Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Master Strike and the missing last hit.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Master Strike and the missing last hit.

GeckoOBac
11.03.2012 , 06:46 PM | #1
I recently brought my guardian to 50, and he's vigilance spec so I'm using Master Strike a lot.

Now, after 1.4.3 (though it's possible it happened earlier as well as I wasn't fully specced yet), I started noticing Master strike not finishing the channel correctly, meaning only the first two hits connect, the third one just disappears... No dodges/misses, no absorbs, nothing. At first I thought it was a problem with the in-game text not showing a dodge or something, then I actually started looking at parses and what happens is this:

Spoiler

As you can see I stopped hitting anything after starting Master Strike to avoid, due to lag, clipping the end of the channel. The next skill use is 6 seconds after the start of master strike, which should be plenty of time to complete the channel even in a high lag environment.

The last hit simply disappears in the nothingness. It seems lag related since it doesn't happen always and it seems to happen much more often if I'm experiencing lag spikes of some kind. Still, it's not only a logging issue since the npcs don't get hit by any damage.

For reference, here's the unparsed log regarding those 6 seconds

Spoiler

I don't see any misses/dodges or anything out of the ordinary here so I suppose there's some kind of bug in action. I posted here first to get some material and opinions. Unfortunately the issue is quite random, and unless you're killing normal/silver mobs it's difficult to notice.

Taiketo
11.03.2012 , 07:10 PM | #2
I notice this quite frequently when I'm banging on dummies.

Always wondered if it was a visual error or otherwise.

Altheran
11.04.2012 , 02:04 PM | #3
It looks like a serious concern that should looked into. I haven't played my Knight since weeks but maybe I should log on it to see if I experience the same problem.

Undeadcenturion
11.04.2012 , 05:52 PM | #4
I am also having this issue on all 3 of my Guardians and my 2 Juggs. All lvl 50 .. and all have this happen on the last hit. I am also noticing that after I use Force Push in and only in PvP, enemies seem to have gone nowhere and are right back on top of me. They have little to non on their resolve bar so it's not that. And the classes that they are have no instant back to me skill.
Rah-El Guardian Vadicus-El Jugg
Yorr-El Sentinel

GeckoOBac
11.04.2012 , 06:59 PM | #5
The issue you're seeing about force push may be a lot of different things, BUT, I do have to say I've been having issues with skills not firing correctly, so it may still be related.

GeckoOBac
11.17.2012 , 04:03 AM | #6
Given the recent continuous lag spikes due to the influx of players, this issue is becoming more and more annoying. It's of course lag in general, but this issue is unique to Master Strike apparently, I haven't noticed it happening to other channels and due to the asymmetric nature of Master Strike's damage distribution, it's particularly damaging for knight, especially Vigilance Guardians.

Bump this and help to get the issue noticed. If you've got anything new to add, do it!

[Edit: just a clarification: I've been watching close my connection during these last days, and the action skills lag and the master strike bug all happen even when my ping is at 60ish ms (which is the norm), or in relatively uncrowded areas. This means it's the server struggling, not my connection]

Elear
11.17.2012 , 05:04 AM | #7
Interesting. I(as Sent) loosely looked for signs of this in my logs from ops yesterday, and it all seemed fine(only occurence when it didn't register final hit whan when I or boss had to move).
But due to lag mention, I remembered I tried(and failed) to do proper parse on fleet dummy, but couldn't due to extreme ability lag and skills not activating. So in 3 short parses I used MS 5 times total, and two of those didn't have final strikes, or message that MS was interrupted.
On anoter ops, on tuesday(day issue was introduced), during EC our tank had constant lag issues, and I also found in those boss fights few Master Strikes that got cut for no reason. In later KP, I found only one occurence of this bug, so it's quite possible that it's related to amount of people in given instance.

There is also possibility that bug is only visual. You activate skill, message is sent to server, server plays action and sends back feedback, based on feedback flying numbers and combat logs are generated, but due to heavy load some feedback is lost, while damage still happens. It should be possible to test this theory if you have reliable way to reproduce ths bug: do short parse on dummy with bug occuring, take few more Strikes/Slashes for a good measure, make sure they all landed, quickly note health of dummy(or make screenshot) and calculate how much damage should be done to it, then check if it fits with amount combat log is giving.

jlimp
11.17.2012 , 07:43 AM | #8
I have noticed the same thing as well. I think it just started in the last couple days. Update 1.5 bug?

AngusFTW
11.17.2012 , 07:52 AM | #9
yea this bug has always existed but i've noticed it more since 1.5 on both my sent and my mara.
Tomb of Freedon Nadd
55s.
Bleezar, Bleezár. Bleezlórd. Bleezard. Bleezford, Bleeznaut, Bleezfatt,
Lowbies
Bleezbian, Bleezguard, Bleezdian

vid
twitch

BattleGracefully
11.19.2012 , 02:49 PM | #10
here all this time i thought i was tripping but it turns out this is actualy happening
Keiga - Guardian
Licani - Sentinel
Millianna - Vanguard