Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Antiquated MMO Social Organization

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Antiquated MMO Social Organization

SentinelDranoel
10.24.2012 , 07:58 AM | #11
This is what happens when you use old school classes. I still like Champions Online character creator because I can make a custom toon from look to powers. When it comes down to grouping, depending on your set up, you can dps, tank and self heal. The backfire to that is people solo a lot in that game too but Cryptic just added group incentives late. Bioware has group incentives but made it hard to find a group. It felt like playing COH, where I can't do anything without a group. I feel that gets old. Paying and logging into a game then sitting around.

PVP needs a cross server queue, PVE does not, most of the advanced classes are damage type anyway so what is the point. Dual spec will not help unless they got a instant set up where my skill points and armor changes with a click. Suggestion? Nothing you can do about it, the game itself is using a archaic system of follow the tank while the healer purely heals. I would like more mobs that do less damage so the battles don't end so quickly without a healer. Flashpoints and ops are too "threat and heals" dependent. Story mode is better because mobs do not do OP damage.

One of my biggest complaints in all video games is this; MORE DAMAGE AND HEALTH DOES NOT = DIFFICULTY. COMPLICATED BOSS MECHANICS AND PATTERNS WITH HIGH RISK VS LOW RISK REWARDS = FUN BOSS BATTLES. Example. Fight a boss in easy,normal and hard and it is the same exact battle. Fight a boss in easy, normal and hard and he uses new tactics that are not instant kill but causes you to be more active= First boss in Lost Island. That robot in Lost Island does not really do a lot of damage but the combination of the bubbles, lava, add ons and incinerate= Good time.
and the Force beat generic Swords and Magic any day. 8/26/14 That was my old signature but after RotHC, I went back to superheroes and swords and magic. Now waiting on Dragon Age and a SWTOR story expac for my Bioware fix 7/30/15 Returned for KotFE. Finally, a story expac.

Joesixxpack
10.24.2012 , 08:17 AM | #12
New and innovative social stuff? Great idea OP, I'd like to see it too.

Standing around waiting in queues, that one's on you dude. Go do something, the Fleet Party Wagon won't be spawning and following you around for at least a few more patches.

Pcolapat
10.24.2012 , 09:51 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Tim-ONeil View Post
Interesting. Can you actually propose an alternative? If so it might have merit (at least to generate discussion).
I purposely remained ambiguous as to not point out how other MMOs are doing things. I didn't want to come off as a fanboy of some other game. What inspired me to post this was the reading about some other game that is currently in development. I thought their ideas were interesting.

Also, I think it kind of strange that MMOs are still setting their servers up the way they are when time and time again the same issues pop up. I would have thought with such competition and advances in technology that newer games would have innovated and changed by now. I have seen some moving away from the old standard PVE,PVP, RP servers and integrating them into one server that is phased and allows for more grouping and social options for players.

I am not really offering an alternative, but I feel that too many MMOs have stuck with the same thing for too long and create the same social problems over and over again. I would like for swtor to try something else.
Anything that is done repetitively can be done by a computer. That is why right brained people will eventually rule the world.

Urael
10.24.2012 , 10:19 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Pcolapat View Post
I purposely remained ambiguous as to not point out how other MMOs are doing things. I didn't want to come off as a fanboy of some other game. What inspired me to post this was the reading about some other game that is currently in development. I thought their ideas were interesting.

Also, I think it kind of strange that MMOs are still setting their servers up the way they are when time and time again the same issues pop up. I would have thought with such competition and advances in technology that newer games would have innovated and changed by now. I have seen some moving away from the old standard PVE,PVP, RP servers and integrating them into one server that is phased and allows for more grouping and social options for players.
I am not really offering an alternative, but I feel that too many MMOs have stuck with the same thing for too long and create the same social problems over and over again. I would like for swtor to try something else.
So basically you are looking for a "multi-shard-mega-server" were the physical servers are transparent to the player. There would essentually be only one "realm" to log into. OWPvP only in certain "PvP zones" (a la Anarchy Online) with the "realm" being a PvE with designated PvP zones and no "role playing" ( has a game ever enforced real RP conventions?). Something like that?

bravotwentysev
10.24.2012 , 10:30 AM | #15
Oh dear god dont ask to remove instancing. I will not go back to the days of early EQ guilds and people rushing, racing to the boss that just popped. Guilds C@ckblocking each other causing server drama momma's that lead to messages boards blowing up with hatred. Guilds training others causing them to fail till their guild gets on.

Instancing made MMO's even better.

