Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Zandilar
11.07.2012 , 07:57 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by AceMcVeer View Post
Each PAID month. Your first month was free. You also probably got the free month for being level 50 or having legacy level 6 or whatever it was. If you upgraded to Collector's that's another free month. So you have to subtract up to three free months.
Hmm, just the fact it added up to March made me suspicious, but I shouldn't have been, so it seems. Thanks for clearing that up.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

ChrisMattar
11.07.2012 , 08:19 PM | #42
No but I see the flaws in your thinking process.
Why would anyone leave the game at 50 if they liked it, logic says they would want to sub to experience endgame content and get all the advantages of being a subscriber. IF they didn't like it, then they may even leave at level 20'. They'll stay for the same reason you did.
And preferred status is not a slightly degraded version it is a much degraded version.
Personally? I'll pay 15$ a month because it is the most ridiculously cheap price for a month of entertainment I have ever seen. It's the cost of a 2hour movie ticket or a valet tip ffs.

Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
What is to stop people from leaving after level 50?

This addage applies here: "If you are giving the milk away for free, why would they buy the cow?"

So basically everyone that ever had an account will be Preffered Status and anyone who ONLY pays the minimum of ~$5 US. FOREVER? It is not stipulated. If one only has to pay for a slightly degraded subscription for a one time fee of ~$5 US. Why would they ever subscribe?

Anyone else see the flaws in this plan?

Macheath
11.07.2012 , 08:42 PM | #43
...Also, there will be a wealth of equipment that will be fully moddable...

Even the devs are saying, "Moddable," now.

-Macheath.
Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Kualan
11.07.2012 , 08:51 PM | #44
I wonder when we'll get a chance to see this armour in action:

http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/f...ld_854x480.jpg
Stannis - Jedi Guardian - Level 50 : Sarella - Imperial Sniper - Level 50
Kastrofa - Gunslinger - Level 50 : V'lorn - Sith Juggernaut - Level 50
Nyna - Jedi Sentinel - Level 50 : Melondi - Jedi Shadow - Level 50
Tremarck - Imperial Operative - Level 50 : Kualan - Republic Vanguard - Level 22

uaintjak
11.07.2012 , 08:54 PM | #45
So...the announcement was written weeks ago...and you're just now posting it...

Did you have to send it to your EA Overlords and let them make sure that no new information was presented before they approved it?

Seriously. You guys have a SERIOUS communication problem [and after promising (twice) to fix it].

I'm sorry if this sounds overly cynical, but I truly do not understand the thought process that's occuring here.

_Zhatan_
11.07.2012 , 09:22 PM | #46
Look is the Carpatia!

Sadly is too late for the 90% of the crew...

A minute of silence for the promising SWTOR who rest in peace in the deeps of the Free to Play tomb. Where "the not so good to pay for" games goes to die.
SWG----------------- 8 years played, 7 active accounts at June 2011.
SWTOR------------- 6 months played. BACK ONLY FOR PATCHS .

BW...Something is failing here, don't you think?

Boyana
11.07.2012 , 09:23 PM | #47
Let me yell:
GIVE US AN OPTION TO BUY APARTMENT AND DECORATIONS FOR IT AND OUR SHIPS!

Hehe, really. Put that into CC (furniture, colors, etc...) and win/win for all XD!

alexzk
11.07.2012 , 09:46 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Joajoa View Post
Right now I'm content to subscribe to TOR,regardless of the decrease in playerbase or the fact I could later play for free.I know the gameplay drops after hitting 50,I'm aware of the many,many flaws in the game--and I don't mind continuing to pay my $15 a month.For me,personally, I enjoy playing a story-based MMO with a low time sink and instanced pvp.I've played dozens of other MMO's,for now I'm content to stay.

Having said that,the Free-to-Play format that Bioware is adopting is a complete disaster.Going from level 1-50 with the class story line is the best part of the game,and that part is free.New Players will play the game till 50 then leave...this won't help the population at all.We will get a huge boost at first,which will quickly die out once F2P players go through the PVE content.

The time and effort that Bioware is putting into F2P is wasted--because it doesn't address the main reason ppl leave this game...the "After 50" slump.
You;re wrong. I think pre-50 is time wasting I buy all exp perks for my chars to speed-up. Because I enjoy to play with build/armor combinations when I have all avail skill points. And most I do is trying some new build.
There is no ignorance - there is knowledge.

Nachtzeit
11.07.2012 , 09:46 PM | #49
Well, I'd love to say that I plan to remain a happy and loyal paid subscriber...but I'm already less than happy with the endgame. That aside, I haven't given up yet! I just have a couple things on which to comment.

First, the endgame! I have to say I've grown tired of the PvP battlegrounds, and the rewards just aren't worth the grind to complete for me...I got my sweet-looking War Hero Force-Master Hat, and I rather like flowing red robes, so why switch to creepy green vines? (Plus Battlemaster's robes make the hat red!) I'd switch to operations, but I dislike pugs, and my guild has imploded due to my friends having less patience than I for something new. (Even my wife is ready to give up on the game...and I left WoW before she did!) I would only ask for a reason to log into the game again that doesn't involve purchases or grinds.

Second, even after my fellow players resolved my initial concerns about the Preferred Status--namely that it is for former subscribers, not active ones--I still find it difficult to believe that BioWare is comfortable giving equal favor to someone who invested up to $250 (or more with CE) and someone who buys a hat once.

Please, show the appreciation for your fan base. My humble suggestion: 4 levels of player--

1. Active subscribers - full recognition and perks
2. Former subscribers - a level of recognition below active, like "Retired" or "Veteran", that is above the folks who just started and paid 5 bucks.
3. Paying F2Pers - a bump up from the freebs..."Preferred" works fine for me
4. F2P-only - the folks who haven't decided to invest more than the time to download the game.

Hopefully the devs check back and see this, and at least give it due consideration. Thanks.

Very Respectfully,
Galaeron

PS: Please give us more cowls or hoods! Creepy masks are great and all, but nothing beats a good shadowy hood...

Nachtzeit
11.07.2012 , 09:49 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Boyana View Post
Let me yell:
GIVE US AN OPTION TO BUY APARTMENT AND DECORATIONS FOR IT AND OUR SHIPS!

Hehe, really. Put that into CC (furniture, colors, etc...) and win/win for all XD!

Actually, let guilds have their own capital ship as a guild base...for THAT I'd stick around!