Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dread Guard Relic BiS?

Ephesia
11.29.2012 , 08:23 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
Why the proc relic (which only buffs absorb, not shield) and not the triggerable shield/absorb pve relic?

I'm thinking PvP Defense relic and triggerable PvE Defense relic for my Guardian.
The Absorb proc relic grants 113 Endurance as well as 455 Absorb Rating for 6 seconds every 20 seconds. It is a very useful relic, the clicky relic just adds one more button to mash to the already complicated guardian rotation and PVP Relic is better anyway. In some particular fights like Kephess Absorb Relic shines, while in fights with multitude of swaps like Toth Zorn or Firebrand Stormcaller (a lot of moving) a Static Defense PVP relic will be much better.

It is safe to say that BiS for Guardian Tank is to get 2 PVP Imperiling Serenity Relics and also get Dread Guard Shield Amplification relic for specific fights that are more static nevertheless hard hitting.
Ephesia, Level 55 Jedi Guardian
Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU)
Member of Catalyst

NaNoZmX
11.29.2012 , 11:42 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by nbayer View Post
See my post above about crit rating, it appears like elemental is for force users and internal is for tech. I'm not 100% sure, but you should take it into consideration before getting one relic over another.
As a Watchman Marauder i can affirm that Internal relic has around 15-20% crit chance, and elemental one has 40-42% crit chance, as I have 41% crit force buffed, i assume that your statement about force/tech users is correct.

So for force users BiS should be:
1. Dread Guard Elemental Proc Relic
2. Dread Guard Relic of Boundless Ages
Frog
S&V 16-HM 7/7 (11/04/13)
Eterna - Marauder / Zmx - Sorcerer - Darth Nihilus
Site

greg_biochem
11.29.2012 , 04:40 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by NaNoZmX View Post
As a Watchman Marauder i can affirm that Internal relic has around 15-20% crit chance, and elemental one has 40-42% crit chance, as I have 41% crit force buffed, i assume that your statement about force/tech users is correct.

So for force users BiS should be:
1. Dread Guard Elemental Proc Relic
So would I be correct in assuming that means for non-force users, ei. a Gunslinger, BiS would be:
1. Dread Guard Internal Proc Relic
Server: The Ebon Hawk
Red'october - Gunslinger

dipstik
11.29.2012 , 04:51 PM | #124
yes, except for specs that have 30%+ armor penetration, in which case you want to use the kinetic proc dmg relic

Mugen_no_Jidai
11.29.2012 , 08:41 PM | #125
Don't operations bosses have some sort of elemental resistance? If this is taken into account, (assuming that isn't the case for internal damage--I don't know?), is the elemental one still BIS for force users?

theblaznee
11.30.2012 , 02:35 AM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
Considering most of the bosses in the current tier of content do just that (either by having you swap aggro on a single major target between the 2 tanks or by swapping between 2 bosses that specialize in different types of damage dealt), I'd have to wonder why you think they're "bad" when they're actually a better to way to leverage increased survivability when you need it rather than having it up at all times, including those when it's not even useful, which amount to 40-50% of the time on the said bosses.

I've always found that I get better performance out of the tanking use relics than I do out of the passive relics on all 3 of my tanks, but I actually *use* them. If you're having a problem with any of the use relics, it's not a problem with the relic itself but the player's reticence to actually use said relic. It's like complaining that a survivability CD isn't strong enough because you don't use it often enough.
I don't really have a problem having a Relic to pop now and then, especially as a PT/VG tank - not much to click anyway. So which one is looking good for PT/VG's?
Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance or my kindness for weakness!

Fight hard, die well!

Kitru
11.30.2012 , 07:15 AM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by theblaznee View Post
So which one is looking good for PT/VG's?
It depends on the comparative levels of your Shield/Absorb to your Defense. If you've got lower Defense rating compared to your Shield/Absorb, you'll get more out of the Defense relics thanks to the Defense contributions getting hit by DR less (for most VG/PT tanks, this should be true). If the opposite is true (factoring in the proc relic you're probably already packing, which adds a *lot* of Absorb), then you'll want to use the Shield/Absorb one.

If you're actually looking for the best numerical contribution over time, however, your best bet is actually the Campaign Shield/Absorb relic since it's the highest rating use tank relic with a 30 sec duration (the Camp use Defense relic is 20 secs and both of the DG use relics are 20 secs as well).
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Furiel
11.30.2012 , 12:28 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by RyanTwoDeeTwo View Post
So what would be the best relics for a Combat Medic Commando now please? I currently use a War Hero Relic of Boundless Ages and a Matrix Cube.
Quote: Originally Posted by dipstik View Post
elite war hero (power) and on use power DG
What if the EWH is out of easy reach? My CM's valor level is 12, so grinding to 50 valor and getting all the comms is not a quick or simple task. So would the Matrix Cube, the DG heal proc relic or a different non-PVP relic I'm overlooking be the next best option?
Furiel Plush
Cardinal and Raid Coordinator of The Church of Alvis

nbayer
11.30.2012 , 12:37 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by Mugen_no_Jidai View Post
Don't operations bosses have some sort of elemental resistance? If this is taken into account, (assuming that isn't the case for internal damage--I don't know?), is the elemental one still BIS for force users?
elemental and internal are not resisted, that is why they proc for less but tend to be the bis for dps classes unless that class has high armor penetration, e.g. gunnery commandos.

Furiel
11.30.2012 , 01:24 PM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
Mending relics are only optimal for Shadow/Sin tanks.

They're quite terrible for healers. Stick with the Dread Guard and EWH Boundless Ages relics.
As a followup to the question I asked above, I'm trying figure out the why on this and I can only guess that it's the mechanics of it, but if someone could confirm this for me I'd appreciate it...

So the heal proc relics are bad for healers because they can proc on anyone they have a healing effect on, so the proc may go off on someone who doesn't need it then be down when it would be useful for the tank. And as such because the Shadow/Assassin heal is for themselves only as it procs off combat stance then when the relic procs it will only proc the heal on them, hence why it's such a large survivability upgrade for them. Is that correct or am I misunderstanding the mechanics of how the heal is assigned off that relic?
Furiel Plush
Cardinal and Raid Coordinator of The Church of Alvis