Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

50 PvP - Different Queue For Casual Players?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
50 PvP - Different Queue For Casual Players?

arunav
11.01.2012 , 06:22 PM | #1
There are many folks who enjoy the WZs in SWTOR but lose interest when they reach 50. On an alt, for example, because of the tremendous gear grind involved to be on an even playing field, it can be frustrating.

Would it be possible to implement a more casual PvP queue at 50?

For example, one that does not use expertise and has a function to bring various PVE tier gears to approximately the same level, as leveling PvP is done?

The 10-49 experience is so much fun, because there isn't a terrible gear gap to overcome. In order to be even remotely competitive at 50 right now, you need to get full Battlemaster and augment everything, only to have the need to get War Hero and put it into gear you'd actually want to wear (for many classes) and augment this gear. Then comes optimizing War Hero mods and enhancements because the stats are often off, though this isn't necessary to play well.

Who has fun doing this on more than one character?!! Or even one character if the point is to enter a WZ and have a good time competing with other players and winning matches? It takes weeks and, for some, even months of frustrating play to even have a chance at what was available instantly in 10-49.

Another option would be to have a toggle to stop gaining experience while leveling, up to a certain level, best decided by BioWare for balance. This way, you could play 10-49 PvP for as long as you'd like.

I'm new to the PvP forums, so please don't flame this post. I believe it's a legitimate topic for discussion, as the current gear gap is very large between a new recruit and an augmented, optimized War Hero-geared player. It simply isn't fun to progress through more than once, if that.

Eszi
11.01.2012 , 06:26 PM | #2
Make a checkbox on the wz window
"Queue for clickers"

arunav
11.01.2012 , 06:33 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Eszi View Post
Make a checkbox on the wz window
"Queue for clickers"
So you enjoy obtaining optimized, augmented War Hero gear on more than one character? Seriously?

Is it necessary to insert (bad) sarcasm into an attempt to bring up a legitimate topic?

I've been in two guilds since launch, and most people don't enjoy 50 PvP because of the gear gap that is required to be overcome, not because they don't use keybinds. That is a small sample of the player-base, but I doubt the feeling is uncommon.

Especially in a game that encourages rolling alts and enjoying the different classes' play-styles, it seems silly to have only one "PvP character" because you spent months getting him/her geared properly.

SWTOR should be about having fun, not grinding for gear at a chance to have fun, even at 50.

AKfourtyseven
11.01.2012 , 06:38 PM | #4
We already have a queue for casuals.. Its called "normal warzones".

I really dont understand
Surik - lvl 50 Guardian
Server : The Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Guild : Coral

Eszi
11.01.2012 , 06:40 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by arunav View Post
So you enjoy obtaining optimized, augmented War Hero gear on more than one character? Seriously?

Is it necessary to insert vitriol into an attempt to bring up a legitimate topic?

I've been in two guilds since launch, and most people don't enjoy 50 PvP because of the gear gap that is required to be overcome. That is a small sample of the player-base, but I doubt the feeling is uncommon.

Especially in a game that encourages rolling alts and enjoying the different classes' play-styles, it seems silly to have one "PvP Toon" because you spent months getting him/her geared properly.

SWTOR should be about having fun, not grinding for gear at a chance to have fun, even at 50.

Yes, you PvP snobs can have your own queue. Don't be surprised when most people don't want to join it, though.
I have optimized wh with augments on 1 character, non-optimized wh with some bm on another.
Can hardly spot any difference, and while gearing my alt about 3 months ago I NEVER came across a situation where I was under-performing due to the gear i had (old recruit+bm). The gear gap is not nearly as bad as most of the casual **** claims it is, it's mostly a l2p issue, but it's easier to complain about the gear you have, rather than admitting that you just suck.
And yes, I'd rather have teams full of "PvP snobs", at least they call out incs and don't need to pause for 5 sec after each cast, just to give their brain some time to react.

arunav
11.01.2012 , 06:44 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by AKfourtyseven View Post
We already have a queue for casuals.. Its called "normal warzones".

I really dont understand
I'm referring to the gear grind that is necessary, especially if playing more than one character, to go from being completely useless in recruit gear ---> alright enough in augmented BM ---> competitive in augmented WH ---> BiS augmented WH (not really necessary in regular WZs). I'm not including the new weapons and offhands.

This is a tediously long process for most players, and typically not enjoyable, and goes against the MO of SWTOR, to roll alts and experience all the stories and play-styles.

It's not good design to be restricted to basically one character to PvP with at 50 unless you have absolutely no life and PvP all day.

