMO and then saying you should get everything free now is exactly like complaing that McDonalds is giving away free big macs and you are angry that you have to pay for a drink and frys. You are saying you should get them for free because you have eaten at McDonalds before.

You already got what you paid for and now you want more for free.

Dobah's Avatar


Dobah
11.21.2012 , 12:05 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
if you don't want to see the game crash and burn.

1. Why did you stop subbing back after 4 months?
2. Why aren't you subbing now?

If you don't want to see it crash and burn then you should actually pay for the game. Another f2p player who isn't paying a dime like yourself isn't helping the game. In fact you are helping the game crash and burn.


Again you have been rewarded for paying $150 with 1000 cartel coins, do yourself a favor and subscribe for 1 month to get them and show your support.

Saying that you paid $150 for a MMO and then saying you should get everything free now is exactly like complaing that McDonalds is giving away free big macs and you are angry that you have to pay for a drink and frys. You are saying you should get them for free because you have eaten at McDonalds before.

You already got what you paid for and now you want more for free.
You do know that has nothing to do with this topic right, McDonalds is not a video game or a F2P model
Doba- Level 50 Assassin
Guild Officer of <Omni>
Twin Spears

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
11.21.2012 , 12:08 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Dobah View Post
You do know that has nothing to do with this topic right, McDonalds is not a video game or a F2P model
so you don't know how an analogy works and you ignored everything else in the post.

So tell me how you are supporting the game when you refuse to pay any money for it?

wmtyrance's Avatar


wmtyrance
11.21.2012 , 05:27 AM | #38
I was going to sub but after hearing about this quick bar crap forget about it. I will play through my free time and uninstall the game. Glad it only cost my 10 bucks on amazon. I will never support any game that would do something as sleazy as this. It just seems this genre is going down the toilet.

Pirana's Avatar


Pirana
11.21.2012 , 06:54 AM | #39
Is it a questionable decision regarding the toolbars? Probably. Either way, it's the decision that's been made, so you can either pay the fifty cents a day it costs you to play, or have limited choices, it's really that simple.

My guess is that the toolbar issue will be one of the first things to change, but it's a slippery slope. Once you cater to the minority, ultimately the domino effect kicks in.
Beta - April 16, 2014 (Retired)
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination - Pirana

Dobah's Avatar


Dobah
11.21.2012 , 03:02 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Pirana View Post
Is it a questionable decision regarding the toolbars? Probably. Either way, it's the decision that's been made, so you can either pay the fifty cents a day it costs you to play, or have limited choices, it's really that simple.

My guess is that the toolbar issue will be one of the first things to change, but it's a slippery slope. Once you cater to the minority, ultimately the domino effect kicks in.
Point is people don't come to play a F2P game that forces you to pay $15. The best way to deal with this is to Charge people for Cosmetics and Game Updates, but not UI functions.
Doba- Level 50 Assassin
Guild Officer of <Omni>
Twin Spears