To the OP as others have stated either make a group, make friends, join a guild or enjoy the long waits.
Jundra Nemaim Pestilence
2 account Subscriber To bad so sad F2P whinners

Foambreaker
10.24.2012 , 10:40 AM | #16
The standard "Entertainment Bite" world wide is 2 people 2 hours; "a couple", an evening of entertainment.

The first game that has the courage to buck the trend and go with that will win it all.

As it stands there are still a lot of game developers who really think that my wife and I want to play with 8-16 strangers and loud mouth kids; not we dispise that aspect of these games.

bravotwentysev
10.24.2012 , 10:46 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post
The standard "Entertainment Bite" world wide is 2 people 2 hours; "a couple", an evening of entertainment.

The first game that has the courage to buck the trend and go with that will win it all.

As it stands there are still a lot of game developers who really think that my wife and I want to play with 8-16 strangers and loud mouth kids; not we dispise that aspect of these games.
Isnt that the case in the meaning of MMO? Not DUO. IF they only made, developed and tiered it to DUo's trust me alot of people wouldnt play. The game be to easy and not to enticing.
Jundra Nemaim Pestilence
2 account Subscriber To bad so sad F2P whinners

simplius
10.24.2012 , 11:06 AM | #18
actually waiting time is very important to mmos,,that is where the social action of the game is

also gives time for stretching, getting drinks, bathroom

and this game could use more of that,,the "instant group-teleport" system is very bad in that way

back in the old days we met in the nearest town, and fought our way to the dungeon, so when we got there

, we had already "connected" a little,,also some of the funniest stuff in wow happened at social hubs

at auction house, waiting for the boat or zeppelin,,those funny small episodes never happns here

Lostpenguins
10.24.2012 , 11:18 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by SentinelDranoel View Post
One of my biggest complaints in all video games is this; MORE DAMAGE AND HEALTH DOES NOT = DIFFICULTY. COMPLICATED BOSS MECHANICS AND PATTERNS WITH HIGH RISK VS LOW RISK REWARDS = FUN BOSS BATTLES. Example. Fight a boss in easy,normal and hard and it is the same exact battle. Fight a boss in easy, normal and hard and he uses new tactics that are not instant kill but causes you to be more active= First boss in Lost Island. That robot in Lost Island does not really do a lot of damage but the combination of the bubbles, lava, add ons and incinerate= Good time.
I'm going to focus on the highlighted part. This first boss uses the mechanics of adds, interrupts, dot cleansing, and avoiding fire on the ground (aoe damage circles). Those mechanics are nothing new. They've been in MMO's for years and years. It's very hard to do anything different in terms of boss mechanics. Sometimes you'll get it right, and other times you won't, but more often than not, it'll feel like it's just another generic boss fight with some little gimic.

Look at the Dread Guards in TFB. They are:
Tank swaps
DPS burn
Avoid Green Circles (unless you have Doom)
Interrupt
Run away from boss
Kill Adds
Kill bosses in a certain order

Those are pretty standard mechanics.

Quote: Originally Posted by Pcolapat View Post
It's not enough to try something different. It's gotta be something that is good. Basically wanting change w/out giving some ideas to change... that's not really helping. You might as well say, "I want a better MMO." And when people ask for suggestions, you just shrug your shoulders.

Pcolapat
10.24.2012 , 11:26 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
So basically you are looking for a "multi-shard-mega-server" were the physical servers are transparent to the player. There would essentially be only one "realm" to log into. OWPvP only in certain "PvP zones" (a la Anarchy Online) with the "realm" being a PvE with designated PvP zones and no "role playing" ( has a game ever enforced real RP conventions?). Something like that?
Pretty close. The the players who select OWPVP as one of their profile options will only see other players with that option checked. All areas in the game are OWPVP to them. They would still be able to access other players through group finder to do flashpoints and such because they are actually on the same server, just in a different shard. RP players could have similar options as well. Basically I would like to have access to the entire player population for some things and only some of the population for other things.

Not only that, I would like the game to be intelligent and suggest friends that have similar gaming habits. Much like twitter and facebook does. The game could recognize when and how often you are online and what you like to do and pair you with other players with similar habits. Often you find people in the game that you like, but they play the game a lot differently than you do. It either forces you to play the way they like to play or them to play the game the way you like to play. it would be helpful for the game to offer suggestions based on actual data that will give you a good match for grouping and friends. The technology exists for that and many MMOs are going to start using it.
Anything that is done repetitively can be done by a computer. That is why right brained people will eventually rule the world.