Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Make Names Unexclusive

Vacarius
11.02.2012 , 10:27 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by LordAndarus View Post
If this were to be implemented, it would probably be seen as Seikier-Vacarius, not a random chain of numbers. If anything, wouldn't this actually help identify others? It would prevent people from making characters just to be jerks, and let you recognize friendly players on different characters.
That sounds just like a legacy name, too bad Bioware got rid of those too
Seikier - Operative Healer
Officer of Nightmare Council

Eillack
11.02.2012 , 10:30 PM | #22
"I got screwed over because I was unoriginal...now everyone should suffer!"

Man OP grow up and deal with it honestly, one of my newer alts that I was too lazy to think of a name (so I used the random name generator) had to change his name..guess what? I didn't make a huge QQ thread aboout it because I had a quick "Oh, whatever" reaction..and made a new name in a second...

Keep the system the way it is, nothing wrong with it.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Vincire
11.03.2012 , 06:13 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by LordAndarus View Post
For several months I hadn't been playing this game for various personal reasons, and my subscription was cancelled due to a billing error or something. During that time, I had planned to resubscribe and start playing again around now, the former of which I did.

I checked here and learned about the server merge that had occured about two weeks prior, which immediately made me very worried about any sort of naming conflicts as names are something that I value greatly in a game like this, as you can probably tell.

While I was extremely relieved to discover that the developers had chosen to make legacy names no longer exclusive, an excellent decision on their part, I still frantically resubscribed, worried about the rest of my names.

To my despair, all seven of the characters I created on Sanctum of the Exalted on December 13, day one of early access, had lost their names. Including my beloved and creatively named Imperial Agent, "Andy".

Call me unhealthily obsessed, but I have memories of frantically preordering to insure I got in early access, more or less to make sure I could get the names I wanted, and of the week early access began, when I spent all of the time I had playing through chapter one with my aforementioned Imperial Agent, hoping to get my legacy name "Starborn", a quest I succeeded in. Pretty much every day I check if any of the holders of my old names decided to delete their characters on Ebon Hawk.

The developers have always said how this game would allow you to create characters that you could truly become attached and bonded to, and personally I find a character's name to be an integral part of this. With this server merge and the apparent titanic influx of players coming when the game becomes free to play, I think only so many players could bond with XxLukeCrapFartxX Skywalker. It seems that pretty much every name with less than five syllables is taken anyway with just the recent merge.

My suggestion is absolutely anything that would make names unexclusive (I don't know if that is a word, but bear with me). What seems to be the most widely proposed idea is to use some sort of @accountname system or something so people can identify you, as identification seems to be the most logical reason the keep names exclusive. It wouldn't even have to be displayed in the game world or in chat, you could just check the character's profile, and have it displayed somewhere there.

While not as ideal, each combination of name and legacy name could be made exclusive. For example, there could be John Smith, Bob Smith, and John Fisher, but only one John Smith.

Lastly, this would probably be the least favorable possibility, but immediately prior to the switch to free to play, every name could be wiped, giving current subscribers a shot at getting names they want before the predicted flood.

I'd also like to note that if the first two of these ideas were to be implemented, it would probably be a good idea to give every character that has had to have a name change at any point a free opportunity to change it back.

I'm very fond of this game, and hope for nothing more than it to succeed. If Bioware were to do something about this issue, it pretty much restore any lost faith from me.

Thanks for reading my ramble, and please respond if you agree so any devs that might see this know you exist.

TL;DR
The naming system should be changed so that names are no longer exclusive, just like the legacy names now are, because it is a good idea.
I think this would be a great idea. However, it may be a complex change that the developers might not be willing to undertake due to ROI and it would require a significant change in the database data model for starters. Still, it would be ideal prior to F2P.
Judan Dalratha -- 55 Jedi Guardian

Master-Nala
11.03.2012 , 06:18 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by LordRichardEW View Post
As nice as it would be It would screw up ingame mailing to player, mainly mailing to your alts.
Not necessarily. In City of Heroes, when I wanted to email something to an alt, I just emailed it to my account name. The mailbox there is an account wide mailbox.

Personally, I would only be OK with this if it used the "accountname" identifier method. Anything else is unacceptable IMO.

LordAndarus
11.03.2012 , 06:30 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Vacarius View Post
That sounds just like a legacy name, too bad Bioware got rid of those too
Yes, like a legacy name that has absolutely no aesthetic purpose and exists solely for identification.

LordAndarus
11.05.2012 , 04:41 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Vincire View Post
I think this would be a great idea. However, it may be a complex change that the developers might not be willing to undertake due to ROI and it would require a significant change in the database data model for starters. Still, it would be ideal prior to F2P.
I agree, that is why I feel it is important that this be addressed before F2P or not at all.

GARhenus
11.05.2012 , 07:32 PM | #27
What if I wanted to mail something to bob and there are dozens of bobs out there?
How about whisper?
Remote invite?

Don't tell me we're putting zomgnumbercodeswhatever instead of names.

Jarlgon
11.05.2012 , 07:57 PM | #28
worst idea for this game

RedClip
11.06.2012 , 10:54 AM | #29
I'm all for this. I've always viewed the one name requirement as a weakness of MMO design that's long over due to be addressed.

A unique account name would easily address in game mail issues.

TaylaEwa
11.06.2012 , 02:21 PM | #30
I personally didn't understand why they didn't make only the Legacy name unique. Each account can only tie up one Legacy name on a server. If that account happens to go inactive, its unlikely that someone else's game experience will be "ruined" by being unable to get that name. On the flip side, with unique toon names.. one account can possibly tie up as many as 16 names on one server ((this is assuming that you've had the max names through the server merges.))

Which method will cause you to run out of legible names faster?

"What if I wanted to mail Bob and there's 50 zillion Bobs?"

Easy, you mail it to the linked player and legacy name.. so you mail it to Bob YourFriend and not Bob Stranger1 or Bob Stanger2.
"Think, then act. Don't act, then think."

<<Order 65 on Harbinger>>