Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Would this work for a boss mechanic

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Would this work for a boss mechanic

Raekor
11.14.2012 , 10:58 PM | #1
For some reason, instead of doing my work, I was thinking about TFB and the portals in there. I was wondering, would this work as a bonus boss mechanic?

The bonus boss, some large beast or something, smashes something when you pull him that destabilises a portal and ropes him. If you die, you can run in, effectively zerging him (though you wouldn't want to), and a full wipe he wouldn't even reset. The downside, his "hard enrage" isn't an instakill the group like normal, but he gets sucked into the portal and you lose access to the loot during that lockout. Timer would need to be tight to reward people not zerging, but loose enough so that a death or two wouldn't stop you.

Or would that just be too difficult and annoy everybody as a fixed time to kill a boss penalises people with slower computers (and load times), and has too much interference from non-game related things like lag spikes/client crashes/dc's etc?

AshlaBoga
11.14.2012 , 11:01 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Raekor View Post
For some reason, instead of doing my work, I was thinking about TFB and the portals in there. I was wondering, would this work as a bonus boss mechanic?

The bonus boss, some large beast or something, smashes something when you pull him that destabilises a portal and ropes him. If you die, you can run in, effectively zerging him (though you wouldn't want to), and a full wipe he wouldn't even reset. The downside, his "hard enrage" isn't an instakill the group like normal, but he gets sucked into the portal and you lose access to the loot during that lockout. Timer would need to be tight to reward people not zerging, but loose enough so that a death or two wouldn't stop you.

Or would that just be too difficult and annoy everybody as a fixed time to kill a boss penalises people with slower computers (and load times), and has too much interference from non-game related things like lag spikes/client crashes/dc's etc?
I think that the bonus boss (or whatever is in the " “You feel a strange and chilling presence.”) is already programmed.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

Raekor
11.14.2012 , 11:03 PM | #3
I wasn't actually thinking about that particular part, just that portals opened up different mechanics to the usual fight a boss until it dies or it enrages and you die.