Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

[Guide] Sentinel PvP


Apocalypse-'s Avatar


Apocalypse-
01.03.2012 , 03:08 PM | #111
People, read the talents: http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/...ight/guardian/

Focus spec guardians get the same CD on sweep, but get 30% more damage directly to sweep, and unless they spec for free Freezing Force, an additional 6% to everything, making Shii-Cho do 11% more damage to everything.

Sentinels get a cheaper cost on Sweep (while also having better focus generation), the centering buffs, 2% reduced damage and reduced incoming AoE damage.

Guardians get the better deal on Focus.
Rookie / Trage / Za'ell
"I didn't say I left the Jedi Order. It left ME." ―Jolee Bindo
All the way to Alderaan

thanealpha's Avatar


thanealpha
01.03.2012 , 03:28 PM | #112
Note:

IMHO

If you are reading this with PvP in mind and you don't currently use the mouse to move and turn, or you do not know how to strafe, circle strafe, and keep forward facing on an opponent using mouse movement, then don't worry about ANYTHING posted in the OP and practice your movement skills first.

You could have 1 hotkey assigned to strike and do better knowing how to move than you will having 30 keybinds and the perfect attack prioritization if you don't know how to move and keep your target in the hit box.

This is KEY to being competative in PvP. Over ANY build decisions, ANY attack sequences, ANY specs, ANY gear.

You must know how to move. Practice Practice Practice.

Then worry about all the rest.

---

If you're reading for PvE tips....ok, enjoy! I think there's some real gems in here.

---

My suggestion to the OP. Blade Rush in the combat tree deserves more credit than you're giving it IMHO. I subscribe to the 'build focus - dump all your focus until your foe lies dead at your feet' school of thought for the Combat tree, and when doing so Blade Rush is a key component to that burst damage.

Rankith's Avatar


Rankith
01.03.2012 , 04:51 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by thanealpha View Post
My suggestion to the OP. Blade Rush in the combat tree deserves more credit than you're giving it IMHO. I subscribe to the 'build focus - dump all your focus until your foe lies dead at your feet' school of thought for the Combat tree, and when doing so Blade Rush is a key component to that burst damage.
Not sure what you mean by no credit. Obviously you get it as combat since its the final skill. Do you mean in the dealing damage section or something?

Spideyknight's Avatar


Spideyknight
01.04.2012 , 06:57 AM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
Guardians will be in ShiiCho. Guardians will hit 30/200 = 15% harder with Force Sweep.

Guardians also spend 3 (IIRC) Focus on their Force Sweep. Sentinels spend 1.

Incorrect: a Guardian will hit equally hard with Blade Storm and with Exhaust. They will also have an armor debuff focus builder.

Guardians also have an ability to grant them 6 Focus off the GCD, so they don't have to spend a GCD on Zealous Strike.

Yes, Focus Guardians are roughly equivalent, although the taunt + AOE taunt + AOE snare + 5% miss debuff + swap to Soresu and guard are somewhat better for teamplay.

Focus Sentinels have better survivability than Focus Guardians due to Rebuke, Force Camo.
Incorrect. Almost all of it. Look at the "guardian hits for 6k aoe with one ability" thread. A focus spec guardian in shi cho is doing it wrong, pve'ing or already max valor. You have to be and stay in soresu for all your guards/taunts to work. So they skip all the shi-cho talents. All of them. We will hit harder on every ability except sweep. They will probably double our medals but there's nothing we can do about that.

You could be a shi-cho guardian but why? 12 medals easily vs 8 at max. Big numbers are sweet but I'd rather have my max valor sooner. No one stance dances, it isn't worth your time. You choose your spec and then sit in the stance it's built around.

We will do more damage vs a single target they have greater aoe. That's pretty much what it boils down to. Also enrage(forgot what it's called for guardian) is a minute cd and they spec for 8 focus instead of 6. That's sweet but z strike gives me 40 focus a minute. The gcd is not a big deal. We aren't gcd locked unless you want to hit strike on your free gcds.

I already covered the armor debuff. Takes twenty seconds to build it to twenty percent. The fight will be decided by then.

MBirkhofer's Avatar


MBirkhofer
01.04.2012 , 08:04 AM | #115
ill tell you what.

