Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

OwenBrooks
12.13.2012 , 08:55 AM | #351
Quote: Originally Posted by MatahJ View Post
Sup 0/
At 1st, it was fine for few hours. Then it started to go black once every hour 2-3 times. Now, it goes black after about 10min into it, tops. All standard procedures are done, reloading drivers and that kind of thing. Nothing helps. All other entertainment software, just as taxing or more so, on the system as SWTOR, i have installed, running as usual. That ever is the issue, it must have came with the latest patch, perhaps bad code...

Time of Incident : 12/12/12-12/13/12
Character name, class, level and server : Agrippina , guardian, 45 The Harbinger.
Area this occurred : First time in a flashpoint, then increasingly random from when on.
A detailed description of your issue : Refer above, no error message, just black screen.
Operating System : win7 64bit.
Graphics Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560.
Any troubleshooting steps attempted : Refer above.

DxDiag :
Spoiler

recommend you try the following from gigabyte
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList...7-64_novga.exe

If you find the computer is turned on from cold and crashes are every few hrs then after a while they occur more and more often till you find they are happening every 10 minutes, this is a classic sign of overheating.
have you checked/cleaned all fans are working including the one on the video card.

psikofunkster
12.13.2012 , 12:16 PM | #352
Quote: Originally Posted by Khumak View Post
7 crashes tonight, has gotten worst for me for sure, wish they would tell us if this is gonna get fixed, if it's not just say so and ill move on to something else.
sure, they are gonna tell you...

psikofunkster
12.13.2012 , 12:17 PM | #353
Quote: Originally Posted by Persiffon View Post
I to have been crashing every 3 hours. Everything runs beautifully until the 3 hours then bam! Crash to desktop.

What I have been researching is why. This is what I have come up with so far.

Windows XP SP3

All versions of XP have a 2 gb limit on any memory operation.

"An artifact of the design of 32bit processors and the 32bit API for Windows, the 2GB barrier is a cap on how much addressing space (related to but not equivalent to memory usage) a single application can use. This isn't a bug but rather the result of how hardware and software was created so many years ago, and while everyone has known this barrier will inevitably be hit, as we'll see there are several reasons why it can't simply be moved or bypassed. Meanwhile hitting it involves affected applications crashing for what can appear to be no good reason, and understanding why the 2GB barrier exists and what can be done will be important for resolving those crashes."

This needs to be addressed by Bioware. There is nothing you can do about it! I know I have tried every single option provided by these kinds of threads besides going out and buying Windows 64 products. I know I will but right now it's not an option.

What I have learned is if your video card is 1 gb ram then it subtracts that from your available ram for the system because Windows XP can not address anything above 4gb in total. Thats the limit period. The swap file is pointless because if you increase the size of the page file it just creates more problems. Once the SWTOR.exe file tries to access more then is available to any process (2gb limit) you will get crash to desktop. If you set the swap file beyond it's limit you get page file corruption and a subsequent blue screen because the swap file is prone to corruption once the 2gb limit for a process is reached + system requirements. All must equal 4 GB period. Once it goes over CTD's happen.

BioWare must limit the process of the client to less then 2gb. It seems once it hits 1.6 gb it craps out on some systems because of the larger video cards like mine(1gb). Bioware must use a memory manager to set limits on the memory usage via a memory manager they use in the client. If Bioware makes the client behave in this way I believe all crashes to desktop will stop and the quality of play will be maximized.

Discuss
John Bigness
Computer Technician
No this is not OS related if that were the case 64 bits users wouldnt have this problem.

Avalanchehawk
12.13.2012 , 02:21 PM | #354
1. ]Name of server: Jedi Covenant
2. Name of character(s) affected.: All
3. Frequency of crashing how many crashes, how often? depends somethimes 1, often times many more.
4. Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc.:
It can be anything, from trying to talk to a vendor to changing zones.
5. DXDiag report
Spoiler

6. Your reliability report windows 7
Spoiler

7. Crashes right to desktop, or The Application SWTOR has stopped working, usually the latter, seeing both

Torvik
12.13.2012 , 05:03 PM | #355
Gee another great big udated and no fix for crashing to desktop.

I hate to say it, but as much as people complained about SOE (I was never one of them) they were one heck of a lot better and fixing problems and communicating with its subscribers than EA/Bioware. This problem would have been fixed by now and/or serious discussion would have been going between the devs and subscribers about what they were trying to do. Possible solutions would have been test center until it was resolved.

This abysmal Customer Service is just getting rediculous EA. It's time to fix this or just tell us you have no intentions of fixing it and please go to another game.

I will end this as always...

I can't believe LucasArts dumped SWG for this piece of _____.

Jedi_Slayer
12.13.2012 , 05:14 PM | #356
Name of server. - Jedi Covenant
Name of character(s) affected. Remal
Frequency of crashing how many crashes, how often? At least 1-2 times every session
Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc.

Loading Screens Particular going from BH to Fleet, or when leaving a FP. I have had it going between planets, but since I do not do that often that is 'rarer'

THis is a straight crash to desktop game closes.

EDIT: I have seen my memory usage regualr hit 1.4-1.6gb

Spoiler

PArt 1 kept hitting the 50k limit

Jedi_Slayer
12.13.2012 , 05:16 PM | #357
PArt 2

[SPOILER]
Spoiler

Jedi_Slayer
12.13.2012 , 05:17 PM | #358
Part 3

[SPOILER]
Spoiler

Jedi_Slayer
12.13.2012 , 05:18 PM | #359
And Part 4 because I guess wrong by 10k letters

Spoiler

JeezyCreezy
12.13.2012 , 07:40 PM | #360
Everytime I try and do a flashpoint it crashes to my desktop it is really pissing me off fix it