Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware it's time to NERF Snipers/Gunslinger. All read please.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Bioware it's time to NERF Snipers/Gunslinger. All read please.

Technohic
11.19.2012 , 10:00 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by stringcat View Post
Luxury of LOS? What about luxury of time? I can't really imagine a circumstance in which you can afford to just hide out of LOS for twenty seconds in a warzone.

Then I was going to explain about how OS makes this tactic not work, but I realized you said "even in sub-50" and realized it was not really applicable. I may be a little overly dependent on OS in duels, but it's SO cuddly and so wonderful to force melee to fight in.

Snipers do pretty well in duels. Except against Concealment Operatives, who CLEARLY need to be nerfed some more, and to a lesser degree assassins/shadows.
Are you really calling for nerfs based on deuls?

As for the 20 seconds of LOS. Better 20s than to charge and take the kill.

stringcat
11.19.2012 , 12:49 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Are you really calling for nerfs based on deuls?

As for the 20 seconds of LOS. Better 20s than to charge and take the kill.
I'm not calling for nerfs at all. I think snipers are well balanced. (Though I think EP should be every 20 seconds instead of every 30 seconds -- engineering needs a little more burst).

But "wait 20s then go after them" (or the 1 v 1 discussion generally) is really only applicable in a duel scenario -- such as when a sniper is guarding a turret solo and is attacked or (more rarely) attacks a node solo. But that 20 seconds fiddling thumbs would either be used to get backup, or to get the objective.

It's not hard to kill a sniper 2 v 1, entrench or no entrench, and there's no reason to solo anyone in a general skirmish.

As to whether it's better to attack an entrenched sniper or not die --- that's fairly situational. If they're burning down a healer, it may be time to put on big kid pants and deal with the sniper sooner rather than later, even if means dying.
Valiya Illegal Test Kitchen The Bastion

DarthOvertone
11.19.2012 , 12:54 PM | #63
Snipers/Slingers are a beautifully balanced Ranged DPS class. Leave them alone.
Conqueror Alphabolt - Garbage S1 & S2-Champion Van | The Bastion
Conqueror Alphazen - Shadow | Battlemaster Alphawood - Guardian | War Hero Alphanoob - PT
Jung Ma | Conqueror Alphabond - Sniper | Conqueror Alphamaul - Marauder | Battlemaster Alphafett - Mercenary
SWTOR 3.0: All Hail Maintenance Mode PvP!!

UGLYMRJ
11.19.2012 , 12:54 PM | #64
While snipers are good... they definitely don't need a nerf.

Which leads me to one conclusion...

That object between the keyboard and your desk chair could obviously use a buff.

UGLYMRJ
11.19.2012 , 12:55 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthOvertone View Post
Snipers/Slingers are a beautifully balanced Ranged DPS class. Leave them alone.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I actually went through the thread looking for you comment. Good timing..

On second thought... nerf gunslingers and snipers immediately!!!

Technohic
11.19.2012 , 12:57 PM | #66
I'm not calling for nerfs at all. I think snipers are well balanced. (Though I think EP should be every 20 seconds instead of every 30 seconds -- engineering needs a little more burst).

But "wait 20s then go after them" (or the 1 v 1 discussion generally) is really only applicable in a duel scenario -- such as when a sniper is guarding a turret solo and is attacked or (more rarely) attacks a node solo. But that 20 seconds fiddling thumbs would either be used to get backup, or to get the objective.

It's not hard to kill a sniper 2 v 1, entrench or no entrench, and there's no reason to solo anyone in a general skirmish.
Yeah, it's not a situation I would say you go after; but I have had it happen before to where I have went after a sniper when our teams are skirmishing below, just because I knew not to just let him sit up top and take shots. The sniper throws out that entrench and cover pulse me, setting me up to duck behind a wall. That gives him a choice to waste 20 seconds with me, or to ignore that I was there and resume firing; either way, he is not hitting me. A lot of times; they decide to relocate and kill their own entrench.

I'm not sure if Eng needs a lower CD on that. I am torn between MM and Eng on my sniper when I play him. MM feels more like a sniper to me and can really burn down soft targets. Eng provides a lot of tools though; that are very team oriented.

NoTomorrow
11.19.2012 , 01:46 PM | #67

As to whether it's better to attack an entrenched sniper or not die --- that's fairly situational. If they're burning down a healer, it may be time to put on big kid pants and deal with the sniper sooner rather than later, even if means dying.
EP usage is what separates noob Engineering Snipers from Godlike Engineering Snipers. It takes a good amount of skill to make the best use of it. On the contrary I had snipers placing the explosive probe when i was dashing my way out of their line of sight.. I was out of their line of sight with that explosive ball waiting to be triggered at my feet, fat chance, i can wait a little beyond the corner until that thing expires

Besides the 30 CD of EP is the defining weakness of engineering. It has to stay that way, or there will be way too much incentives to go Engineering over MM or Lethality.

It's a very fine example why the sniper is balanced in PVP. My only gripe with it are way how Asassins and Operatives deny me from soloing enemy capture points. I can handle marauders, sorcerers, PT, mercs, juggernauts solo, but a talented assassin is just way too much to handle.

On second thoughts.. let the stealthers have an easy time with snipers. I think duel wise, a sniper getting stealth attacked by an assassin or operative is probably one of the most skill intensive match-ups in game. Nothing in this game demands so much good reaction and anticipation, with Sniper vs marauder coming in close second.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Jadescythe
11.19.2012 , 01:53 PM | #68
I dunno, any class that can be beaten by walking around the corner seems counterable by any class.

Seriously though, these are a pain for warrior types, but as that is their primary purpose, I don't see the problem.
I have opinions and stuff

foxmob
11.19.2012 , 01:56 PM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramtar View Post
Just have the devs remove the access to self heal when selecting the DPS trees and you got a deal.
wow. if you ever catch a dps sage/commando trying to heal himself in the middle of a fight, you've already won. stop gawking and finish him. those heals aren't worth crap if they aren't spec'd, and they WASTE a lot of time in the cast. christ. a sin heals himself more efficiently than a dps commando. get over this "pure dps" bias. if you're not spec'd heal, the heals are useless. lol you can have my assault commando's heals. wow. I lose exactly one medpac in the deal, and that's only if I wanna sacrifice the burst that I could get by instant casting a plasma grenade.
A legacy of meh
Krackerjäck/Krackerjak (VG/PT) | Krackerjack/Deinon (Mando/Merc) | Deìnon (Jugg) | other stuffs
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.

NoTomorrow
11.19.2012 , 01:57 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
I dunno, any class that can be beaten by walking around the corner seems counterable by any class.

Seriously though, these are a pain for warrior types, but as that is their primary purpose, I don't see the problem.
The problem with warrior classes players, the beginner ones, some of them have even a more narrow vision than snipers do. They are just so focused on their current melee target that they forget to notice that they are outgunned and shouldn't drag their presence too long in that territory. Since they have the tools for it, like huge damage reduction, combat vanish, they should not complain about snipers.

Personally i would prefer for Range DPS in SWTOR to have a 2s shorter interrupt as they are a joke at dealing with healers currently. 12s CD is just way too much, basically forces the mindset: if you want a healer dead - put a marauder or PT on him. Because everything else will take ages to kill.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.