FTP is Too "Free". Please adjust model.

Klarick

Dear Bioware,

As a Founder and subscriber, I'm a little dismayed that you are willing to give away so much of the game, that I pay for each month. Dont get me wrong, I like FTP options as I do think they are beneficial to the ongoing development of a game. However, the path you have chosen is unpredented in how much it gives for nothing.

A person can play the entire storyline of every class in the game, on either side of the conflict, without paying a dime! Really? That's a bit much IMO, and sort of a slap to us that pay monthly. As a suggestion I would like to see a more LOTRO type of model where a FTP'r has to buy quest packs and zone unlocks in order to progress. This method allows the FTP'ers a choice in what parts of the game they want to play WITHOUT angering those that pay a monthly subscription.

What you have done here is decide to just give the game away. I trust you know what you are doing here, but I, for one, am not too crazy about it.

Thank you,

Klarick

FOUNDER

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Satire aside, why do people keep thinking the Founder title comes with priviledges and commands the devs respect?

The Founder title lets the devs visually know who they already took money from.

The devs have done a great job making players feel special about having it though, that's for sure. Think about that the next time you see a free and cheap incentive from a game.

I... can't tell if you're serious. Free2Players already have to buy extra quick bars.

Hello Tatile,

FTP'rs HAVE to buy extra quick bars? Who told you that? A FTP'er is given, for free, two quickbars. I have played since Beta and can tell you, that although 4 bars are convenient, they are not necessary. Actually, if at any point you find yourself REQUIRING more than 2 bars, than you are playing SWTOR incorrectly. I agree that more than two is convenienet and a niceity, but two is really all you NEED to play.

When BW first announced the FTP restrictions, the FTP'er was only going to get one quickbar. At that time, I was on your side of the argument, as only having one bar would pretty much make the game unplayable before a person would hit 50. BW adjusted thier thinking, now you get the needed two. If you want more, then just pay the $2.00 bucks for the convenience of them.

Edited by Klarick

I... can't tell if you're serious. Free2Players already have to buy extra quick bars.

I'm sure he is serious. I think they should have had to buy the box to get the storylines personally.

Also, I really wish they weren't allowed to que up for hard modes in their non-artifact gear. It's not good enough for the content.

wow the ego on this guy.:eek:

if BW/EA do put on more restrictions, i say that they should just do away with F2P and go back to the sub only model.

while this game will return to it sinking ship status, at least you will have your your precious game to yourself without f2p players,right? :rolleyes:

I really can't tell if OP is serious....or delusional.

I subscribed for 6 months, but BW kept pulling some shady things that upset me. So I quit. The game wasn't worth a full subscription.....

And what sort of F2P model do they give us.....

it costs MORE to do F2P in a decent manner for PvP(and it goes for end game raiding too) than it does a subscription.....

You're upset that they can experience the story? haven't you heard everyone complaining that they're are some insane restrictions? Charging new players for sprint at level 1, not enough quick bars....

Would have paying for each unlock been a better option? Probably. Because the current system is too EXPENSIVE, and it makes the story experience terrible.

The F2P model is bad, but your title is wrong. It's not because it's too free.

This is yet another horrible decision by BW. They give away a ton, but locked so much stuff its going to be an awful experience for people. They have the best story and grind to 50 of any mmo. They let people have it for free but then lock all the fun stuff behind pay. If I started a character today with all those limitations I wouldn't enjoy the game at all.

So yes the give it away, but they made it crap. Totally boggling.

Edited by Mercbenz

OP, does the free to play option does affect you in any negative way? I suspect it doesn't, so don't concern yourself with what others are getting, just enjoy your own game.

It's filled my flashpoint/sm ops groups full of people not capable of the content due to lack of gear and preparation.

Ugh.

I'm a founder too and I am very glad the best part of this game is free. The model as it is isn't horrible, but it's still very limiting and the number of threads about nickle and diming the player base as is is a good representation of how the community feels as a whole.

And the comparison to LOTRO? Wrong, wrong, wrong. F2P players get access to the entire base game. You pay for the expansion packs. SWTOR doesn't have any expansion packs yet, unless you count the HK51 update, in which case you DO have to pay for it, so its effectively identical, but with much less quality of life features.

Quickbars anyone? Hide head slot? Jesus.

It's filled my flashpoint/sm ops groups full of people not capable of the content due to lack of gear and preparation.

FTP flashpoint and ops participation are heavily restricted (3 a week i think?) and if they're doing ops already they must be former subbers, who will be slightly more savvy and better geared. Besides, lack of sub is not related to ability in the slightest. This FTP lark leaves a lot to be desired, but let's not pretend there's a problem where there isn't one.

Dear Bioware,

As a Founder and subscriber, I'm a little dismayed that you are willing to give away so much of the game, that I pay for each month. Dont get me wrong, I like FTP options as I do think they are beneficial to the ongoing development of a game. However, the path you have chosen is unpredented in how much it gives for nothing.

A person can play the entire storyline of every class in the game, on either side of the conflict, without paying a dime! Really? That's a bit much IMO, and sort of a slap to us that pay monthly. As a suggestion I would like to see a more LOTRO type of model where a FTP'r has to buy quest packs and zone unlocks in order to progress. This method allows the FTP'ers a choice in what parts of the game they want to play WITHOUT angering those that pay a monthly subscription.

What you have done here is decide to just give the game away. I trust you know what you are doing here, but I, for one, am not too crazy about it.

Thank you,

Klarick

FOUNDER

F2P has been hugely successful for LOTRO. Guess what. You get completely free access to the main "Fellowship" storyline. The quest packs you purchase are optional, they are not necessary to progress. EVERYBODY has to pay for expansion content, though.

Edited by eldefail

Actually, if at any point you find yourself REQUIRING more than 2 bars, than you are playing SWTOR incorrectly. .

Who are you to tell ANYONE how to play or whether they're playing 'correctly' or not? Just because YOU think 2 bars is enough doesn't mean jack diddly squat to me. I like my 4 bars. They come in handy and I use them.

FTP flashpoint and ops participation are heavily restricted (3 a week i think?) and if they're doing ops already they must be former subbers, who will be slightly more savvy and better geared. Besides, lack of sub is not related to ability in the slightest. This FTP lark leaves a lot to be desired, but let's not pretend there's a problem where there isn't one.

Well, at 3 chances per week, it does mean they are less able because they haven't practiced as much.

Running 3 FP or OPs for F2P's a week isn't the cause of people lacking gear or preparation for you, its the subscribers that are clueless then.

Also, there is a limitation on the gear you can equip as a F2P and even limitations on quest rewards. So, if a F2P is undergeared, its by design, not by their choice. which, the only solution would be to make FP's even easier. Who wants that?????

Edit:

As the poster above states, how are you going to learn doing only 3 a week?

Edited by RycheMykola