Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware it's time to NERF Snipers/Gunslinger. All read please.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Bioware it's time to NERF Snipers/Gunslinger. All read please.

stringcat
11.19.2012 , 02:24 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
EP usage is what separates noob Engineering Snipers from Godlike Engineering Snipers. It takes a good amount of skill to make the best use of it. On the contrary I had snipers placing the explosive probe when i was dashing my way out of their line of sight.. I was out of their line of sight with that explosive ball waiting to be triggered at my feet, fat chance, i can wait a little beyond the corner until that thing expires
There are engineers who don't have interrogation probe on their current kill target? (I mean, running like hell can protect you from the cluster bombs I guess, but those matter way more for energy regen than not damage). I guess target switching happens - grudgingly -- but I hate it when it does. Need to keep track of who has IP to get the adrenaline probe & shield probe reset. If you're killing the guy with it on them, easy to remember!

Quote:
Besides the 30 CD of EP is the defining weakness of engineering. It has to stay that way, or there will be way too much incentives to go Engineering over MM or Lethality.
You make a good point. Need to maintain the Special Snowflake status of engineer snipers.

Quote:
It's a very fine example why the sniper is balanced in PVP. My only gripe with it are way how Asassins and Operatives deny me from soloing enemy capture points. I can handle marauders, sorcerers, PT, mercs, juggernauts solo, but a talented assassin is just way too much to handle.
Eh. No different from any other class really. If no one seems to be there, 1-2 stealthers. Do not attack. If 1 visible, then there may be a stealther --- if so, solo attacker would lose no matter what their class was. If decide to take chance and charge in, sniper is in a good spot to solo the visible guard and take the objective

(Why is everyone else focusing on difficulty against assassins? They're hard, but not damn-near impossible like ops. Maybe I suck to an unusual degree vs. ops.)

Quote:
On second thoughts.. let the stealthers have an easy time with snipers. I think duel wise, a sniper getting stealth attacked by an assassin or operative is probably one of the most skill intensive match-ups in game. Nothing in this game demands so much good reaction and anticipation, with Sniper vs marauder coming in close second.
I disagree. Assassin duel is good fight. Operatives just have too much burst and they can LOS/mezz to self-heal -- I mean, it's fun crowing when you actually (rarely) WIN, but it's not competitive enough to be a good "skill match." (Or at least I hope it's not, considering my current record.)

I don't think marauders are that skill intensive, it's just an advantage: sniper class matchup. With a little presence of mind, snipers just need to root that when their defense cooldowns are up, plus rotate defensive cooldowns appropriately. Even dueling a marauder badly (as alas I often do), and not paying attention to their defensive cooldowns like an idiot until it's Too Late, it's a match that will usually end with sniper victory at a sliver of health.
Valiya Illegal Test Kitchen The Bastion

Tragamite
11.19.2012 , 02:30 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by NogueiraA View Post
Stop looking at mara's and powertechs for a few minutes. Look at snipers...
No, it's not a QQ thread, because I have 4 toons valor 60+ and a sniper valor 52.

Let's look at the defensive abilities sniper's have.

- Cover - You cant jump him.

- Entrench - immune of ALL control abilities, lasts 20 seconds... 20 seconds IMMUNE of all CC's, knockbacks, whatever... Force Shroud lasts 5 secs.. 45 secs cooldown.

- Debilitate - stun the target for 4 seconds, NOT breaks on damage. 45 secs coodown.
- Flashbang - stun the target for 8 seconds, breaks on damage. 1 min cooldown.

- Leg Shot - instant root, lasts 5 seconds, breaks if damage after 2 seconds... He can use leg shot, shoot you before 2 seconds, you can do nothing and you will wait more 3 seconds until the root finish. 16 secs cooldown.

- Shield Probe - Absorb damage for 15 seconds. 45 secs cooldown.

- Evasion - dodge melee and ranged atacks by 100% chance, lasts 3 seconds. 1 min cooldown.

- Ballistic Shield - deploys a giant shield reducing the damge taken for you and all allies by 20%, lasts 15 secs. 3 min cooldown.

- Cover Pulse - knocks your target to the moon, AND root 5 seconds. Breaks if damage after 2 seconds, he can shoot you before 2 seconds, you can do nothing and you will wait more 3 seconds until the root finish. 30 secs cooldown.

- Shatter Shot - Reduce the target armor by 20% for 45 secs. Inflicts Trauma for 9 secs and reduce all healing the target receives by 20%. 5 secs cooldown.