I am getting sick and tired of casting stasis on a target. Standing there for 2 seconds, watching the animation. watching them choke mid air in blue.
only to suddenly get hit for 3k by my "stunned" target. who blinks out of it. My stasis cd suddenly reverting to not ever having been casted. As MY CLIENT thinks I cast stasis, but the server, and their client thinks I was standing there like a moron for 2s while they beat the hell out of me.
I die to that at least 2 times a day.

EasymodeX's Avatar


EasymodeX
01.04.2012 , 10:17 AM | #116
Quote:
Incorrect. Almost all of it. Look at the "guardian hits for 6k aoe with one ability" thread. A focus spec guardian in shi cho is doing it wrong, pve'ing or already max valor. You have to be and stay in soresu for all your guards/taunts to work. So they skip all the shi-cho talents. All of them. We will hit harder on every ability except sweep. They will probably double our medals but there's nothing we can do about that.

You could be a shi-cho guardian but why? 12 medals easily vs 8 at max. Big numbers are sweet but I'd rather have my max valor sooner. No one stance dances, it isn't worth your time. You choose your spec and then sit in the stance it's built around.

We will do more damage vs a single target they have greater aoe. That's pretty much what it boils down to. Also enrage(forgot what it's called for guardian) is a minute cd and they spec for 8 focus instead of 6. That's sweet but z strike gives me 40 focus a minute. The gcd is not a big deal. We aren't gcd locked unless you want to hit strike on your free gcds.

I already covered the armor debuff. Takes twenty seconds to build it to twenty percent. The fight will be decided by then.
Let's start from the top:

1. A focus guardian uses Shi Cho for 80%+ of their playtime. Taunts and AOE taunts are not restricted to stance. Whoring medals from Guard takes all of 2 minutes out of a 10+ minute Warzone. Try again.

2. Good players switch stances as it is relevant. If you want to know how a Guardian farms 12 medals and 280k damage, they typically start in Soresu with guard whoring on an acid pit, then swap to Shii Cho / Shien for the rest of the match. They cycle taunts and AOE taunts on cooldown in both stances.

3. You can't farm hardcore medals when you're not winning.

4. Pretty sure it's impossible for Guardians to have "greater AOE" when Sentinels have a 1 Rage cost Cyclone spammable, and Rebuke does multitarget damage. Buy a clue?

5. Sentinels have a chance to do more damage with Zealous Leap (and Strike, and Slash). Guardians get 6% more damage on those abilities. Generally speaking, neither has a significant single target DPS advantage.

6. The OGCD focus pump lets them unload 100% at the start. This is not hugely relevant from the discussion, since Zealous Strike is only 1 GCD away. Not sure why you brought this up in response to my post.

7. Guardian's range attack applies 2 stacks of sunder in a Focus spec. Also, their Sundering Strike will build 2 stacks. So by "20 seconds" you really mean 4.5-6.0 seconds if they put their mind to it.

Moldrany's Avatar


Moldrany
01.04.2012 , 10:28 AM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by MBirkhofer View Post
ill tell you what.

I am getting sick and tired of casting stasis on a target. Standing there for 2 seconds, watching the animation. watching them choke mid air in blue.
only to suddenly get hit for 3k by my "stunned" target. who blinks out of it. My stasis cd suddenly reverting to not ever having been casted. As MY CLIENT thinks I cast stasis, but the server, and their client thinks I was standing there like a moron for 2s while they beat the hell out of me.
I die to that at least 2 times a day.
Same often happens as Combat spec if you specced into the talent that makes Master Strike 'immobilize' targets.

Very annoying.
LvL 50 Combat Sentinel - My HD PvP stream! | Sentinel PvP movies

Psybin's Avatar


Psybin
01.05.2012 , 07:26 AM | #118
Do pacify and pommel strike work in pvp?

Moldrany's Avatar


Moldrany
01.05.2012 , 08:57 AM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by Psybin View Post
Do pacify and pommel strike work in pvp?
Pacify works, pommel strike is a PvE only ability (as well as opportunity strike).
LvL 50 Combat Sentinel - My HD PvP stream! | Sentinel PvP movies

georgemattson's Avatar


georgemattson
01.05.2012 , 09:34 AM | #120
This really ought to be stickied.