Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

[Guide] Sentinel PvP


Spideyknight's Avatar


Spideyknight
01.12.2012 , 07:57 AM | #131
@exmode

http://www.swtor.com/fr/community/sh...d.php?t=103780

That is the thread that contains the build I referenced. It is not a hybrid, it is a focus build that ignores all shi-cho talents. This is how I know you didn't read it. You essentially setup a strawman and just started raging at it. Which is fine, there's no reason to continue this discussion anyway. That build was trying to balance defense with offense but shield generators appearently are of limited use in pvp so 100% offense is the way to go.

A day late and a dollar short of relevancy, my apologies. Enjoy.

studymuffin's Avatar


studymuffin
01.12.2012 , 01:24 PM | #132
i have another question about damage dealing. When your off your rotation (when theyre on cd) what moves do you use? Like do you use blade storm, slash, master strike?

Rankith's Avatar


Rankith
01.12.2012 , 02:51 PM | #133
Quote: Originally Posted by studymuffin View Post
i have another question about damage dealing. When your off your rotation (when theyre on cd) what moves do you use? Like do you use blade storm, slash, master strike?
Slash is the filler focus spender when you have nothing else better to spend it on. Master strike as Watchman is decent, but situational. Blade Storm will basically never be used except in a rare situation where they are at range and you have plenty of focus and nothing better to do.

That said, if all my good stuff is on CD, unless I need to burn my target right then I'm going to be Striking to build up focus for when all that comes off CD. In situations where I need more damage, or have plenty focus, I will either be Slashing or using Master Strike. Just depends on the situation.

EasymodeX's Avatar


EasymodeX
01.12.2012 , 03:22 PM | #134
Quote:
That is the thread that contains the build I referenced. It is not a hybrid, it is a focus build that ignores all shi-cho talents. This is how I know you didn't read it. You essentially setup a strawman and just started raging at it.
1. Originally, you referenced a Focus spec. Not a hybrid spec. You still haven't posted a link to the spec. Yet, none of that is relevant because ...

2. You still haven't admitted that you were incorrect when you claimed that taunt required Soresu. This fact has zero relation to the choice of Soresu or Shii Cho.

3. Not using ShiiCho makes a 3% difference in damage. You are still significantly incorrect on your original damage estimates.

4. The other arguments had no relevance to Soresu vs. Shii Cho. You can farm medals using either a Focus spec or a hybrid spec, since your spec does not stop you from swapping to Soresu. Etc.


So, grats on continuously throwing up random "straw mans" while the original points still stand.

firesprite_ea's Avatar


firesprite_ea
01.12.2012 , 04:07 PM | #135
As many seem to be favouring Watchman spec I do hope ppl will be able to explain a bit this.

Merciless zeal gives you 2% on crits. Then Zen gives you 100% crtit and 1% heal per tick. Now my questions are:
1) do healing dots stack? (1+2) or do they overlap? One negates the other?
2) With Zen active you have 100% dot heal. Yet last I heard cauterize and overload sabre function separately (place 2 independent dots). Can someone pls confirm this? If these stacks are separate (and in case healing from crits does stack) do you get 1%+2%+2% to a total of 5% of heals per tick (so that is 6 seconds - 30% of your hp)
3) Some ppl comment that heals from watchman crits are not affected by pvp debuff. Others say they are. Anyone can actually give some final info on this?
4) I am currently combat specced and I still do not understand the situation with root on master strike. Seems like it just does not root the target 50% of time. In most cases they just run away


P.S. Oh and thank you for a very nice explanation on quite a lot of things.

Apocalypse-'s Avatar


Apocalypse-
01.12.2012 , 05:14 PM | #136
Quote: Originally Posted by firesprite_ea View Post
As many seem to be favouring Watchman spec I do hope ppl will be able to explain a bit this.

Merciless zeal gives you 2% on crits. Then Zen gives you 100% crtit and 1% heal per tick. Now my questions are:
1) do healing dots stack? (1+2) or do they overlap? One negates the other?
They tick individually (1% and 2%), but they do tick simultaneously.

Quote:
2) With Zen active you have 100% dot heal. Yet last I heard cauterize and overload sabre function separately (place 2 independent dots). Can someone pls confirm this? If these stacks are separate (and in case healing from crits does stack) do you get 1%+2%+2% to a total of 5% of heals per tick (so that is 6 seconds - 30% of your hp)
Close, but no. You only get 6 dot ticks total, if both Cauterize and Overload Saber are up, you get 3 auto-crits on each, 6x 3% for 18% of your health in ~3 seconds. Zen used to be 2% to the group, so it'd be 24% in 3 seconds, but I do not expect them to un-nerf that anytime remotely soon.

Quote:
3) Some ppl comment that heals from watchman crits are not affected by pvp debuff. Others say they are. Anyone can actually give some final info on this?
I believe they are, though expertise counters this and nets you only -20% healing with a full set of Champion gear.

Quote:
4) I am currently combat specced and I still do not understand the situation with root on master strike. Seems like it just does not root the target 50% of time. In most cases they just run away
Extremely buggy skill is extremely buggy. That's basically the only explanation on this.
Rookie / Trage / Za'ell
"I didn't say I left the Jedi Order. It left ME." ―Jolee Bindo
All the way to Alderaan

Rankith's Avatar


Rankith
01.12.2012 , 05:17 PM | #137
Quote: Originally Posted by firesprite_ea View Post
As many seem to be favouring Watchman spec I do hope ppl will be able to explain a bit this.