- Ambush knockback - Marksmanship has a 1 point talent: When Ambush strikes a target within 10 meters, the target is knocked back several meters.

So 11 defensive tools, a LOT OF damage, you guys know how much hurts each shoot from a sniper. He can kill you in 3 GCD.

Seriously Bioware, this class NEEDS a huge nerf.

"just LOS him"... No, melee class has no gap closer against snipers.
L2P? Ok, roll a melee and try to kill a sniper.

English i'ts not my first language, sorry for mistakes.
Thanks.
I didn't read all the ppsts to this thread so if what I say has been addressed I apologize.

Key thing to note about snipe/slingers is they literally have 0 mobility. They have to take cover for nearly all their abilities. I had this argument with my broinlaw whom plays a mara and was all up in arms about not being able to jump at them.

So here is the deal, the concept of the sniper is to kill from a distance. When a melee stays in melee range with a sniper the sniper dies. So the goal of the sniper is to keep you at range.

Seriously the ONLY class that can not "regularly" kill a sniper is the mara! Second being the other melee class jugs.

I Have 4 50's. A sorc that can easilly take down a sniper, a jugg that regularly takes down snipers, a PT that easily defends against a sniper and the SNIPER that allowed me to learn all the weakness and strengths of the sniper!

Because I am fairly good at playing a sniper I am leathal in WZs. However the mobility of other classes really give everyone else the advantage.

If they nerf the sniper at either long range or short you kill the class altogether. It is indead a very balanced class.

And because OP promoted the 20 second imune every minute that is the same ratio as the PT, Jugg and Sins imune buff. Additionally if the sniper has to move before the 20 second buff he loses it for the entire minute. Not so with the other 3 ACs.

It is a class you have to play to understand how weak and strong they truely are. Playing against one will only make them feel OP.

NoTomorrow
11.19.2012 , 02:46 PM | #73
Tragamite

what's your PT tank experience against Snipers currently? I have not experienced this match-up after 1.4.
The way the gear scaled on my sniper it provided me more and more chances to overcome even the worst possible matchup which is MM against PT Tank. Even this match-up that is supposed to be a desperate experience for a sniper, i could hold my ground thanks to Target Acquired changes, which allows me to overcome your high defense and high armor.

Engineering has more tech damage options which already shifts the match-up in my favor, especially since i go for 22000 hp on my engi.

Lethality, no need to comment here as it pretty much designed to hard counter you.

So unless you have a pocket medic, i do not feel threatened by PT Tanks.

Actually the wost match-up of PT specs used to be PT Pyro vs Lethality, because it does not have ballistic dampers. But after the range nerf i have no idea how this matchup changed.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Groncho
11.19.2012 , 02:55 PM | #74
op needs to L2post
Che
LATIN LOVER

Free Transfer??=

Hialot
11.19.2012 , 03:31 PM | #75
He musta ran into my sniper Mjstoner
THE FORCE IS STRONG WITH THIS ONE

Technohic
11.19.2012 , 03:32 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by Hialot View Post
He musta ran into my sniper Mjstoner
Easy fix. Time for me to log in on my Sniper and skew the numbers. I better be carefull; they might give snipers a buff when I am done.

Glower
11.19.2012 , 04:18 PM | #77
So... My sniper overpowered after all!? YAY!!!
P.S.: OP u really crazy!
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg; Dec 2016, livestream: "RNG is exciting"
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

Invictusthetaru
11.19.2012 , 04:23 PM | #78
Operatives shred slingers? Is that a joke? After 1 knock back you can kite them forever, and they need to be in melee range to do solid DPS. I don't think my slinger has ever lost a 1v1 to an operative.

Tank sins in DPS gear are the most annoying.
Ladle- 65 Sentinel
Ladled- 65 Commando
Spinalcheck- 65 Scoundrel
Tongs-65 Gunslinger

NoTomorrow
11.19.2012 , 04:29 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by Invictusthetaru View Post
Operatives shred slingers? Is that a joke? After 1 knock back you can kite them forever, and they need to be in melee range to do solid DPS. I don't think my slinger has ever lost a 1v1 to an operative.

You have the advantage to attack at the most opportune times. If you are a good operative, and you know sniper cooldowns you can wreck them. If an op just goes for random hidden strike on huttball catwalks, its of course no big deal.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

stringcat
11.19.2012 , 06:01 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by Invictusthetaru View Post

You must fight really bad operatives. A knockback means jacksquat if a root doesn't take.

Your slinger has never fought a decent operative one on one.
Valiya Illegal Test Kitchen The Bastion