Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Needing Items while grouped

Cross_Fade
10.29.2012 , 09:50 AM | #1
I'd really like to know why its SUCH a big deal for me to need a few items while I'm grouped up? Seriously, if I need 1 item a whole flashpoint SOMEONE is whining. Last night on my Sith Warrior we ran Athiss, after the final boss he dropped a orange modifiable pistol. I have two companions who could use that, so I needed it.

It was SUCH a big deal, and I didn't even win the roll. I didn't care, I can go back and do it again. But seriously, if I need it why should I have to explain myself to 3 or 4 other people just because they needed/greeded it also? They interrogated me like a DEA officer would a drug mule People need to get over it I think.

Xenirath
10.29.2012 , 09:51 AM | #2
Were you a sniper needing on heavy armor?

Edit: I re-read your post. A companion is not a need roll when a player needs it more. You should have asked politely if anyone needed it then asked if you could have it if not. Other people need that pistol for THEM not their OPTIONAL characters
The Three Topics Better Not Discussed Online:
1)Religion
2)Politics
3)Which Videogames are Better

Cross_Fade
10.29.2012 , 09:52 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Xenirath View Post
Were you a sniper needing on heavy armor?
No..I said I was a Sith Warrior needing a pistol for my companions

Xienive
10.29.2012 , 09:53 AM | #4
Because that's just it. The player character NEEDS the pistol because his class can use it and it is an upgrade. You as a Warrior do not NEED it, you WANT it for your companion. Thus you GREED it.

Why should your companion be a priority over a real player that's actually doing work in the group?
No disintegrations!
As you wish...

Xenirath
10.29.2012 , 09:54 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Cross_Fade View Post
No..I said I was a Sith Warrior needing a pistol for my companions
Yea I edited it, I didn't read very clearly just the topic line :P

Companions are not a need though, hence backlash.
The Three Topics Better Not Discussed Online:
1)Religion
2)Politics
3)Which Videogames are Better

TheRealCandyMan
10.29.2012 , 09:55 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Cross_Fade View Post
I'd really like to know why its SUCH a big deal for me to need a few items while I'm grouped up? Seriously, if I need 1 item a whole flashpoint SOMEONE is whining. Last night on my Sith Warrior we ran Athiss, after the final boss he dropped a orange modifiable pistol. I have two companions who could use that, so I needed it.

It was SUCH a big deal, and I didn't even win the roll. I didn't care, I can go back and do it again. But seriously, if I need it why should I have to explain myself to 3 or 4 other people just because they needed/greeded it also? They interrogated me like a DEA officer would a drug mule People need to get over it I think.
Because it's fairly rude to need something that you don't need for your main spec. It's an unspoken rule that off spec/companion rolls are all greed, not need.

Lionflash
10.29.2012 , 09:56 AM | #7
Player >>> Companion

The Player is always present when running Solos, Flashpoints, Operations and PVP.

The Companion is only present when running Solo.

That player will get more use out of that your companions which is why he 'NEEDS' it and you 'GREED' it.

Alduinsm
10.29.2012 , 09:59 AM | #8
Pretty much what others have said
Shin

Taiketo
10.29.2012 , 10:08 AM | #9
Every class has a companion that can use a pistol. Every single one of them.

Although SW's specifically have absolutely no use for an aim based pistol, even for companions, which is what I'd imagine dropped, so...

You rolled on an item for a companion that is not even optimal for your companion when there was a bounty hunter in the group that could use it for himself, and 2 other people in the group that could possibly use it for a companion as well.

Need is designed for gear for yourself. If you start using it for gear for companions then you could argue for anything that ever dropped, and effectively destroy the entire point of the system to begin with.

Cross_Fade
10.29.2012 , 10:11 AM | #10
But I needed it for my companion, therefore I needed it. I don't run through the whole game with 1 guy I found in group finder, I can't worry about him and if what I do is considered rude or breaking an unwritten rule. Because if it was a big deal, it wouldn't be unwritten. I'm playing to win, so I reckon if that means stepping on a few people's toes so be it. I'm gonna try and make me and my team the best possible.