Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

cashogy_reborn
02.05.2013 , 12:40 AM | #1021
Quote: Originally Posted by Jherad View Post
But I don't believe BW's PvP team (if it even IS a team any more) has the faintest idea what happens in RWZs. They are outliers to the general metrics the devs seem so fond of.
this. 100% this exactly
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Macroeconomics
02.05.2013 , 02:47 AM | #1022
Quote: Originally Posted by dcgregorya View Post
Or something else, but I think you'll be sorely mistaken if you think an escape is all that's needed to get them into RWZ - because with an escape, they're still adding nothing that a sorc doesn't already do better.
Unfortunately, a short escape is probably all we are going to get. And I wouldn't put it past BW to attach a heat/resource nerf to that escape move. They just fundamentally believe that Merc dps is OP. Which is actually half true. In a fight between low skill players, the Merc dps is one of the best classes in the game. And most of the people in pvp warzones these days are low skill players. Hence from a meta average standpoint, Merc dps is OP. But once you get to the higher skill level players, everyone knows Merc dps is the worst class in the game. Period. Every honest player will acknowledge this. But BW's policy is not to balance based on best practices for each subclass. They are balancing based on meta averages. So Mercs will always suck.

The sad part is that there is a lot of scope for adding utility to the Merc class - in ways that would actually improve the overall game. For example there are no anti-stealth classes in the game. Every other subclass has a counter. But not stealth classes. If you made Merc an anti-stealth class by making its stealth scanner invisible to enemy players and root inducing to enemy stealthers, overall play balance would improve a lot. But we won't see that. BW is not going to buff a class it already considers OP.

SneiK
02.05.2013 , 03:11 AM | #1023
The above pretty much sums it up.

ArchangelLBC
02.05.2013 , 08:08 AM | #1024
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
Unfortunately, a short escape is probably all we are going to get. And I wouldn't put it past BW to attach a heat/resource nerf to that escape move. They just fundamentally believe that Merc dps is OP. Which is actually half true. In a fight between low skill players, the Merc dps is one of the best classes in the game. And most of the people in pvp warzones these days are low skill players. Hence from a meta average standpoint, Merc dps is OP. But once you get to the higher skill level players, everyone knows Merc dps is the worst class in the game. Period. Every honest player will acknowledge this. But BW's policy is not to balance based on best practices for each subclass. They are balancing based on meta averages. So Mercs will always suck.

The sad part is that there is a lot of scope for adding utility to the Merc class - in ways that would actually improve the overall game. For example there are no anti-stealth classes in the game. Every other subclass has a counter. But not stealth classes. If you made Merc an anti-stealth class by making its stealth scanner invisible to enemy players and root inducing to enemy stealthers, overall play balance would improve a lot. But we won't see that. BW is not going to buff a class it already considers OP.

That they even acknowledge our escapability issues speaks to the fact that they aren't JUST looking at meta averages (or that those meta averages aren't so much in commando's favor as you seem to think. I know you like to think that only the high skill players are left, but on shadowlands I can't swing a dead cat sometimes for all the gunnery commandos and most of them suck out loud. Got into a match the other week with FOUR of them).

That being said, I highly doubt they understand the class or the current meta game enough to give us something that truly helps us, unless it also basically overturns the current meta and actually does make us OP, probably in some kind of incredibly annoying.

Making us an antistealth class has a lot of good balancing potential imo. Especially as powerful as those classes are. I agree with your change to stealth scan and I also think they should give us a second stealth scan type ability which shows us (and only us) all stealth classes within 30-35 meters that aren't currently using some kind of black out ability (the RP justification would be something like "thermal imager" or something). This would make us a good counter to stealth but would also give stealth players a counterplay against us.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

ArchangelLBC
02.05.2013 , 12:28 PM | #1025
bump, justice, blah

What do you guys think of the datamined changes?

-Wnd

yoomazir
02.05.2013 , 12:32 PM | #1026
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
bump, justice, blah

I see more defenses, faster casting but less minimal dmg (but higher max dmg) for various of our attacks.

Overall: meh.

Lalainnia
02.05.2013 , 12:35 PM | #1027
bump, justice, blah

I dunno tbh b/c im not sure if that is in the Lil booster pack or 1.7 if its in the booster pack i don't think its going to make much of a difference b/c burst is gonna go up with gear, certain things will scale better etc and were just gonna die even faster. Plus I bet most of its bound to change.

On a side note its pretty sad that all the new major skills are just skills that Npc's already have that goes for all the classes and I wouldnt be shocked if the animations look the same.
Donna-Commando-Combat Medic
When we care for others our own strength to live increases. When we help people expand their state of life, our lives also expand. Actions to benefit others are not separate from actions to benefit oneself.

ArchangelLBC
02.05.2013 , 03:29 PM | #1028
I'm still irrationally angry about the Demo Round nerf. Losing the cooldown reduction to Reserve Powercell is pretty annoying too.

-Wnd

Lord_Karsk
02.05.2013 , 03:50 PM | #1029
I'm still irrationally angry about the Demo Round nerf. Losing the cooldown reduction to Reserve Powercell is pretty annoying too.
LOL you must be the only one who actually put points into that useless 2 skill reserver round.

cashogy_reborn
02.05.2013 , 03:56 PM | #1030
what is this?

please link!
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads