Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Healing in PvP?

_Garog_
11.16.2012 , 11:02 AM | #1
Hello

So I came back to the game 3 days ago as a subscriber. I played the game before for about 2-3 months when it got released then stopped as my server died.

Anyway now Im back and I loved to heal on my merc healer with guns and all that and yes they were OP but the heat nerf made it more equal (annoying too). But what I wanna know are healers really bad in PvP atm? I seem to die extremly easy and have a hard time to keep ppl up compared how it used to be.

Though I wonder if its my gear and I should just continue to play or just roll an assa, mara or jugg for dps. I have full BM gear except for 4 items. Is the gap between BM and War Hero that big? I mean I dont think everyone run around in war hero as most ppl have 16-18k hp as I have 16k

Feels like I heal for WAY less than I used to

Lightning_
11.16.2012 , 11:09 AM | #2
Is your gear augmented? The gap between BM and WH is not THAT big (although against optimized WH it can be quite noticeable), but augments play a big role as well.

Also, are you the only healer in the group? Do you have a tank guarding you? Solo healer without guard is very easy to kill. But two healers with guard can take a lot of damage. Over 2 healers - and it becomes a healfest when neither team can kill each other.

So no, healing it still very strong in PvP.

_Garog_
11.16.2012 , 11:13 AM | #3
Nah I never have anyone guarding me. Ppl just pop up from stealth and do 4k+ 4k+ 4k+ crits all the time while stunned and you cant get back from that dmg. And no Im not agumented, dont really know how you do that. I know its something to do with like extra sockets or something in the gear, not sure.

Aerilas
11.16.2012 , 11:48 AM | #4
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=556308

healing is still very strong in this game. watch this vid.

It just takes a while to get the right skills and methods of healing
Vis Fatalis
Caineghis (Sniper)
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Jadescythe
11.16.2012 , 12:51 PM | #5
I suppose it depends on how long you were around. If you left before 1.2, healing has been nerfed significantly from that time, but is still fine (needed the nerf). Mercs are on the low end of healing compared to sorcs and ops though. You are also probably significantly undergeared if not in augmented gear and not up to war hero gear yet. It'll change when you have equal gear, but you can certainly be competitive, might just see some people hitting you pretty hard if they are min/maxed.
I have opinions and stuff

You could get free stuff with my referral link here

Banderal
11.16.2012 , 07:30 PM | #6
I think (keeping in mind I'm no expert on the numbers) that getting annihilated like that is not just about being healer. I think it's about someone or several someones who are (very) good deciding to focus on you. I also have "mostly BM", and I'm supposed to be a tank. If someone good pops out of stealth when my cool-downs are off I go down pretty fast (which might be because I suck ). Also which 4 pieces of BM you are missing might make a difference. If it's the chest, both hands and something like gloves, I think all those add significantly to your survivability.

That said, of course, since you are a healer you are a preferred target.

And about augmentation...

1. You need an "augmentation kit mk-6". A couple different skills can make them (forget exactly which ones). If you or a guildie (if you have one) can't make you some, you can find them on GTN. On POT5 they were running around 35K each I think when I bought a couple yesterday.

2. Then you want to pick an augmentation mod. Again, not sure who can make them, but the "blue" lvl 49 ones that I was going for were 2-9K-ish (if I remember right).

3. Once you have these things, this is the one modification you actually have to use the mod stations for. So head to a mod station. You have to un-equip whatever you want to augment. Use the station, put your gear in it. You have a drop down at the bottom of the screen where you can say to "add an augmentation slot". Pick the "mk-6" one and it should auto-use it from your inventory.

4. Once that's done, the aug slot is just like any other slot as far as putting in / taking out augmention mods.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I got any of that wrong.

robegan
11.16.2012 , 07:48 PM | #7
I PVP with an under-geared Sage Seer (about half Recruit half BM at the moment) and I find that I can still be a very productive member of the team. I occasionally get rolled by multiple elite WH Juggs smashing me for 7.5K back to back, but I usually heal for 200K on a bad WZ, and over 500K on a good one, and am usually the top healer. I've tried PVP with the same Sage as DPS, and see my pebbles bouncing off most WH equipped people with little or no damage taken. By comparison, I wind up being much more useful as a healer.
[Ewwepo - Jedi Sage][ Eira - Sith Sorcerer]
[Hagahooah - Vanguard][Galatha - Operative]
[Yudhisthira - Jedi Sentinel][Zahrathustra - Sith Assassin]

Dosan Legacy - Jedi Covenant