Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What a "DPS" Sorcerer Really is in PvP now days

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
What a "DPS" Sorcerer Really is in PvP now days

Zergnaut's Avatar


Zergnaut
11.03.2012 , 01:16 AM | #1
Let me just start out by saying this if you are playing the sorcerer class for DPS you're playing the wrong class. Many Sorcerer's think they're actually DPS. The truth is we are not. We are a tide turner. The utility class of the battlefield.

A good example of this would be if you ever played World of Warcraft it is much similar to a frost mage back in wrath of the Litch king. Although the frost mage could kill people in battlegrounds the frost mage was there for CC, to control the battlefield with Novas and ring of frost not to kill people. A "dps" Sorcerer performes this very same function. I play full madness. Mainly for CT it is a CC that is very hard to ignore in most situations.

For example recently we were in Alderan WZ it was a very competitive game and a lot of fun. One thing that turned the tide for us is someone was about ready to cap a post, all my CC but CT was down. I was busy fighting his budys. I used CT before he could get close enough to cap. That tiny hold was the game changer. The hold was just long enough for backup to arrive and stop him in his buddies from capping the post. We won the game due to this. In high rated war zones a few econds is all you need to change the game. I just really enjoyed being that type of utility to my team.

Like I said above, I have literally changed the game for us in rated battlegrounds more times than I can count just do to my CC. In my honest opinion if you play a sorcerer more like this treating it more like a utility class rather than DPS you can very well be the most useful tool in the shed. In rated war zones my character is known for my CC and hated so much that people literally seek me out and focus fire me more than our healers lol.

Most people in high rated war zones know my sorcerer and hunt me down like a dog due this. I am enjoying being the utility guy the middleman who changes the game for my team.
Sith Warrior (Juggernaut) Sith Inquisitor (Sorcerer)

The Sith Always Return. Darkness is necessary for there to be light .

SoonerJBD's Avatar


SoonerJBD
11.03.2012 , 01:50 AM | #2
I am one of those people who completely dismisses the idea of "pure" DPS classes in PvE, but for PvP I agree that utility is more valuable. I had this exact same experience on Voidstar today. Kept the other team from capping by using Creeping Terror with one second left on the other guy's channel for placing the bomb. No one else was close enough to stop him.

In PvE, most of the utility we have doesn't really translate. Off healing in most ops is a really bad idea as it usually hurts your team by gimping DPS more than the heal helps. The Marauder's bloodthirst is at least as valuable if not more than anything a DPS Sorc can bring. But in PvP, all those little snares and pulls and cc's really can make a difference, as does the ability to off heal.

Zergnaut's Avatar


Zergnaut
11.03.2012 , 03:47 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
I am one of those people who completely dismisses the idea of "pure" DPS classes in PvE, but for PvP I agree that utility is more valuable. I had this exact same experience on Voidstar today. Kept the other team from capping by using Creeping Terror with one second left on the other guy's channel for placing the bomb. No one else was close enough to stop him.

In PvE, most of the utility we have doesn't really translate. Off healing in most ops is a really bad idea as it usually hurts your team by gimping DPS more than the heal helps. The Marauder's bloodthirst is at least as valuable if not more than anything a DPS Sorc can bring. But in PvP, all those little snares and pulls and cc's really can make a difference, as does the ability to off heal.
Yeah for pve I go lightning/madness spec. A lot of people take me over a jugger due to the fact that I can see CC a lot of of targets with improved whirlwind
Sith Warrior (Juggernaut) Sith Inquisitor (Sorcerer)

The Sith Always Return. Darkness is necessary for there to be light .

filipesantana's Avatar


filipesantana
11.04.2012 , 02:53 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Zergnaut View Post
Let me just start out by saying this if you are playing the sorcerer class for DPS you're playing the wrong class. Many Sorcerer's think they're actually DPS. The truth is we are not. We are a tide turner. The utility class of the battlefield.

A good example of this would be if you ever played World of Warcraft it is much similar to a frost mage back in wrath of the Litch king. Although the frost mage could kill people in battlegrounds the frost mage was there for CC, to control the battlefield with Novas and ring of frost not to kill people. A "dps" Sorcerer performes this very same function. I play full madness. Mainly for CT it is a CC that is very hard to ignore in most situations.

