Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Dovahbrah's Avatar


Dovahbrah
11.03.2012 , 01:30 PM | #131
Quote: Originally Posted by heechJunzi View Post
All I can say that I could've been playing as my EWH sentinel, and I don't think I would've helped any more than I did as commando.
Did you type that with a straight face?

Nevermind the group speed buff, the group damage buff, the defensive CDs, the healing debuff, the great damage output and whatnot. Surely your commando helped just as much.
Leaf - 50 Commando - The Fatman Notleaf - 50 Juggernaught - POT5
Leafe - 50 Shadow - The Fatman
Leafy - 50 Vanguard - The Fatman
Leafyy - 50 Sentinel - The Fatman

xxIncubixx's Avatar


xxIncubixx
11.03.2012 , 01:35 PM | #132
Quote: Originally Posted by AsiriusNazriel View Post
Nice!

Competent player > Incompetent player.

I've seen some stacked PUGs on my server, so it all depends on who's running with who and the level of communication. Hell, we'll run premades of 4 different guilds and it'll look like a pug, but we dominate.

Mercs are support role class, people aren't playing them correctly. In good hands like yours, they can be absolutely devastating and Pyro Mercs are very viable. I have a guildie who runs it and he tops the DPS charts as well.

Arsenal has it's own issues, but I've seen Arsenal players do extremely well. The problem is that they think that they should act like a rotating turret. It needs to be a TM TM TM, move, railshot on the go, Proc'd Unload. The more mobile you can make yourself, the more effective you become. Hug corners. Little things like that.
i dont understand these people... did you actually play a merc? its horrible, powertech is better in assault spec, better then anything merc can bring. arsenal is to easily shutdown, even a recruit gear sentinel can annihalte you not so hard, and assault is simply not reliable.

AsiriusNazriel's Avatar


AsiriusNazriel
11.03.2012 , 02:55 PM | #133
Quote: Originally Posted by xxIncubixx View Post
i dont understand these people... did you actually play a merc? its horrible, powertech is better in assault spec, better then anything merc can bring. arsenal is to easily shutdown, even a recruit gear sentinel can annihalte you not so hard, and assault is simply not reliable.
Arsenal is too easily shutdown because people are not reacting appropriately when they get attacked. All they want to do is spam TM. That's all it is TM TM TM, Unload, Railshot, TM TM TM, rinse repeat.

Yeah as if someone is gonna let you go and spam that from the back row. Same people who used to press 1 button for wins are now crying for a buff.
Pax Imperius & Pax Dominus
Arash a.k.a. "Chuck Norris of PVP"

heechJunzi's Avatar


heechJunzi
11.03.2012 , 03:27 PM | #134
Quote: Originally Posted by Dovahbrah View Post
Did you type that with a straight face?

Nevermind the group speed buff, the group damage buff, the defensive CDs, the healing debuff, the great damage output and whatnot. Surely your commando helped just as much.
Yes, I did. I play three classes competitively, and I like my assault commando very, very much.
Junzi - EWH Sentinel Buxi - EWH Commando JŘnzi - EWH Operative
----------- The Harbinger -----------

Serpieri's Avatar


Serpieri
11.03.2012 , 03:34 PM | #135
Quote: Originally Posted by AsiriusNazriel View Post
Arsenal is too easily shutdown because people are not reacting appropriately when they get attacked. All they want to do is spam TM. That's all it is TM TM TM, Unload, Railshot, TM TM TM, rinse repeat.

Yeah as if someone is gonna let you go and spam that from the back row. Same people who used to press 1 button for wins are now crying for a buff.
The spec requires 3 tracers. Bioware designed it that way. Without the stacks merc dps is laughable.

Jherad's Avatar


Jherad
11.03.2012 , 04:51 PM | #136
Quote: Originally Posted by heechJunzi View Post
That's actually not what I said. The solo kill was against the guild team.
I'm pretty sure that's what I said. You beat all the pugs, lost against the guild team, but the saving grace was solo capping against them. Which makes them not good (or having a really bad day, running a b-team whatever).

