Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Windows 8 Question

lecoufle
10.24.2012 , 10:16 AM | #1
Hi everyone, probably a stupid question but I'm looking to get a new laptop which will probably have windows 8 on it, will SWTOR still run OK?

Oggthebase
10.24.2012 , 10:23 AM | #2
it's difficult to know without knowing the exact specs, but in general, laptop are not very good for gaming because in order to fit into a small form factor, compromise must be made with performance (apart from top of the line super expensive laptops)

xxyyxx
10.24.2012 , 10:38 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Oggthebase View Post
it's difficult to know without knowing the exact specs, but in general, laptop are not very good for gaming because in order to fit into a small form factor, compromise must be made with performance (apart from top of the line super expensive laptops)

I use my laptop for gaming and it's not super expensive.

Adric_the_Red
10.24.2012 , 11:15 AM | #4
Yep. I have a laptop that's a couple years old, and I use it occasionally for SWTOR. It runs just fine (though with the settings dialed back a bit). It's true that a laptop will be more expensive than a desktop with the same capability, but there are plenty of options for laptops that will run SWTOR very well. No need for top of the line or "super expensive".

As for the Windows 8 question, that should also run SWTOR just fine. And if you're really paranoid about it, you can probably still find a laptop with Win7 on it and an option to "upgrade" to Win8 for $20 or less. (IOW, it comes with Win7 on it, and you pay in advance to be able to upgrade to Win8 later).

Oggthebase
10.24.2012 , 11:24 AM | #5
the super expensive of the poor man is the cheap of the rich man.

Please give out specs and specific figures.

anthemambient
10.24.2012 , 01:24 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by lecoufle View Post
Hi everyone, probably a stupid question but I'm looking to get a new laptop which will probably have windows 8 on it, will SWTOR still run OK?
W8 may not be perfectly optimised for SWTOR since it's recently new.
Romans 12:21 .. exception to this is my Sage.

redfurry
10.25.2012 , 08:02 AM | #7
I just had to reinstall my computer because of a hard drive crash and decided to try Windows 8. SWTOR runs fine on it - about the same as it did on a newly installed Windows 7, I'd say.

Cyphen
10.25.2012 , 09:08 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by xxyyxx View Post
I use my laptop for gaming and it's not super expensive.
But you will not get much out of it. To play max settings for many new titles you will need a decent gaming laptop or you will suffer in performance.

Laptops are not meant for gaming, or at least you will not get most out of it.

@OP It should be fine, if not you can always install W7 if you buy it or few other ways.
Your Blood shall become the Mantle to my Victory!

dosadnik
10.25.2012 , 10:53 AM | #9
I've seen people playing on W8 so if you can't play that wouldn't be the problem. The specs would be though if they are not good enough. However considering it's a new one it is more than likely to run TOR.
The online encyclopedia for TOR, that anyone can edit!

Caito Level 55 Jedi Knight The Red Eclipse

AlienEyeTX
10.25.2012 , 11:08 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyphen View Post
But you will not get much out of it. To play max settings for many new titles you will need a decent gaming laptop or you will suffer in performance.

Laptops are not meant for gaming, or at least you will not get most out of it.

@OP It should be fine, if not you can always install W7 if you buy it or few other ways.
If you don't mind playing lower than max settings, a new, reasonably priced laptop will be fine. I typically play on my HP Envy 6, which has an AMD A10 APU. I keep settings mostly at medium, but I do have the character level high. Of course, you can always tweak to the settings that work best for yourself.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric