Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Make Names Unexclusive

LordAndarus
11.01.2012 , 03:48 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Aital View Post
I've always liked this idea. And it is completely doable. The game just have to remove any internal reference to names and go to character numbers and other unique identifiable. There's no reason for it not to. And first names being unique regardless of it being the only identifier at early lvs is unrealistic. The only hassle it would add is figuring if you are talking to the same Todd. Well friends lists solves that partly and besides that it simply adds a realistic element to the game. You don't know people that simply. As is they should not have viewable names.

I don't like name resets though. It shouldn't be necessary. They could easily switch internal references to an existing number on your character and leave the names. Then they could sell name changes give one free or let you keep it. It shouldn't be automatically done.
If legacy names were to become a key element in identification, I imagine they would be chosen earlier on.

Darth_Victus
11.01.2012 , 09:51 PM | #12
I agree.

I made a post like this a few weeks ago to suggest that player names should be tied to their forum names or a "log in" name, and that the actual name of the character would not be unique.

Similiar to how Blizzard Real ID works, if someone were to add you, it would show your fourm name in bigger letters, and beside it what character you were on.

LordRichardEW
11.01.2012 , 09:58 PM | #13
As nice as it would be It would screw up ingame mailing to player, mainly mailing to your alts.

AyaSolari
11.01.2012 , 10:19 PM | #14
I absolutely get where you are coming from but names = uniqueness in game, it's your special snowflake type of moment where you know your the only one. Now I didn't feel the name changes as bad as most only had too change 1 character in both server transfers, but from previous games yes its annoying when you have had that SPECIAL moment and then its taken when your forced to change and people despise change You just gotta put the big guy pants on and deal with it dude life is full of change why should a fantasy MMO be any diffrent.
The Zell Legacy - The Shadowlands
Walst | Dominura | Joern | Aaeru | Jo-Rowan | Xelles
Poetically Cryptic Website

Scorpassailant
11.01.2012 , 11:13 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Vacarius View Post
I think we all agree name changes are a pain. However, unexclusive names are not the way to go and would cause more harm than good. Names are more than just for yourself, they define your identity on the server.

Names influence who you group with, there are some people I would never join because I know they're trolls, loot ninjas, useless etc. There are also people I will happily stop what I'm doing to help because I know and respect them as players. Make names non-unique, and this stops.

An account name or identification number is also the wrong way to go. If the concern is imersion, do you seriously think being called Seikier-99321987 helps? And who expects people to remember that I'm Seikier-99321987 instead of Seikier-99321988?

Names are the key way to identify others, changing this will only lead to more problems.
A customer service nightmare

goldhtown
11.02.2012 , 02:19 AM | #16
One thing that would help is for Bioware to simply clear out all the level 1 "name squatters" and other people who are no longer playing the game. Just make anyone inactive for over 60+ days get an email warning them they better log in or they'll have to re-roll a new name if they ever came back. Whenever I search for most names they're usually reserved on a very low-level alt that's never played anymore. Reset those people's names and that would free up a TON of names.
INFERNAL HARVEST, Jung Ma server
www.infernalharvest.com
Timmothy "Timm" Marek - Juggernaut Tank
Guild Leader

Darth_Rathus
11.02.2012 , 09:13 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by goldhtown View Post
One thing that would help is for Bioware to simply clear out all the level 1 "name squatters" and other people who are no longer playing the game. Just make anyone inactive for over 60+ days get an email warning them they better log in or they'll have to re-roll a new name if they ever came back. Whenever I search for most names they're usually reserved on a very low-level alt that's never played anymore. Reset those people's names and that would free up a TON of names.
^ this ^

Mekare
11.02.2012 , 09:21 AM | #18
/sign for this.... lost most of my names too, and have never once seen the name thief on new server actually playing my names. :/ I chose my server because it had my names available.
Save the giggle!
An agent without giggles is like a Sith without a lightsaber.
(You wouldn't make Vader use a blaster now, would you?)

LordAndarus
11.02.2012 , 07:49 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by LordRichardEW View Post
As nice as it would be It would screw up ingame mailing to player, mainly mailing to your alts.
I honestly fail to see how this would interfere with ingame mail. Just put the @tag or legacy name in along with the character.

Grayseven
11.02.2012 , 08:50 PM | #20
I wish I'd seen this before posting my suggestion.

The easiest way to fix the naming issue is to make Legacy names unique and first names not and changing the mail system so that mail sent to a Legacy name is available to all characters of that Legacy and mail sent to a specific name and Legacy can only be opened by that one character.

Everyone will eventually get a Legacy anyway so forcing a Legacy surname at account creation wouldn't be that big of a deal even with F2P coming up.

Naming is becoming an hour long effort trying to find something a player can live with but hasn't already been taken. Even names someone believes to be a unique creation have quite probably already been taken.
"50 Grades of Shae", a heart-warming novel about a Mandalorian that delivers beat-downs and assigns grades to her victims.