For example recently we were in Alderan WZ it was a very competitive game and a lot of fun. One thing that turned the tide for us is someone was about ready to cap a post, all my CC but CT was down. I was busy fighting his budys. I used CT before he could get close enough to cap. That tiny hold was the game changer. The hold was just long enough for backup to arrive and stop him in his buddies from capping the post. We won the game due to this. In high rated war zones a few econds is all you need to change the game. I just really enjoyed being that type of utility to my team.

Like I said above, I have literally changed the game for us in rated battlegrounds more times than I can count just do to my CC. In my honest opinion if you play a sorcerer more like this treating it more like a utility class rather than DPS you can very well be the most useful tool in the shed. In rated war zones my character is known for my CC and hated so much that people literally seek me out and focus fire me more than our healers lol.

Most people in high rated war zones know my sorcerer and hunt me down like a dog due this. I am enjoying being the utility guy the middleman who changes the game for my team.

i kinda agree with you..but you terrible exaple with frost mages makes me doubt how much you actualy know about pvp...

1-ring of frost=cata

2-frost amges were allways and still are one of the strongest most bursty classes...aded theyre snares+mobility they are one of the best DPS classes...as they ahve been for msot of wow pvp story...

Trimexxx's Avatar


Trimexxx
11.06.2012 , 12:25 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Zergnaut View Post
Let me just start out by saying this if you are playing the sorcerer class for DPS you're playing the wrong class. Many Sorcerer's think they're actually DPS. The truth is we are not. We are a tide turner. The utility class of the battlefield.

A good example of this would be if you ever played World of Warcraft it is much similar to a frost mage back in wrath of the Litch king. Although the frost mage could kill people in battlegrounds the frost mage was there for CC, to control the battlefield with Novas and ring of frost not to kill people. A "dps" Sorcerer performes this very same function. I play full madness. Mainly for CT it is a CC that is very hard to ignore in most situations.

For example recently we were in Alderan WZ it was a very competitive game and a lot of fun. One thing that turned the tide for us is someone was about ready to cap a post, all my CC but CT was down. I was busy fighting his budys. I used CT before he could get close enough to cap. That tiny hold was the game changer. The hold was just long enough for backup to arrive and stop him in his buddies from capping the post. We won the game due to this. In high rated war zones a few econds is all you need to change the game. I just really enjoyed being that type of utility to my team.

Like I said above, I have literally changed the game for us in rated battlegrounds more times than I can count just do to my CC. In my honest opinion if you play a sorcerer more like this treating it more like a utility class rather than DPS you can very well be the most useful tool in the shed. In rated war zones my character is known for my CC and hated so much that people literally seek me out and focus fire me more than our healers lol.

Most people in high rated war zones know my sorcerer and hunt me down like a dog due this. I am enjoying being the utility guy the middleman who changes the game for my team.

Okay, you go ahead and enjoy playing your awesome sidekick class. I think this is the most useless post I've seen today.
Mundý - Powertech
From Beyond
Dragonslayer
Eternal Warrior
Gate Crasher
Dread Master

Vladnar's Avatar


Vladnar
11.12.2012 , 01:55 PM | #6
Sorcerers ARE the Empire
The time of the Empire is now truly upon us

PowerWagonKevin's Avatar


PowerWagonKevin
11.13.2012 , 08:03 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Trimexxx View Post
Okay, you go ahead and enjoy playing your awesome sidekick class. I think this is the most useless post I've seen today.
No, actually your post is the most useless of all time.
The Fail is Epic in this one.

Xeraz's Avatar


Xeraz
11.13.2012 , 04:25 PM | #8
This is correct. Generally Sorcs are used for utility/control. Which is why I use the Lightning/Madness hybrid and I think it's fantastic.

This is mostly because we just can't compare with some of the other classes dps. If our damage gets buffed a little or some of the other classes get tuned down we could easily be on par.
"Who I am is not important, my message is."

CephalicRex's Avatar


CephalicRex
11.16.2012 , 06:39 PM | #9
Sorcs were designed to shoot lightning and inflict damage and are appropriately labled and identified as a DPS class by BioWare.

You, among may other players just choose to play them for utility because you can't DPS.

MidichIorian's Avatar


MidichIorian
11.16.2012 , 09:08 PM | #10
No one refered to them as "utility" 10 months ago.