Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Windows 8 Question

melodylane
10.26.2012 , 02:27 PM | #11
I wouldn't buy a pc or laptop with Windows 8 on it as the sole OS right now simply because it is so new. You can't be sure that all the software you want to use will run on it correctly. Also when a OS comes out brand new fresh out the shop no matter what they say it is still in beta for at least the first year as they work bugs out and find new glitches/vulnerabilities that may have been missed. With all the new consumers who want the latest hotness, what better testing group could they find? No, if at all possible I would suggest a dual boot option with Windows 7 and 8. It's fairly easy to setup if you can find someone who knows how to do it and it will ultimately make your laptop more flexible to work with this way you will get the best of both worlds. Just my two cents anyway.

"For some people this world ain't never gonna be right.... Maybe your Mattie's one of those people" ~ Doc Holiday -Tombstone-

LostInReverie
10.26.2012 , 08:32 PM | #12
I installed Windows 8 today, and it works fine. SWTOR plays without any problems. One problem I did have though, unrelated to the game, had to do with my antivirus software. Make sure it's updated after you upgrade or install or it could cause some weird issues.
THE CALLISTO LEGACY (JC)
Melusine - Shadow / Xephřr - Vanguard / Aedhan - Gunslinger / Parthalan - Guardian
Ilaria - Marauder / Arriston - Sniper / Cordula - Mercenary / Drus´lla - Sorcerer

eKoKnight
11.06.2012 , 02:59 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by LostInReverie View Post
I installed Windows 8 today, and it works fine. SWTOR plays without any problems. One problem I did have though, unrelated to the game, had to do with my antivirus software. Make sure it's updated after you upgrade or install or it could cause some weird issues.
I installed Windows 8 today. With Crash and Crash oh and more crash. Heck even some of my games crash that only a few months old... Woot woot... :\ ok think its time to go back to Windows 7 now. I cant even get origin to run so I can play bf3. And I cant even play swtor now

wabaadu
12.18.2012 , 04:24 PM | #14
How in the world has anyone gotten windows8 to run SWTOR? I log in to character and it crashes every time. I had to buy a new laptop 2 weeks ago, and had no choice on OS, which pisses me off to begin with. Now SWTOR support won't respond to my concerns about having paid for game, and now not being able to play. So please if anyone has any suggestions on how to get logged in let me know please.

Thanks, Troxter

Roalmo
12.18.2012 , 05:14 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by wabaadu View Post
How in the world has anyone gotten windows8 to run SWTOR? I log in to character and it crashes every time. I had to buy a new laptop 2 weeks ago, and had no choice on OS, which pisses me off to begin with. Now SWTOR support won't respond to my concerns about having paid for game, and now not being able to play. So please if anyone has any suggestions on how to get logged in let me know please.

Thanks, Troxter
Dunno your laptop manufacturer, but lots of lap models have tons of bloatware on them. Get rid of it.

Also, have terrible anti-virus, like mcaffee or that other big name one. Get rid of it. Get free stuff like Avast. Turn off the always on portion of any anti-vius, and make sure that launcher.exe and swtor.exe are exceptions in the anti-virus program.

Next, set-up a second account to log in with. It eliminates a lot of the stuff that loads with your regular account.

Make sure you've updated all the Win8 updates.

Now try launching from the tile for SWTOR.

nacomaj
12.22.2012 , 09:08 AM | #16
I have two gaming laptops and both of them run any game I want. I have an Asus G74Sx and a Sager and I run max settings on both with no problem. Not to stir arguments but you can play on an Laptop and enjoy just as good of performance as a desktop.

Shaystar
12.22.2012 , 09:59 AM | #17
I have Windows 8 on a desktop. Never crashed, no performance issues. If anything it feels just a little bit faster.
Darth Vansaelus
"The Republic has abandoned me, I shall have my revenge".

phalczen
12.22.2012 , 10:48 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by nacomaj View Post
I have two gaming laptops and both of them run any game I want. I have an Asus G74Sx and a Sager and I run max settings on both with no problem. Not to stir arguments but you can play on an Laptop and enjoy just as good of performance as a desktop.
The key, imho, is plenty of RAM and a dedicated video chip, rather than on board video. Dell XPS17 here and i run on max as well, except on space missions. I have 8G of ram and the laptop has a geforce gt 555m. It's like 2 years old now. I'm sure there are faster boxes that are cheaper now than what I paid.

I have SWTOR on my SSD on my laptop and on my raid 0 SSD array on my desktop, but I do not find its incredibly faster as a result.

Gidrea
12.22.2012 , 11:39 AM | #19
You don't need a super expensive gaming laptop. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron, not a high end model, it was around $850.

Intel i7 2.2GHz
8 GB RAM
Nvidia 525M (2GB)
Windows 7 64-bit

I run everything on high, except I have shadows and nameplates turned off, mostly because they look funky. I get FPS consistently in the high 30s to low 40s. I get lag on the Fleet when there's 250 people there, but I know a lot of people who have that problem with higher end computers.
Gidrea / Sallah / Amandageddon / Randava - The Harbinger

Shock and Jawa / Population Comtrol - The family you chose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!

Roalmo
12.22.2012 , 04:06 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Gidrea View Post
You don't need a super expensive gaming laptop. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron, not a high end model, it was around $850.

Intel i7 2.2GHz
8 GB RAM
Nvidia 525M (2GB)
Windows 7 64-bit

I run everything on high, except I have shadows and nameplates turned off, mostly because they look funky. I get FPS consistently in the high 30s to low 40s. I get lag on the Fleet when there's 250 people there, but I know a lot of people who have that problem with higher end computers.
Sigh love how all the guys with Win7 come in and derail a thread for Win8 help... just sayin'..