Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Antiquated MMO Social Organization

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Antiquated MMO Social Organization

Pcolapat
10.24.2012 , 02:40 AM | #1
One thing that really frustrates me about this game is waiting around to do whatever it is I want to do. I am sure this is true for just about everyone. I have been doing a bit of reading about how other MMOs do things and how they address player interaction. Frankly, this frustration is not unique with SWTOR. I have experienced the same frustrations in other MMOs that shared a similar ssocial organization as this one. My point is this. The way the servers are set up in this game is the old way of doing things. When I first started playing MMOs, almost a decade ago, the same organization of servers was being used. Newer MMOs should be trying to do new things when it comes to social organization and many of them are, but SWTOR has not embraced this change. I feel that moving forward, Bioware really needs to take a serious look at how the social structure of this game is organized. It should appear that we are all playing on the same server but with ways to personalize your experience within that one server.

I logged off tonight while waiting in a queue. A player should be able to log in and do what they want to do and not stand around waiting on a queue to pop. There are just too many other alternatives for people to entertain themselves online for this game to have players waiting around in queues. It is a problem.
Anything that is done repetitively can be done by a computer. That is why right brained people will eventually rule the world.

Tim-ONeil
10.24.2012 , 02:51 AM | #2
Interesting. Can you actually propose an alternative? If so it might have merit (at least to generate discussion).
Rhy Phin
Kl Nemonica
The Ren Legacy Server: Ebon Hawk US/EAST

Stenrik
10.24.2012 , 03:13 AM | #3
I was wondering if he was suggesting cross-server capability, even cross-server zones like MoP supposedly does.
But as long as there is an imbalance of combat roles, the over-represented role will ALWAYS be waiting, regardless of the size of the pool.

But if we're talking about even bigger changes, it sounds like a suggestion to get rid of instancing and do PVP/PVE strictly in an open-world manner like old Ilum/world bosses. And I'm just not confident that would ever work in a game like this, for many reasons. One of them is the population fluctuation between primetimes.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but again, probably not in a game like this.

Tim-ONeil
10.24.2012 , 03:21 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Stenrik View Post
But as long as there is an imbalance of combat roles, the over-represented role will ALWAYS be waiting, regardless of the size of the pool.
That's very true so cross server LFG wouldn't necessarily help anything for these players. In fact on our now consolidated servers the people complain because they used to be one of a bunch of DPS on their server and now they are one in a ton of DPS on their server.

Since a game will never be able to force you into a play style if you really want to maximize the grouping mechanic tanks and healers are the most in demand. Depending on the server you'll see which is needed more and you might even play a character like that for more consistent pops.

This is the only real drawback I see to the 4 man group structure. In the 5 man group balanced game you are taking an extra DPS out of the potential pool.

There are ways around this though. Make friends and set up your own groups would be the first one I can think of.
Rhy Phin
Kl Nemonica

Stenrik
10.24.2012 , 03:55 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Tim-ONeil View Post
This is the only real drawback I see to the 4 man group structure. In the 5 man group balanced game you are taking an extra DPS out of the potential pool.
Yeah I remember making a topic awhile back that questioned the devs' decision for 4-man groups. I guess they wanted this as something help differentiate themselves from WoW. And they probably wanted to avoid 6, as starts feeling less like a group and more like an ops, so they settled with 4. Also people would be winning conversation roles less frequently as 5 or 6, and would probably start feeling distanced from the cutscenes.

It would have been interesting if they had a system that allowed more than 4 in a raid, and just scaled with difficulty. However, then they'd have to scale the loot too, since people would reject any other dps after the 4-man group was reached, for a better chance at drops...

So yeah, no good suggestions from me on that one.

Cretinus
10.24.2012 , 03:57 AM | #6
I might have missed the point here, but what exactly is the suggested alternative?

Tim-ONeil
10.24.2012 , 04:01 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Cretinus View Post
I might have missed the point here, but what exactly is the suggested alternative?
There wasn't one sadly. We've been doing the OP's work for him I guess.
Rhy Phin
Kl Nemonica

Snorlaxo
10.24.2012 , 04:26 AM | #8
We definately need a more updated social structuring. I think it's best when you can really relate to your character.
To do this:
You enter your yearly income
You're ethnicity
You're age
Using these traits, all your clothing, monetary and item rewards are scaled to reflect your social standing.
Lowest income earners, your clothing options range from rags to checkered shirts.
Top 10% income earners must wear corusanty formal clothing at all times.
There are also certain sections of the republic fleet which cater to certain ethnicities which allow for discounts in your own chosen ethnicity.
(█∭∭∭∭██(o)█Ξ█|/[▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

Soluss
10.24.2012 , 04:35 AM | #9
If I am reading you correctly, your beef is that the game isnt hand holding enough to cause social things to happen. You are mad because you wait all day for a group que to pop and it doesnt pop often enough.

Here is a way to fix that. Instead of waiting for the game to make social interaction happen... Be social. Make some friends and play with them instead of waiting for a que. I cant believe you need to be hand held to be social. Thats kind of anti social.

Its like going on facebook and expecting the website to populate your friends list and force communication between people. Its like going to a bar and expecting the bartender to hook you up with a date.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

simplius
10.24.2012 , 07:07 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Snorlaxo View Post
We definately need a more updated social structuring. I think it's best when you can really relate to your character.
To do this:
You enter your yearly income
You're ethnicity
You're age
Using these traits, all your clothing, monetary and item rewards are scaled to reflect your social standing.
Lowest income earners, your clothing options range from rags to checkered shirts.
Top 10% income earners must wear corusanty formal clothing at all times.
There are also certain sections of the republic fleet which cater to certain ethnicities which allow for discounts in your own chosen ethnicity.
thats a good idea,,i dont like poor people,,,why? because they were stupid enough to let me take their stuff