Quote:
Your point basically comes down to: commandos aren't competitive against good teams/players, and therefore ipso facto, if as a commando you beat a player/team, they must not have been very good. That's nice.
Oof. That's a bit of a leap. How about 'as a commando, the teams you are less likely to get shut down by are bad'.

I do really really well as a commando. I have the best gear I can get, boatloads of experience, I can 1v2 scrubs and am usually top of the charts. Against PUGs, or most premades in standards. I can honestly say that I feel I have mastered the class, as both assault and gunnery. Please, check out my vids in my sig - they're not particularly selective, most of my matches win or lose look similar. My last match uploaded has me putting out about 670k damage - which is nowhere near my top end.

Once more, for those at the back: I have no problem with how Commando plays as a spec at the low end of PvP. If you excel, you can beat an average player just fine. Even a good player. The problem is, from experience, at the very top end of competitive play, there is NO room for a DPS commando. There are significantly better choices for your team - the best commandos cannot compete with the best of other ACs.

I understand you (appear to) feel that everything is ok if you can do well against a team you perceive as adequate. That is not where I'm at. I can't speak for everyone else.
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

SneiK's Avatar


SneiK
11.03.2012 , 05:07 PM | #137
I just finished #1 DPS Civil War (800k DMG), with a sorc being 2nd (700k), as a Merc DPS.

It was Ranked.

FUBAR vs. MVPs (2500-3000+ Rating)

...Oh, and I wasn't even full WH min maxed, like everybody else in both teams.


L2P issues?


Fix our push like you fixed the sorcs, and give us a self heal like you gave them. Problem fixed.
Oh, and it's lame that Merc Pyros have to spec into +2% endurance, to not gimp themselves, when PTs get 9% DMG on main rail crit ability (RP). Move alacrity bonus somewhere else, and give us +% on unload.

PS: The Sorc's middle tree is bad in PvP, so is the PT's (only due to dodgy PFT, however), so the Merc is not alone in that regard.

Jherad's Avatar


Jherad
11.03.2012 , 05:25 PM | #138
Heh. I'm just gonna go ahead and quote your own post back at you.

Quote: Originally Posted by SneiK View Post
Let's look at the ranked must haves:

Juggernaut Tank (Melee)
Assassin Tank (Melee)
Carnage Marauder DPS (Melee)

And because of current state of smashspec, having it on top of the above doesn't hurt:

Smash Warrior DPS (Melee)

So, excluding healers, 4/6 (tank + dps) are melee. the other two could be PT/Sniper/Sorc. The PT will be with those melee, and Sniper has no problems being close to them.

What I mean, is that the game is heavily gimped towards melee, and zerging. So no, I'm not seeing bubble spec as a bad thing.

wat no merc?
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

SneiK's Avatar


SneiK
11.03.2012 , 05:29 PM | #139
Yes, generally thought others could be Sniper/PT/Sorc, since I haven't had a chance to show my teeth with my merc before (my guild mates didn't let me cuz 'merc sucks').

Now, that I have some actual experience, I'm convinced that the Merc DPS is viable indeed, with minor tweaks, however. It still deserves the Pushback fix, for the exact same reasons Sorc got it, and the self heal, for exact the same reason the sorcs got it. Sorcs will still get instant Mezz specced, and Force Speed + Friendly Pull, so they will still have superior utility. Now they have both superior utility, and defensives.

PS: Learn to read: 'I JUST finished #1...Also the word 'Could'...You should look it up the dictionary.

Jherad's Avatar


Jherad
11.03.2012 , 05:32 PM | #140
Heh, the post I quoted was from yesterday. You've had a day of good PvP, and all is right with the class eh?

Sweet.

Nerf operatives, or something. I saw one do well once.
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol