Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Is there an expansion to be released before winter 2013 for this game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is there an expansion to be released before winter 2013 for this game?

errant_knight's Avatar


errant_knight
11.09.2012 , 10:56 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by gonzologer View Post
I'm trying to hold out till Elder Scrolls online. Have they said anything about an expansion for TOR? I'm getting kinda bored.
Have you played all the stories? Tried repeating a story making different choices? Got involved with in-depth rp where you create your own story and missions? There's lots to do without an expansion and each story offers something different, not only in terms of combat, but in content.

Bojangle's Avatar


Bojangle
11.09.2012 , 11:01 AM | #22
We don't know "everything" that will be going in it if it is an expansion. For all we know it is one planet and a couple other things. Well if they charge they could be adding a tons more stuff in it also.

So jumping to conclusions, let's just wait until they give us more info on this and if they say it will be a charged expansion, let's wait and see what exactly will all be in it before assuming. For all we know the new space could be in it also yet they are keeping that part hush hush. We simply don't know yet.
(•)≡ǁ/////ǁ(₪)ǁǁ[██████████████████████████████)

Lord_Ravenhurst's Avatar


Lord_Ravenhurst
11.09.2012 , 11:14 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by AlienEyeTX View Post
So, basically, it has to be a whole new game for you to pay for it? Be realistic, please.
Come on, you know the first step would be to bring it on par with the features SWG had before it was shut down.
That requires an expansion.
This is perfectly realistic, this is the Star Wars IP and the most expensive game of all times,
therefore i expect it to kick ***

CelCawdro's Avatar


CelCawdro
11.09.2012 , 11:16 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post
Come on, you know the first step would be to bring it on par with the features SWG had before it was shut down.
That requires an expansion.
This is perfectly realistic, this is the Star Wars IP and the most expensive game of all times,
therefore i expect it to kick ***
So... content so dull and boring that the developers actively promote botting to get you through the grind? No thanks. The only things SW:G had going for it were community and, to a lesser degree, crafting. Everything else is just slathered in nostalgia.

Lord_Ravenhurst's Avatar


Lord_Ravenhurst
11.09.2012 , 11:22 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
So... content so dull and boring that the developers actively promote botting to get you through the grind? No thanks. The only things SW:G had going for it were community and, to a lesser degree, crafting. Everything else is just slathered in nostalgia.
how about pointing out the positives I was clearly refering to?
The one thing that is dull and boring compared to SWG are the exhaustion zone littered corridor planets in TOR and absolutely NO sense of open world. Also missing space sim, missing housing, missing ship customization, missing day/night/weather change, no atmospheric flight, no meaningful crafting.

btw, the click x kill x quests in TOR are no better than in SWG, with the only bonus of having voiceovers.

AlienEyeTX's Avatar


AlienEyeTX
11.09.2012 , 11:25 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post
how about pointing out the positives I was clearly refering to?
The one thing that is dull and boring compared to SWG are the exhaustion zone littered corridor planets in TOR and absolutely NO sense of open world. Also missing space sim, missing housing, missing ship customization, missing day/night/weather change, no atmospheric flight, no meaningful crafting.

btw, the click x kill x quests in TOR are no better than in SWG, with the only bonus of having voiceovers.
I think a lot of the ideas were fine. But, you are asking for a whole new game to plop on top of the current game. A more reasonable expectation for expansion is a new planet, new race, 5-10 levels, and more story. That is worth paying for, IMO.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric

CelCawdro's Avatar


CelCawdro
11.09.2012 , 11:26 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post
how about pointing out the positives I was clearly refering to?
The one thing that is dull and boring compared to SWG are the exhaustion zone littered corridor planets in TOR and absolutely NO sense of open world. Also missing space sim, missing housing, missing ship customization, missing day/night/weather change, no atmospheric flight, no meaningful crafting.

btw, the click x kill x quests in TOR are no better than in SWG, with the only bonus of having voiceovers.
You erred when you decided that these things are "missing." I don't necessarily disagree with what you're asking for, but you view these additional features as things that are needed to make the game "complete." That view is problematic when you attempt to draw attention to these features, as it is inherently combative. It makes discussion difficult, to say the least.

Lord_Ravenhurst's Avatar


Lord_Ravenhurst
11.09.2012 , 11:31 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by AlienEyeTX View Post
I think a lot of the ideas were fine. But, you are asking for a whole new game to plop on top of the current game. A more reasonable expectation for expansion is a new planet, new race, 5-10 levels, and more story. That is worth paying for, IMO.
Sounds to me like more of the same. Wouldn't be excited about that.
But it's not a big deal, 18 days left on my account, that will get me some coins and I will switch to freebie mode until they add the above mentioned stuff.

KnighteStar's Avatar


KnighteStar
11.09.2012 , 11:34 AM | #29
So, I was wondering what you guys thought about this issue. With Free To Play coming along, I fear that the game will move from expansions to simple DLC Packs adding a few things (like end-game content) instead of moving forward with an Expansion. I hope that an Expansion comes because I truly do believe that SWTOR can compete in an MMO market dominated by games that have been around much longer (like WoW). But, what do you guys think is more probable for the game?
Check out some cool gameplay vids here.
Character: Dârman, Level 13 Commando
Server: Jedi Covenant

CelCawdro's Avatar


CelCawdro
11.09.2012 , 11:36 AM | #30
Considering that full-fledged expansions are one of the main sources of revenue for Free-to-Play games (as they are a widely accepted "necessary" purchase that will be consumed by nearly everyone who reaches the point at which it becomes relevant), I'd say your fears are completely unfounded.