Merciless zeal gives you 2% on crits. Then Zen gives you 100% crtit and 1% heal per tick. Now my questions are:
1) do healing dots stack? (1+2) or do they overlap? One negates the other?
2) With Zen active you have 100% dot heal. Yet last I heard cauterize and overload sabre function separately (place 2 independent dots). Can someone pls confirm this? If these stacks are separate (and in case healing from crits does stack) do you get 1%+2%+2% to a total of 5% of heals per tick (so that is 6 seconds - 30% of your hp)
3) Some ppl comment that heals from watchman crits are not affected by pvp debuff. Others say they are. Anyone can actually give some final info on this?
4) I am currently combat specced and I still do not understand the situation with root on master strike. Seems like it just does not root the target 50% of time. In most cases they just run away


P.S. Oh and thank you for a very nice explanation on quite a lot of things.
1) Yes they stack (both work), you will get an 18% heal when you pop Zen
2)Seems like you slightly misunderstand Zen. Zen makes your next 6 dots crit and heal your entire party for 1%. So if you have both OS and Cauterize on a target, the next 6 dot ticks will crit and heal your party in addition to yourself. So it could be 2 OS ticks and 4 cauterize, 6 cauterize, etc.
3) Think so, on list to test/confirm im just lazy and playing too much to do testing haha.
4) At first, my guide said it was bugged, I later tested and it seemed fine. However, it does still appear to be buggy and sometimes simply not apply the root regardless of resolve etc.

firesprite_ea's Avatar


firesprite_ea
01.12.2012 , 11:54 PM | #138
Heya!
Thank you for the explanation!
Hmm... if heals are getting this pvp i dont really understand how ppl get this insane healing in warzones (seen some SS with 450-500k dmg and 100k+ heal). This does look very nice, so even though I enjoy playing combat i will try watchman to see how plausible this is. But then again, I do not want to pvp that much untill patch 1.1 is out and lvl 50 are removed from warzones into the special braket.

Oh and one more thing. We usually play in group: my wife (shadow), me (sentinel) and my friend (sage). So we always get a dedicated healer. Well as "always" as can be in the somewhat hectic tempo of of the pvp battles. With this in mind, I find the idea of using combat for pvp somewhat more attractive. After all, a set of precision slash + blade rush+blade storm+ blade rush+blade rush usually takes out huge chunks of enemy's HP. And with ZEN the cost for BR is basically 1 focus so after PS you can land ant 4 of them for a lot of dmg and finish off with BS.

Apocalypse-'s Avatar


Apocalypse-
01.13.2012 , 12:05 AM | #139
Quote: Originally Posted by firesprite_ea View Post
Heya!
Thank you for the explanation!
Hmm... if heals are getting this pvp i dont really understand how ppl get this insane healing in warzones (seen some SS with 450-500k dmg and 100k+ heal). This does look very nice, so even though I enjoy playing combat i will try watchman to see how plausible this is. But then again, I do not want to pvp that much untill patch 1.1 is out and lvl 50 are removed from warzones into the special braket.
You mean like http://s856.photobucket.com/albums/a..._10_20_013.jpg ?
Look at my alt+4 (top left), it's about 40% Zen/Dot crits and about 60% Rakata Medpac.

Quote:
Oh and one more thing. We usually play in group: my wife (shadow), me (sentinel) and my friend (sage). So we always get a dedicated healer. Well as "always" as can be in the somewhat hectic tempo of of the pvp battles. With this in mind, I find the idea of using combat for pvp somewhat more attractive. After all, a set of precision slash + blade rush+blade storm+ blade rush+blade rush usually takes out huge chunks of enemy's HP. And with ZEN the cost for BR is basically 1 focus so after PS you can land ant 4 of them for a lot of dmg and finish off with BS.
Level with watchman for a bit, learn the rotation (it is very far from straightforward), and you'll quickly find that the kind of burst that PS/Zen Combat combo does is the standard fare for Watchman.
Rookie / Trage / Za'ell
"I didn't say I left the Jedi Order. It left ME." ―Jolee Bindo
All the way to Alderaan

firesprite_ea's Avatar


firesprite_ea
01.13.2012 , 12:21 AM | #140
O_o lol. I can hardly fathom how you can get THIS much dmg. Insane. Though as I am lvl 42 atm (and I do NOT plan to level up more till 1.1 :P) i do not have access to rakata (though my wife crafts me some nice lvl 40 medpacks) the amount of dmg alone (even if I ignore heals) is simply overboard.

Ok, so here is then another question or two:
1) OS places burns on your next three melee attacks. Cyclone slash is a melee strike to up to 5 targets. Soooo.... When OS + CS do you burn 3/5 targets or is it counted as 1 attack (that sticks burn to 5 though).

2) Do you place all your dots on target as fast as you can? (i mean jump, OS in flight and then 3 melee + cauterise as fast as you can). Or, as some suggest (though it seems possible for pve only), you try to delay it (and extend it) by mixing some force attacks in between melee ones?