Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

yoomazir
02.14.2013 , 05:26 PM | #1251
Quote: Originally Posted by Luckeyduckey View Post
Pyrotech Merc is fine. Arsenal isn't great, but as Pyro, you really only have to cast 2 abilties. One is channeled, and if it gets interupted, you still get the proc of railshot. Then you have Powershot. A 1.5 second cast when specced, and you only need to use it once in awhile. If it gets interupted, keep going. Rapid Shots is your friend.
lol, Pyro merc is fine if you are ignored, when things gets close & personal, you wish you had Flame Burst instead of you interruptables Unload/Powercrap, errr I mean Powershot...

In a scenario where both players have equal skills & gear rating:

A Pyro Merc has a Powertech in front of him, both have all skills on cooldown, who do you think would win?
A Pyro Merc has a Maraudeur in front of him, both have all skills on cooldown, who do you think would win?
A Pyro Merc has an Assassin in front of him, both have all skills on cooldown, who do you think would win?
A Pyro Merc has an Operative in front of him, both have all skills on cooldown, who do you think would win?
A Pyro Merc has a hybrid Sorcerer in front of him, both have all skills on cooldown, who do you think would win?
A Pyro Merc has a Juggernaut in front of him, both have all skills on cooldown, who do you think would win?
A Pyro Merc has a Sniper in front of him, both have all skills on cooldown, who do you think would win?

Answer: not the dps merc...

And against a healer? you can't outdps their heals and utilities.

Now think having more than one of those classes in front of you, what you gonna do, walk away using Rapids Shots? If you were playing one of the other classes you could still have a possibility to escape/endure, but nope, as a DPS merc, your only solution is to die, Pyro merc is fine? Nice joke.

Sure, a dps merc can do well in a pug Warzone, in a Ranked one? Against teamspeaker/mumble premades FOTMs teams? Who are you trying to convince dude, what can you possibily bring on the table? The answer is simple, NOTHING.

EDIT: damn, when I said on cooldown, I mean having all their skills available.

T-Assassin
02.14.2013 , 05:36 PM | #1252
Quote: Originally Posted by Luckeyduckey View Post
Pyrotech Merc is fine. Arsenal isn't great, but as Pyro, you really only have to cast 2 abilties. One is channeled, and if it gets interupted, you still get the proc of railshot. Then you have Powershot. A 1.5 second cast when specced, and you only need to use it once in awhile. If it gets interupted, keep going. Rapid Shots is your friend.
if i may...

Pyrotech is NOT fine.

First, unload does not proc 100%, if interrupted. Well, not since the last time i PvP'd on mine.

Second, power shot is our other RS proc'ing ability!! use it once in awhile...no, it needs to be a consistant part of a Pyro's rotation in order to maintain even a decent level of DPS, especially compred to Powertech shared tree, which can do all this while having it be elemental damage and uniterruptable, and kiting!!! at the ideal range of 7-9m.

depending on rapid shots while kiting, to be even in the same ballpark as effective as what other classes do while your rapid shotting it up, is NOT fine...you will die, fast.

Merc pyrotech is NOT fine.
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

cashogy_reborn
02.14.2013 , 06:07 PM | #1253
*if* unload procs PPA, it procs it at the start of the channel. so you can stop-cast it if you are trying to kite and attempt to get a quick Rail Shot reset. iirc it has like a 75% chance to proc, so it usually does if the internal cooldown is not active

pyrotech really has the same problems that arsenal does. both specs have 2 casted abilities as the main focus of their rotations. the main difference is that arsenal has its instant cast abilities at the end of the rotation, and pyrotech has its instant cast abilities at the start of the rotation.

and yes, there are lots of Merc/Mandos that are able to be successful in warzones. but it is only because the mean skill level in this game is exceptionally low. if you set skill to a constant, Merc will lose to any other DPS class as far as damage-on-target and group utility is concerned
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

funkiestj
02.14.2013 , 07:12 PM | #1254
Quote: Originally Posted by Jherad View Post
Kinda like a stripper pole?
I LOLed.

Quote:
But I don't believe BW's PvP team (if it even IS a team any more) has the faintest idea what happens in RWZs. They are outliers to the general metrics the devs seem so fond of.
There is no reason BW can't filter matches by some criteria (e.g. RWZ matches between teams that both have rating above X) and then run metrics. Presumably they do this today.

I think the problem is more a matter of BW managers always seeing other features as better business cases than putting serious work into PvP WZ.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

cashogy_reborn
02.14.2013 , 08:16 PM | #1255
Quote: Originally Posted by funkiestj View Post
There is no reason BW can't filter matches by some criteria (e.g. RWZ matches between teams that both have rating above X) and then run metrics. Presumably they do this today.

I think the problem is more a matter of BW managers always seeing other features as better business cases than putting serious work into PvP WZ.
i would hope that is how they do the metrics. i bet that if you looked at all players with a rating above 2,000, you would see very few Merc/Mandos
The King of Bads

sithheroes
02.14.2013 , 08:26 PM | #1256
So I have been playing more pyro for pvp since it is slightly better then arsenal.
Arsenal is easily shutdown with 1 interrupt, pyro is less reliant on casts to have high dmg output.
The problem still remains that 1 good melee can own you in no time flat since you cant keep them off you.
n8
Lillish-Rockets-Nte-Jogenn-Toshi
RdGrenitLulz

cashogy_reborn
02.15.2013 , 10:29 PM | #1257
lets bump this up from page 4....
The King of Bads

skotish
02.15.2013 , 11:19 PM | #1258
Shocking that this class has been left in the wilderness for over 6 months get it sorted BW
Quote: Originally Posted by Frankenseuss View Post
Palpetine: "... Not from a TOR dev."
TOFN Farquar'hoffe/Val'korsin

cashogy_reborn
02.16.2013 , 12:11 AM | #1259
Quote: Originally Posted by skotish View Post
Shocking that this class has been left in the wilderness for over 6 months get it sorted BW
much closer to a year tbh
The King of Bads

Akomo
02.16.2013 , 01:07 AM | #1260
Once again short answer- NO.
Super Muppet Extraordinaire!