Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why can't the player play as a Gray Jedi/Sith

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why can't the player play as a Gray Jedi/Sith

GavinPatterson
11.09.2012 , 12:10 PM | #1
Why not? I mean we can - but relic's later on are something that we miss out on. Some objects such as weapons depend on a certain force alignment. I usually end up playing right between the lightside and darkside, and suffer for it.
Any plans to bring this into the game?

Just something to read if your interested and would like to know more.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gray_Jedi
Barsen'thor; Jedi Master, Council member, mender of the rift and master of hidden knowledge

monkgryphon
11.09.2012 , 12:16 PM | #2
Watch it turn out to be a Cartel account option you can purchase :P

Wolfninjajedi
11.09.2012 , 12:18 PM | #3
Because Gray Jedi don't really exist, your still following the Order your just doing it in a way that isn't the normal.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Andryah
11.09.2012 , 12:24 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Because Gray Jedi don't really exist, your still following the Order your just doing it in a way that isn't the normal.
Yep.

Gray has many shades to it..... whereas force users are all about making clear choices and giving Allegiances. It's been clear since Luke met Yoda that when pursuing force training... a point comes where you must make a choice in the force.

So Gray force user is an oxymoron IMO.

That said.. setting aside the lore context.... it's a game... so there should be bending of the lore to please some of the diversity desires of the players.
Judgments are often inaccurate because the brain relies on cognitive biases over hard evidence. Cognitive bias is the tendency to make irrational judgments in consistent patterns. Researchers have found that cognitive bias wreaks havoc by forcing people to make poor, irrational judgments.

HoloTweed
11.09.2012 , 12:27 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Perhaps... but expanding the concept a bit, the lack of "gray" options for characters (which we were told back at launch were underway) seriously gimps a large percentage of smugglers/agents and bounty hunters/troopers who don't see the world (for the most part) as just black or white. It's pretty unfair to be penalized for playing a character IN character instead of artificially making Light or Dark decisions just to get a relic.

TUXs
11.09.2012 , 12:28 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Yep.

Gray has many shades to it.....
Would you say it has more or less than fifty?
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Archnoph
11.09.2012 , 12:28 PM | #7
Because "gray" is not a color.
Refugee from Bria
Beta Tester
CE VIP

armphid
11.09.2012 , 12:29 PM | #8
It seems to me from reading the link there that playing a Gray Jedi is more along the lines of a role playing character choice than a rules/game play element. All of my Jedi characters have some Dark Side points for one reason or another, and in conversations with the various Masters I don't always agree with them, but I don't see how that makes me "gray" as much as a different kind of Light Side.

I think a bit part of it is the basis of KOTOR I and II. While certain characters would express a Gray mentality, the games systems rewarded extremes more. Since those were the basis for TOR, I'd assume that theme carried through.

One thing you might want to consider as a way to keep to a fully neutral position and still access relics would be use the Diplomacy Crew Skill to earn whichever way you wanted to go for relics and allow your conversation options to be whatever you wanted.
"It's a shallow life that leaves few scars." -- Garrison Keillor

CelCawdro
11.09.2012 , 12:30 PM | #9
Gray Jedi has a very specific meaning in the lore (ie. a Force-user or former Jedi that, for whatever reason, does not belong to the Order, or at the very least, is in constant conflict with them while remaining a part) - I think you meant "neutral," and if that is what you meant, this complaint has merit. We've been told that neutral gear is just around the corner since beta, but itemization seems to be gravitating away from alignment as a whole.

JimG
11.09.2012 , 12:42 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by GavinPatterson View Post
Any plans to bring this into the game?
Yes, they've said previously on several occasions that they plan to bring this into the game. However, they've gone away from LS/DS restrictions with gear and seem to be phasing out those restrictions somewhat. So it looks like it will be awhile before they add neutral bonuses for relics, etc.