Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Perhaps Mercs Need a Jetboost ability?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Perhaps Mercs Need a Jetboost ability?

cashogy
11.14.2012 , 01:59 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroecon View Post
Just stop. They aren't going to make Tracer Missile and Power Shot insta cast abilities. They will do something minor. Like make Jet Boost, when triggered, remove any movement impairing debuffs on you. Similar to how Sorc's sprint ability works. They don't want Mercs to do more damage. They want Mercs to spend more time running away.
INSTANT CAST WOULD NOT MAKE MERC DO MORE DAMAGE

i really do not understand what is so hard to comprehend about that. making an ability instant cast does not suddenly increase the amount of damage it can do. and because both TM and PS have 1.5s cast times (the same as one GCD) you will not be able to use the skill any more frequently than you can now.

the only thing that instant cast would change is that Merc would be able to compete by maintaining DPS while mobile. apparently a large part of the community thinks thats a bad thing...............

Jenzali
11.14.2012 , 02:17 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
INSTANT CAST WOULD NOT MAKE MERC DO MORE DAMAGE
Yes it would, because it wouldn't be interrupted.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

cashogy
11.14.2012 , 02:17 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenzali View Post
Yes it would, because it wouldn't be interrupted.
/facepalm

please tell me you are not being serious.................

Xerain
11.14.2012 , 02:22 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
and tell me how that would make us OP?

we wouldnt gain any actual damage output. the only difference would be that when fleeing for our lives from a mara/pt/assassin we would actual be able to put up a fight.

right now, if a melee/hybrid melee enemy decides they want to kill me, there is not a lot i can do to stop them. i can try to run away and pull them out of the fight, but if they dont make several major mistakes i will die.
Why don't you go level a Rogue in RIFT to max level then play Marksman Spec. You get an ability called Hit and Run that made all your casted abilities now instant. Marks spec had a low CD hit that would do like fully buffed HSM damage on a really low cd, enough to get two off with Hit and Run up.

Sooo imagine someone who knows how to effectively jump kite playing a ranged class like that... Yeah it's stupid op'ed Not only did Marks Rogue beat anything 1v1 with that ability, now imaginve Merc/Mando gets it 100% of the time.

Nassik
11.14.2012 , 02:43 AM | #35
Cash is correct. An instant cast tracer missile would do no more damage than it already does...

"Launches a missile at the target that deals 670 kinetic damage and applies a heat signature, reducing the armor rating by 4% for 15 seconds. Stacks up to 5 times. Heat signatures leave the target vulnerable to Rail Shot."

The only difference is that it fires instantly and can not be interrupted. 670 kinetic damage is 670 kinetic damage no matter if it's cast or instant.

Unless it's being said that Tracer is supposed to be interrupted, that it's intended to be interrupted at all times, in which case it's a measure put in place to limit bounty hunter dps. If so, that suggests that it's an intentional gimp on the class to limit its dps across the board.

Keeping tracer missile as a cast ability then suggests that the bounty hunter class is never supposed to deal out its maximum possible dps.
July 21st 2011.. The Dark Day Bioware pissed on Australia with a little yellow paragraph.

I used to be part of the Community, now I'm just Australian

Tyrias
11.14.2012 , 03:11 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Nassik View Post
Cash is correct. An instant cast tracer missile would do no more damage than it already does...

"Launches a missile at the target that deals 670 kinetic damage and applies a heat signature, reducing the armor rating by 4% for 15 seconds. Stacks up to 5 times. Heat signatures leave the target vulnerable to Rail Shot."

The only difference is that it fires instantly and can not be interrupted. 670 kinetic damage is 670 kinetic damage no matter if it's cast or instant.

Unless it's being said that Tracer is supposed to be interrupted, that it's intended to be interrupted at all times, in which case it's a measure put in place to limit bounty hunter dps. If so, that suggests that it's an intentional gimp on the class to limit its dps across the board.

