Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Player Housing?

Scovina
11.19.2012 , 10:54 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by hchsiao View Post
SWTOR's world is too small to allow player house. There will be a lot of QQs that players can't find land or the location them like to build their house. (As EX-UO and SWG player I know it all too well.)
Well seeing as the game has instanced areas you are wrong about that. They could easily make a building not being used into an instanced home. If you wanted to invite people in you send them an invite just like in STO. No one can get onto your ship unless you allow it.

Nydus
11.20.2012 , 11:17 AM | #22
While I enjoyed the housing model of SWG, that clearly isn't possible with this game engine.

What they've indicated is a certain level of customization with one's ships (colours, etc.) and the addition of guild ships. I'm not sure that is quite enough given that many of the ships in orbit around fleet are completely empty (why bother going to your "guild ship" if there is nothing to do there).

What this game is clearly lacking is an ability to customize your experience. I literally see multiple people of the same gender, race, class, subclass, armour, and even bloody haircut running around at advanced levels. It sort of bursts the immersion bubble right there. Even if they allowed enhanced ability to colourize existing armour that would be a step in the right direction.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

Prokaryote
11.24.2012 , 11:18 PM | #23
When I saw the Cartel Coins paired with a F2P model, player housing was the first thing that came to mind. As of now, the stuff on the market for cartel coins is maybe attractive to a F2Per, but *meh* for a subscriber. But I'm a sucker for some shiny new furniture for my ship/house, which could be bought exclusively through cartel coins. I'm sure many people feel the same way, and if BioWare really wants to rake in the cash, that's the kind of stuff they should put on the cartel market.

tankthing
11.27.2012 , 04:52 PM | #24
One thing that would be pretty cool for guild ships/stations is if they let you build it yourself.

You'd buy a core and then select a component you'd like to add or upgrade. Grant all subscribed guild members a 4th crew skill to work on the station and a few relevent items to craft against - eg work on weapons, work on shields, work on an additional interior space type to add a medbay, crew quarters, bridge upgrade, elevator, ongoing maintenance, whatever.

When enough crew skills have been ran against that particular component - perhaps visible as a sort of exp bar at the guild bank, the area becomes unlocked and accessible. The quarters could act as a sort of character housing and the public areas could be decorated by holostatues and memorabilia of guild achievements like clearing ops with all guild members.

You could do things like create a guild vs guild scenario where the objective is to access critical data, kill a specific guild member, whatever, held by an opposing faction's guild vs defend your station/teammate from boarders.

The more internal defenses you build up, the harder it is to get past those encounters and with the mixture of pve vs pvp it'd be some interesting fights.

Add in individual ship bays and the guild ship or station could act as a carrier and hook for pvp and pve space battles in a multiplayer format.

Make external defenses customizable and add internal weapons stations coupled with the above group pve and you have a capital ship plus fighter support you could get into some REALLY intriguing space combat with.

This has the potential to be a huge addition and goes along the lines of what I'm hoping the space project thing really is.

Jiminison
11.27.2012 , 10:32 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by SavageOpress View Post
Yeah that would be awesome!

Things that also would be awesome to add to the space:
  1. Free space so you can just fly around.
  2. Kill ships of the opposite faction (PvP).
  3. Multiple cannons that can be controlled by other players so you can do group missions or something like that.
  4. Fully customizable, so you can change furniture and that kind of stuff so every ship is different and that makes it unique.
  5. Huge guild ships.

All these things could be really expensive so that would be a new great money sink that will almost last forever. And off course people can show off ^^ posting pictures of their ships on the forums.
Bingo!

The_Brick
11.27.2012 , 10:37 PM | #26
This was debated at length years before launch... the official answer has always been Player Ships.

Granted, it would be nice if we had some customization options, even little stuff like a set of sliders to choose different decor or something.

prasys
11.28.2012 , 02:49 AM | #27
Bioware/EA could make use of cartel coins here , make our ships to be customization , for start - allow us to change the colours and even the interior of the ship . Probably an option to purchase junks like own jukebox and probably a disco ball (so you could throw a party in your ship). Just add these simple things and I am quite sure that folks wouldn't hesitate to spend few bucks or with their cartel coins to get these stuff.

leviaron
11.28.2012 , 03:11 AM | #28
Basically everything in this thread is a call-to-arms over things that already existed in SWG. If you ALL wanted the customization of SWG, then you should have played it before SWTOR killed it.
The light follows no path: As the dark follows no one.

Erethrian
11.28.2012 , 03:21 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Scovina View Post
Well seeing as the game has instanced areas you are wrong about that. They could easily make a building not being used into an instanced home. If you wanted to invite people in you send them an invite just like in STO. No one can get onto your ship unless you allow it.
I agree, they could just do something similar to Lord of the Rings Online, where the neighborhoods are instanced.

thomasbaxter
11.29.2012 , 09:27 AM | #30
Guild ships?

I....freaking...love it!

Make it so!