AKfourtyseven
11.01.2012 , 06:50 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by arunav View Post
I'm referring to the gear grind that is necessary, especially if playing more than one character, to go from being completely useless in recruit gear ---> alright enough in augmented BM ---> competitive in augmented WH ---> BiS augmented WH. I'm not including the new weapons and offhands.

This is a tediously long process for most players, and typically not enjoyable, and goes against the MO of SWTOR, to roll alts and experience all the stories and play-styles.

It's not good design to be restricted to basically one character to PvP with at 50 unless you have absolutely no life and PvP all day.
But a "casual" does not need optimised WH. So my statement still stands, that casual players belong in normal warzones, which we have.

If you want gear faster? Thats an entirely different debate. And if all you care about is grinding gear, then do ranked, get stomped and just collect your comms.

The real issue here is too many people are scared to do ranked because they got stomped, so they are playing god in 4 man premades in normal warzones and making it harder for people to gear up. On my server there are numerous guilds who we never see in ranked anymore, but roll deep in normal premades.
Surik - lvl 50 Guardian
Server : The Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Guild : Coral

Doomsdaycomes
11.01.2012 , 06:51 PM | #8
As it is, it's easier than ever now to complete the gear grind. (MK2 recruit even comes with BM Relics. >.< I remember having to get champion relics and that bag random drop system.) It's easy for an alt to be competitive straight out the gate, and even well geared.

First there is MK2 recruit, not great, but it's free.

Then you have the ability to save 2000 regular and 3500 ranked comms starting at level 40 (And 10 levels is plenty of time). WH weapon and offhand is only 2000k ranked, so you can buy 1, if not both of your main weapons (Both leaves you with 500 normal comms left.)

Aletrnatively, you can send gear over to your alts via legacy gear. THe Bind on Legacy gear is only credits at the Legacy vendor, and since you're already in WH on your main (presumably, if the arguement is not wanting to go through the gear grind/gap "again). With Legacy gear, your fresh 50 can have WH Helmet, Chest, Legs, Hands, Feet, Belt, Bracers, Main-hand, Off-hand. Of course, that depends on how much work you want to put in on your main, but it is still -possible- to do the "grind" without the "gear gap."

With all that, your 2000/3500 comms can now be spent on the only Non-WH pieces. About 200/1500 for any given piece. (1 ear, 2 implants, 2 relics). With BM relics, you can easily get both implants, and then your first daily/weekly should cover the ear piece. There ya go, fresh 50, with preparation, in nearly full WH and weighing in at 1200+ expertise.

So if you want a queue for casual, that's one argument. Trying to justify it with "Do you want to do the gear gap/grind on multiple toons" to serious pvp'ers really doesn't hold water.

denpic
11.01.2012 , 06:59 PM | #9
I'm a casual and have no issue with the pvp queues cross server would be nice but it will come in time
My 3rd toon hit 50 last night played 4 matches in the recruit gear won 3 of those 4 matches and topped the damage for my team in 2 of them

The 10- 49 is more imbalanced then the 50 bracket
We have twinks sporting 16k + hp and they are not rare to see when the average player is sitting at 11-12k
And I'm ok with people doing that I prefer to just use the gear available to me on the leveling process and worry about gear at 50
EOL Marster Dar Nala
ULAC Dalbora

So-low
11.01.2012 , 07:02 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Eszi View Post
I have optimized wh with augments on 1 character, non-optimized wh with some bm on another.
Can hardly spot any difference, and while gearing my alt about 3 months ago I NEVER came across a situation where I was under-performing due to the gear i had (old recruit+bm). The gear gap is not nearly as bad as most of the casual **** claims it is, it's mostly a l2p issue, but it's easier to complain about the gear you have, rather than admitting that you just suck.
And yes, I'd rather have teams full of "PvP snobs", at least they call out incs and don't need to pause for 5 sec after each cast, just to give their brain some time to react.
Agree with this 100%. Skill>Gear.

My full recruit guardian is top 1-3 damage every match. I regularly beat full WH min/maxed, auged players with it and my BM vangaurd. Not trying to brag, just giving some perspective.

Problem is, most people with recruit/BM gear are bad casuals and don't know their class. Then they see the ****-tons of posts here about a so called "huge gear gap" and blame their shortcomings on that. Then all the lemmings follow suit, and soon they end up trashing the devs and calling "hax".

The few good players stay mostly silent and end up either on the top rated temas or quitting the game becuase of all the bads and devs catering to casuals.

Learn the other classes. Learn to time your stuns. Learn to Communicate. Learn to move/zig-zag/whatever while going through your optimal rotations and stuns. Learn to call incs and play objectives.

I can assure you that if any of these people crying about a "huge gear gap" dueled me while I am in full recruit, I would wreck them.