Keeping tracer missile as a cast ability then suggests that the bounty hunter class is never supposed to deal out its maximum possible dps.
While you are quite correct in that Tracer Missle/Grav round wouldn't do more damage if it was instant, it would still be hugely game changing. Being able to dish out some pretty steady DPS while kiting, and building procs to do more DPS isn't really what "kiting" is. At least, that's the way it seems to play out in SWTOR.

I have played Merc (and admittely, didn't find it fun enough to carry on with after hitting 50 and playing around a bit), but most of my experience is with Sage, the archetypal Kiting class here. While kiting, we lose a fair portion of our DPS because we are moving, but in return it reduces incoming DPS. If we were even able to throw around disturbance while kiting (Low power cost, no cooldown, mediocre damage), there would be a lot of "Nerf Sage/Sorc" threads, because we could build procs off of it and not have to rely on the very costly Project to be continuing damage.

I believe that is why Tracer Missile won't ever become instant. It's not that it's supposed to be interrupted, it's that it's supposed to keep you static to be building procs and dealing damage.

Of course, I do feel sorry for dedicated Commando/Merc players. Gunslingers/Snipers are the turrets and have the tools to do that, Sages/Sorcs are the Kiting class and have the tools to do that (less one defensive cooldown). Commando/Mercs are stuck in a middle ground that doesn't really work, but because they want classes to seem unique, Bioware don't really know what to do with your class to make it better without making it more like one or the other.

TBH, the Backwards leap is the best (most likely) suggestion in this thread. Or maybe a self-buff that lasts 30s, Cooldown 1m, and the next person to leap to you receives an automatic and substantial (20m+) knockback for his trouble.
"If you've got a problem, stick a worm in it".

Dacer
11.14.2012 , 08:02 AM | #37
It amazes me that some ppl here think that if you keep the same damage on abilities and make them instant instead of channeled/casted it wouldnt increase the damage output of a player.

You would be increasing the dps of it by 25% because you wouldn't have a 2 second cast it would just be a GCD

Plus merc would be unstoppable in building up all their procs/buffs - Yea that might sound all OMGTHATWOULDBEAWESOME. But that seriously unbalances the way the class works.

If Tracer would become instant - the whole tree/ class would have to be reworked.

But the point of the thread is to talk about Escape abiliies for Merc.... So /Dicuss

Technohic
11.14.2012 , 08:04 AM | #38
It wouldn't create more damage due to globals; but being able to run all the time is probably not going to happen. It seems to me that they want ranged classes to at least have to stop for something and not be able to kite all day without sacrificing one of your main abilities.

Nassik
11.14.2012 , 08:39 AM | #39
I understand the increased dps argument. It's basically that, as an instant cast ability, it can be used more often. Therefor, your dps increases. Bear in mind that tracer missile still costs heat, though, so bounty hunters couldn't spam it endlessly. And it's not one of the bounty hunter's hardest hitting abilities. The bounty hunter isn't known as a remarkable or even noteworthy dps class, though, so the fear of them becoming dps terrors seems a bit far-fetched.

Even with an instant cast tracer missile, our big hits would still be cast abilities so we'd still have to stand still to get off any attack with substantial power (thus utilizing those tracer missile heat stacks).

the jet pack suggestion still seems a worthwhile idea... an instant cast backwards launch of 25-30 meters to escape Force leap range. Pair it with a simultaneous Rapid shots, and give it a cool down.
July 21st 2011.. The Dark Day Bioware pissed on Australia with a little yellow paragraph.

I used to be part of the Community, now I'm just Australian

truchaos
11.14.2012 , 08:59 AM | #40
I would far, far perfer a forward jump/teleport or a templated/targeted jump ability than a backwards self-punt.

I get backwards punted enough by juggs/guardians pushing me around or sorcs/sages force waves, as well as I would think a backwards leap would be a lot harder to negotiate the maps when you are strafe kiting/pillar dodging.
Blood for the Blood God.